Tikka 300 WSM magazine options for extra COAL

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I finally installed the Mountain Tactical long action bolt stop and magazine. Going off memory my current load is only 2.941 COAL but I was getting mashed tips with a shorter COAL in the factory mag. So I have a ton of room now.

Loading rounds into the mag they want to teeter a little bit,. And there isn't much of a click you can hear or feel putting the mag into the rifle. So it will take some getting used to.

But 3 rounds fit no problem with the bolt closed, and so far they cycle great. Still want to try the factory PRC mag.
I noticed with 30-06 the rounds want to stick up a littler. I don't have that issue with 300 WM.

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
This was my solution. I pulled the factory wsm magazine apart, cut out the rear wall with a dremel, smoothed it down as best I could, inserted and epoxied a piece of plastic, and then reassembled. The follower has some float, but it hasn’t affected feeding. It will now fit oal up to 3.100” with the factory short bolt stop.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5632.jpeg
    IMG_5632.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 25

gerry35

WKR
This was my solution. I pulled the factory wsm magazine apart, cut out the rear wall with a dremel, smoothed it down as best I could, inserted and epoxied a piece of plastic, and then reassembled. The follower has some float, but it hasn’t affected feeding. It will now fit oal up to 3.100” with the factory short bolt stop.
Really nice job, looks like it's going to work well.

Tahoe1305

WKR
With what dremel bit were you able to cut down into the mag well with for the back plastic?

I went crazy tonight with all the plastic factory options. Found it not to bad to pull apart a PRC and wsm. My issue is my PRC mag body is like .01” too tight for my wsm handloads (fits the factory stuff ok). My wsm mag fits them fine but they are too long.

I sanded the inside of the PRC mag body in an effort to make it work and got it close. But still not reliable feeding (brass neck getting caught on the metal lip in the front…weird wsm doesn’t have that metal btw). Swapped the bottom spring, plastic from the wsm.

I’m close, but would much prefer the wsm mag option you did if I can get that piece cut out.

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been a while since I modified that magazine, so I don’t specifically remember. Looking at it now I’m guessing that I either scored it repeatedly in the corner with a knife until it came out, or I might’ve used some kind of wire cutters or snips to cut out the plastic plate. Then I probably went in with sandpaper to smooth it out. I don’t have a dremel bit that would fit all the way in there. Then I used little pieces of cut-down carbon arrows to act as spacers & epoxied everything together. I did this about a year ago and have had zero issues with it since.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if Tikka will ever wake up and just toss the spacer and the .34" shorter bolt stop. They could save some money by eliminating useless parts from their rifles and then reloaders wouldn't have spend a fortune on aftermarket replacement magazines.

Unckebob

WKR
I wonder if Tikka will ever wake up and just toss the spacer and the .34" shorter bolt stop. They could save some money by eliminating useless parts from their rifles and then reloaders wouldn't have spend a fortune on aftermarket replacement magazines.
Most people shoot factory ammo. I would bet that most handloaders aren't looking for extra room in the magazine vs better feeding with Saami Spec cartridges.

They build rifles for the 90-95% buyers.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Most people shoot factory ammo. I would bet that most handloaders aren't looking for extra room in the magazine vs better feeding with Saami Spec cartridges.

They build rifles for the 90-95% buyers.
The people who run factory ammo wouldn't know the difference and Tikka would save money.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thanks for the help gents. I “think” my solution is gonna work for a while.

I did a bit of a hybrid OEM mag fix. Took a wsm and prc apart. Swapped spring, follower, then sanded down the prc body just a tad and filed down the metal component on the end. Holds 3x rounds with bolt closed. Feed almost smooth and reliably at longest OAL I need (2.98”)
. Best part…1.5oz! Think I could load 4x too if I put the prc spring/bottom back on in future.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on this thread using an aftermarket bottom metal with the HCA gen 2 mags? Website says Atlasworx won't work, but it doesn't mention any that will...