The Shoot2hunt Podcast

amassi

WKR
I think it actually would require a Governor and some state legislators with actual cajones so
don't get your hopes up.

Probably a topic for a different thread, sorry for the distraction folks.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
I think it actually would require a Governor and some state legislators with actual cajones so
don't get your hopes up.

Probably a topic for a different thread, sorry for the distraction folks.
I do believe they tried this in Texas and it's working its way through courts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Topics of discussion that interest me:
-What about the construction of a-tips makes terminal performance less consistent than ELD-murders?
-"Permanently" bonding rifle to a stock/chassis - Sounds appealing to me to ensure zero retention/consistency but what if you want/need to remove the action, what are the options? Need to ruin the stock? End up with a mess on the action that either needs to be re-bonded in the next application or some serious buffing to get off?

TX_Diver

WKR
Would be interested in hearing you guys talk about how people can actually practice more effectively.

I shoot from different positions, etc. but it still feels fairly scattered at times and not necessarily purposeful, even though it's much better than shooting a bunch of prone 3 round groups from a bipod and calling it good...

Topics of discussion that interest me:
-What about the construction of a-tips makes terminal performance less consistent than ELD-murders?
-"Permanently" bonding rifle to a stock/chassis - Sounds appealing to me to ensure zero retention/consistency but what if you want/need to remove the action, what are the options? Need to ruin the stock? End up with a mess on the action that either needs to be re-bonded in the next application or some serious buffing to get off?
Benchrest rifles have had actions glued into stocks for decades. And by "glued in" I mean no action screws, just adhesive holding the action into the stock. Thats in cartridges like 6PPC, 22PPC, etc. For larger cartridges they are often "glued and screwed", meaning they have action screws, but are epoxy bonded into the action as the primary thing securing the action to the stock.

To release an action, most BR gunsmitsh sit an electric iron or hot plate on the action until they can break the bond of the adhesive and pull the action out. Its generally quite non-destructive, although I did have a friend who wanted to change stocks on his BR rifle. My friend phoned the gunsmith that did the original stock work and asked about getting the action out of the stock. The gunsmith replied that he used a glue that was developed to hold heat resistant tiles on the space shuttle and the only way to release it was thermal shock - ie heat the action, then freeze it, repeating the process until the action came loose. My friend sold that rifle and built a new one.

ElPollo

WKR
I’d also love to have a podcast from Form about how to fund a 10,000+ round per year ammo habit. 😁 Or rather how to practice effectively without spending a quarter mill a year on ammo. I’m sure his 100 yard, three position drill would be a big part of that, but I’m sure there are other drills he would recommend. Tricks for reading wind in broken terrain would also be a great discussion although that might be hard on an audio only podcast.

Would be interested in hearing you guys talk about how people can actually practice more effectively.

I shoot from different positions, etc. but it still feels fairly scattered at times and not necessarily purposeful, even though it's much better than shooting a bunch of prone 3 round groups from a bipod and calling it good...
Build and break 1 shot drills. I do it for practice for both nrl hunter, hunting, and regular "PRS" style matches.

Hunting/nrl hunter practice, everything in hand and pack on, start timer, deploy gear like my tripod/bipod, backpack, range, make a good shot. See how long it took and try to get faster while maintaining accuracy. Can be 100yds on a 1in dot or 700yds on a 12x20 ipsc.

Do the same for comp training, I use a ladder, stand back like I would on a stage, mag in, bolt back, gear in hand, hit the timer approach ladder pick a step, I know the range and target already, deploy gear make a good shot. Repeat.

It cuts down on just burning ammo and I can work on the pre shot process.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Wyo_hntr

WKR
You need to get O.G. triple O.G. Mr. Kurt Racicot on again. I'd like to hear a more in depth discussion on his 6mm journey and if he's observed any difference in killing ability versus his prior #magnumlife.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Ryan Avery

Just a heads up the episode that is up on google under the sammi episode isnt the same as the one on the website. It was talking about tikka prefits and wildcats. Not sammi and primers.

Dobermann

WKR

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider

I second this motion...

grfox92

WKR

Have Form on to go over his shooting drills. I know there is a full thread on it. But a discussion is always good.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Seconded. “Just loop the wrist straps and make it work” isn’t quite as instructive as a video on the subject.
Yea I think the big benefit too is if it's a topic comes up a decent amount we can always just share the video with newer shooters. Similar to sharing a stickied thread. I've practiced with seated and poles and did decent but was more just setting up with what felt right and with no real technical instruction