Tikka Barrel Removal and Install Tool Swap Thread

Brix8984

WKR
Currently building 3 tikkas. I bought all the tools for barrel removal and install and have done that just not wanting to shell out more money for headspace gauges. Anyone have creedmoor, 6.5 prc, or 7 prc gauges I could rent from them?
Thanks
Eric

Seubs070

FNG
Tools will be available soon if anyone needs them
I'm interested if they are available. Does it include the headspace gauges? I really only need the gauges and internal action wrench if that saves on some shipping cost.

I'm new here and happy to front the full cost until you get everything back.

I'm interested if they are available. Does it include the headspace gauges? I really only need the gauges and internal action wrench if that saves on some shipping cost.

I'm new here and happy to front the full cost until you get everything back.

For gauges, this is the best option, in my opinion, if you are not going to be doing a lot of barrel swapping.

Just find the page for whatever your barrel is chambered for and the gauge rental option is there.

Seubs070

FNG
For gauges, this is the best option, in my opinion, if you are not going to be doing a lot of barrel swapping.

Just find the page for whatever your barrel is chambered for and the gauge rental option is there.
Thanks for this. Do they have tikka action wrenches too? I've looked at that site before and haven't been able to find them.

Any reason I can't use a 1.25" crowsfoot wrench on the outside of the action with a torque wrench? This would just be to install a prefit barrel so 70ish foot pounds. Nothing crazy.

Thanks for this. Do they have tikka action wrenches too? I've looked at that site before and haven't been able to find them.

Any reason I can't use a 1.25" crowsfoot wrench on the outside of the action with a torque wrench? This would just be to install a prefit barrel so 70ish foot pounds. Nothing crazy.

The only reason I wouldn't is that I am not sure that the action is a true 1.25". Plus, the flex in the crowsfoot may lead to it slipping off and marring up your action. If that doesn't concern you, then you should be able to use that to torque a new barrel on.

What did you use to get the old barrel off?

Seubs070

FNG
The only reason I wouldn't is that I am not sure that the action is a true 1.25". Plus, the flex in the crowsfoot may lead to it slipping off and marring up your action. If that doesn't concern you, then you should be able to use that to torque a new barrel on.

What did you use to get the old barrel off?
Yeah that is what I was worried about as well.

I have a bare action with no barrel.

Seubs070

FNG
I can send you a 6.5CM guage and action wrench when they show back up. Should be any day now. PM me your address
Thank you! I am not seeing an option to PM you. Maybe because I don't have 10 posts yet? Can you PM me?

The Guide

WKR
Are you guys putting any picture or anti seize on the threads when installing new barrels?
It was recommended that a small amount of anti seize is applied. I put a little (less than pea sized) dab on a q-tip and put it a couple threads down on the barrel threads and screwed the action on. None came out at the shoulder joint so I'd say it was just right. Just need a little tiny bit.

Jay

Yes. Whether or not you should put some on the shoulder is debated last I researched it. I used a liberal amount, put it on the shoulder, and have not had any issues. My barrel is super accurate as well, so it didn't seem to hurt anything.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Technically if using antisieze on stainless it should be nickle based rather than copper antisieze (most common) shouldn't be used on stainless steel, don't know that it practically matters though. I also noted some folks use high moly content grease as well. I happened to have a tube of aeroshell 64 (5% moly) from rebuilding a winch so I used a little of that.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
To anyone in AK, particularly the Valley down to Homer, I have internal and external action wrenchs and a barrel vice. If you want to swap barrels, PM me. I'm keeping the tools, but glad to help people out.

I have 30-06 and 308 no-go guages, just use a properly FL sized case for the go gauge. Any cartridge based on something else, and you will need to provide your own. If it is the Creedmoor family, I'll buy the gauges if you pay shipping. Might do the same for other cartridge families that interest me (223, 22-250, Etc).