Tikka .308 questions

My T3X shoots the 175s really well. Here’s the recipe for that load. I’d give those a whirl before sweating the mag length. I’ve shot this rifle a fair bit to 700 yds and it’s a solid bet for a hit.

- Starline brass, CCI 200s
- 175 TMK, 42.5 gr Varget
- 2.800” COAL

Now this only gets me 2,514 fps from my 20” barrel, but I’ve heard that a slow hit is better than a fast miss. I think it’ll stay above the magical hunting number guys say on here (1,800) to around 500 yds.

Good luck

OP
Mike D Texas
I’ll say it again for those that missed it the first time; I’m not wanting to do this to chase the land, I’m wanting to do this to place the bullet in a better spot related to the neck/shoulder junction and the bearing surface of the bullet.

It may very well shoot at SAAMI length, that’s not what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Mike D Texas
My T3X shoots the 175s really well. Here’s the recipe for that load. I’d give those a whirl before sweating the mag length. I’ve shot this rifle a fair bit to 700 yds and it’s a solid bet for a hit.

- Starline brass, CCI 200s
- 175 TMK, 42.5 gr Varget
- 2.800” COAL

Now this only gets me 2,514 fps from my 20” barrel, but I’ve heard that a slow hit is better than a fast miss. I think it’ll stay above the magical hunting number guys say on here (1,800) to around 500 yds.

Good luck

If I can only get 2500fps out of this gun, I’ll sell it the next day.

I have a R700 5R 20” that shoots them at 2800fps with my hand loads, it’s just heavier than I want to carry for hunting, that’s why I bought the Tikka.

If I can only get 2500fps out of this gun, I’ll sell it the next day.

I have a R700 5R 20” that shoots them at 2800fps with my hand loads, it’s just heavier than I want to carry for hunting, that’s why I bought the Tikka.

What powder is giving you 2800 out of a 20” with 175s? That’s almost 7 PRC speeds from a 308 short barrel?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
The 175tmk in the M+ mag is perfect for neck/shoulder reloads. Im at 2.96 oal. Speeds comfortably above 2600 in 20"
I have a LA bolt stop but im pretty sure I didnt need to change it for the M+. I started out with LA mag but went to M+ .

Last edited:
Will do.

Just get a regular LA magazine and then take a file or Dremel to the bolt stop after removing it. It's so easy a monkey can do it. Then you can seat the bullet out long as you want, get some palma brass and really crank those pressures up!

OP
Mike D Texas
Just get a regular LA magazine and then take a file or Dremel to the bolt stop after removing it. It's so easy a monkey can do it. Then you can seat the bullet out long as you want, get some palma brass and really crank those pressures up!

I have a bolt stop on order.

I do have some Alpha SRP brass.

I also have some Sig 277 Fury hybrid brass that I am going to try as well.

It returned big gains in my 260AI. 3236fps with a Barnes matchburner 140 in a 24” barrel.

And before anyone freaks out yes I understand I’m probably kissing 80k psi with the load above.