The What's & Why's on Citric Acid

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing your experience , I've packed some but have yet to need to use it. My understanding is it's only used to lower the ph level of the meat and not as a repellent you still need quality game bags for that. Your story reinforces my thoughts I'm going to have to look into this more

Bazookas

FNG
Curious if anyone found benefit from pre soaking their game bags in a citric acid solution?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been doing the citric acid thing for years. It’s sort of surprising to me when I talk to other people and they don’t use it.

It really helps get a crust started to keep bugs and other bacteria out. A spray bottle and citric acid go along on every hunt pretty much.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Koolabuck has a spray (haven't used it) and they have game bags soaked with a solution. I have the bags, they seem decent.

ganngus

WKR
Question for those in the thread, I used Citric Acid in southeast Alaska last year and had some meat loss from spoilage. I tried to keep it circulated and had it covered but the humidity was so damn high I could not keep it dry. I am going back and contemplating bringing gear to build a better meat rack/citric acid or bringing kill bags filled with ice.

If you had chance to bring large kill bags with ice/rocksalt or building meat rack/citric acid, which would be yalls prefer choice?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Question for those in the thread, I used Citric Acid in southeast Alaska last year and had some meat loss from spoilage. I tried to keep it circulated and had it covered but the humidity was so damn high I could not keep it dry. I am going back and contemplating bringing gear to build a better meat rack/citric acid or bringing kill bags filled with ice.

If you had chance to bring large kill bags with ice/rocksalt or building meat rack/citric acid, which would be yalls prefer choice?
I’ve never had meat spoilage. When we get a moose down, it gets a spray coat of citric acid before going into the bag.

If it take multiple days to get back, the meat is hung up every single night, I’ve been up late cutting meat poles in a downpour to get the meat hung and covered, no exceptions.

When I get home to hang it in my garage, I pulled the bag off of it, spray it again with the citric acid then put a fresh bag on it.