Thinking of tossing my shoulder mounts….

S-3 ranch

WKR
Regrettably, all our mounts and euros get sold for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale we'll burden our kids with upon our expiry. So it goes...
I mounted lots of stuff when I was younger and hung them @ my moms house, when she died, I reevaluated my trophy room and it’s all European mount, with two exception my B&C whitetail and pronghorn , the $$$ and space will be saved for something awesome

Attachments

• 77232E08-91C7-441C-B18D-9AD5026356A3.jpeg
    77232E08-91C7-441C-B18D-9AD5026356A3.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 55
  • 0A86EC1A-41E6-4387-A0E8-E3CD25CC9E79.jpeg
    0A86EC1A-41E6-4387-A0E8-E3CD25CC9E79.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 55

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Regrettably, all our mounts and euros get sold for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale we'll burden our kids with upon our expiry. So it goes...
My good freind had to sell his father in law’s taxidermy collection. He estimated a million invested? He had a separate house for a trophy room everything you can legally harvest was probably represented. Lots of Africa stuff. He did say it was a pain and pennies on the dollar. I probably have 30? Actual shoulder or life size mounts. Lost count of euro or just horns we have saved. I am pretty sure my family will keep maybe half. I have an elk and mule deer plaque my grandpa killed it’s cool to have some stuff from the prior generations. It depends on the family but not every family is just going to yard sale dad’s trophy room the day he passes. Or moms trophies or whoever. They are memories for families that have hunted together for generations. I’m sure a few of my mounts will end up in a bar wearing a hat or something too ha ha but I know at least some will be kept for long after I am gone.

WKR
If I kill another ram debating European or shoulder mount. Leaning shoulder mount as I think each kid may want one when I am gone. The ram hasn't voted yet so may be stuck with one lol.

TSAMP

WKR
I've seen pictures at expos go for crazy money some guy painted. I'd rather spend that on some critters I tracked down and relive that experience.

I have a beaver and badger getting done. Ill bet guys here have spent that sort of cash on flowers or a vase for their lady over a couple year period.

It's all about perspective. Do what you want.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I get where you are coming from. 10 years ago I tossed a grizzly rug, dall sheep head and a really nice blacktail tail mount. All the memories of those hunts are in my mind. The only goal I have now is to kill a really nice deer on our property and then have it mounted and on display in our home.
I still have a superb bison and black bear hide and they just sit in the closest all rolled up.

When I first starting shoulder mounting whitetails it was because of "score" or becuase it was sort of "expected" by the local hunting guys including in-laws whatnot. I stopped this a long time ago and have only kept the shoulder mounts that actually mean something to me. For me its not just the horns, when i look at the animals, it takes me back to the moment. With my COVID brain getting worse every year, I like having the tangible animals in front of me as well as the intangible memories.

My daughters have both shot a couple nice whitetails pushing 125-130 and I've euroed all of them. If/when we have an especially memorable hunt it won't matter what score is. If they want a shoulder mount I will get it done.

One thing we did do with both of their first bucks was to get hair-on tanned hides. They were only $80 each, and they're super soft. When their beds are made they proudly put the deer hides on top.

WCB

WKR
Completely up to you. As some have stated get a replica skull and attach the horns to it. Maybe you need a set of rattling antlers? could use a set for that?

I am starting to do more Euros or anything 135ish and under I cap and screw to a shelf in the garage (I hate plaques). I have 14 or so shoulder mounts my wife has a couple...some pedestals and a full body Tahr. ALso some birds and a few pelts/skins. Unless I kill something pretty large Ill hold off on mounting. Of course if I kill a MT. Lion, bobcat fullbody no question. In the end it is up to you.

I never really got the guys that go hunting shoot something just to lop the horns off or toss them in a pile outside the house. Why wouldn't you just shoot a doe or the first thing that walked by?

WRM

WKR
Heck, pile em up in a nice basket for display. If really artsy, make a chandelier.

def90

WKR
Might as well leave them be.. Euro mounts are the hot thing right now, who knows, 10 years from now shoulder mounts might be the rage again and you will regret not having them.

A family member keeps many taxidermies animals or all types. He has a very large room just for that. Most of us do not. To him, each mount brings him back to the specific hunt details. For me, that happens when I'm cooking/eating them. To each their own.

Mojave

WKR
The only taxidermy I am not a fan of is pedistal mounts for those that have 8 foot ceilings and are doing it to fit into a space like that. They look very contrived.

I have also seen some really dumb looking stacks or nest of shoulder mounts. To me this looks capitally stupid.

This guyw would have looked a lot better on the wall.

These guys too as individuals.

I shot a "large" deer when I was HS and it was taxidermied. This past season I shot a noticeably larger deer and only did a skull mount. The deer i was trying to shoot this past season probably would have been taxidermy worthy. My guess is that he was a 160ish class deer. He'll be bigger next season so i'll probably have him properly caped and get all the critical measurements for him

I like shoulder mounts, especially when they have nice capes. I mounted my first high country, early season buck. The next year I shot one even bigger so I mounted him too!

Attachments

• 20221031_230045.jpg
    20221031_230045.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200612_201605.jpg
    20200612_201605.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 74

WKR
When I was younger and without a few shoulder mounts, this deer for sure would have been mounted. Not huge but solid archery buck off my farm last fall.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, only unique critters getting the shoulder treatment now. So this ram is going up lol. Kids can keep or donate or whatever. I love looking at them as I workout in the basement.

Its gonna take a boomer of a whitetail to get mounted for me anymore.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like Euro and shoulder mounts.

I‘ve got them stashed everywhere. Someday the kids will have to figure out what to do with them. Oh well.

I am working on doing my own stuff but it won’t be a ton. More of a check off the bucket list for something I have always wanted to try. Other than that, I won’t be doing anything else. I have a full size bear and another rug. Everything else is a euro. Not a lot of money or space.