Thinking of tossing my shoulder mounts….

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve only ever kept my ram heads, which I euro. I suppose if it ever get a proper booner in another species I’d euro them as well.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I've done it to a few. Had a couple "practice" shoulder WT mounts that my brother did for taxidermy practice. I had hung them down in my barn/shop and the mice got to them. I took the horns off, stripped the hides off and gave the forms back to him. I have 5 shoulder mounts in the house and a bear rug. I would have to get something really spectacular or unusual to get any mount done at this time in my life.

To each is own. Whatever you feel is right for you. Personally, I would never dispose of my trophy mounts or the antlers. I would donate them first to an organization that could display them and possibly use them for educational/conservation purposes. Shit man, getting rid of my trophy mounts would be almost "sacrilegious" and disrespectful to the land and game I hunt. I would quit hunting before I do that.

WKR
I actually had some nice knife handles made out of a few racks. Kind of neat giving them to family with the stories behind the handles.

I wouldnt ever toss my shoulder mounts i have already. But the last 15 - 20 years I have went with antlers mounted on a plaque. Just works better for my space and pocketbook.

Just tossed two WT mounts this year. They were starting to look a little rough. Saved the racks and will do the euro kit mount with them at some point. Down to 5 WT shoulder mounts and a muley at the taxidermist now. Probably never mount another WT unless it's huge. I really like shoulder mounts and euros as well.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
To each is own. Whatever you feel is right for you. Personally, I would never dispose of my trophy mounts or the antlers. I would donate them first to an organization that could display them and possibly use them for educational/conservation purposes. Shit man, getting rid of my trophy mounts would be almost "sacrilegious" and disrespectful to the land and game I hunt. I would quit hunting before I do that.
My point of view also. Very well said.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've gone to mostly Euros myself.
Saves money and I dont have the taxidermist drama.
If I wanted to get rid of shoulder mounts I would
pull the antlers off at least. No way I'm getting rid of those.

I was thinking the same thing. I have my turkey slam all full body mount and they take up so much room. i have 4 deer heads and regret all but 1. Now I have a Brown Bear and Black Bear getting full body mount and not even sure if they will fit through the door

Rogue Bay

WKR
Up until a handful of years ago I struggled with a little bit of a taxidermy addiction. At one time or another I have had dozens of shoulder mounts, rugs, full body mounts, birds and euros. As I’ve aged my taste has changed and I have weeded out most of my mounts. I’ve given them to friends and schools, etc., but have removed the antlers/skull caps from some older mounts that didn’t really do it for me.

I have a beautiful whitetail mount right now that is sitting on the floor in my friend’s office and I go back and forth on removing the antlers and just putting them on a plaque. I just can’t decide and don’t want to regret it later.

I’m down to a bison euro, a color phase Boone & Crockett black bear rug (rolled up in the spare room closet), the aforementioned whitetail shoulder mount on my friend’s office floor, a bobcat rug, a badger full body mount I keep at my office and a couple of ducks. I also have a pronghorn at the taxidermist awaiting transformation into a shoulder mount and I’m really stressed out about where I’m going to put it.

For me personally I guess it comes down to the quality of the mount, the uniqueness of the animal and/or the personal meaning. The rest go on the rafters or are euro mounted and hung in the garage. I know that doesn’t help the OP with the predicament, but there it is. I think you should just do whatever feels right to you.

At the stage I am at in my life I can not even imagine tossing a mount of one of my animals. It hurts to even think about it.

Nope,used to have a few deer,two bobcats,a coyote rug and a wolverine hide and got rid of it all.I actually have one European mount and one single antler that’s small but unique.
My taste changed,i gave away a bunch of antlers to someone who makes knives etc.
Keep what you like,donate the rest and enjoy the meat is what i do.

Laramie

WKR
I built a 30x40 man cave so I have a place to hang mine- I love seeing them and remembering the hunts. Some day my kids will have to sell them but they are nice and will at least be worth something. There are many worse things on estate auctions.

KenLee

WKR
I built a 30x40 man cave so I have a place to hang mine- I love seeing them and remembering the hunts. Some day my kids will have to sell them but they are nice and will at least be worth something. There are many worse things on estate auctions.
In South Carolina, you can't sell the antlers of a native species if attached at the pedicle...well legally anyway. Folks do, but I know 2 people who were criminally charged by DNR for selling shoulder mounts on Craigslist.