The search for a pant

brocksw

WKR
Still on the hunt for a particular pant. Specifically looking for something that falls in between the Prana zion and kuiu attack in regards to fabric weight/warmth. Something similar to those two in feel. Needs to be a nylon pant and I prefer solids.

I've already tried Sitka ascent, kuiu tiburon, first lite corrugate guides, didn't feel like any of those matched my criteria.

I thought maybe dead bird offered something like that in the perimeter or gamma lt but can't find much user info on the perimeter.

Anything out there? Even from nonhunting brands?

Tried the Palisade pant or the Lefroy? They are light, sub 10oz each, seem like they would need a few washings to quieten down though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eddie bauer horizon guides and guide pros are pretty sweet, pros are lighter but horizons still breathe well. They both have a few different configurations and have good earth tone colors.

If you are okay with or searching for a looser fit check out the Duluth Trading DuluthFlex Dry on the Fly Nylon Pants. The shorts are awesome too. Their waist sizing is just slightly on the small side, so you may consider sizing up.

Finding a nylon pant is going to be tough. Perhaps you meant polyester? If so, try kuhl renegades. Eddie Bauer guides are good too.

I saw a post about Wrangler pants from Walmart for $21.....I picked up a few pairs and I'm constantly wearing them. Nice 4-way stretch, great feel, and for 1/5th the price of some of my "good pants". I've been pretty impressed, don't know about longevity, but for 20 bucks, im gonna give them hell!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe try the Kryptek Valhalla pants. I just got a pair in mandrake and I like them. I'm not sure if they are nylon though. I'll have to look. If you don't mind me asking why does it have to be nylon vs polyester. What are the benefits to one over the other.

Tried the Palisade pant or the Lefroy? They are light, sub 10oz each, seem like they would need a few washings to quieten down though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
My impression was these were light pants... Similar to the Pranas..im looking for something a little heavier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Should have mentioned I've also tried Eddie bauers(similar weight as Pranas and I didn't like the cut as much) and Kuhls (wide leg cut and noisy) ...

Last edited:
Eddie Bauer guide pants material felt like what I wanted but they fit me weird and I returned them. Kryptek Ragnar pants are super comfortable but they are poly, not nylon. I haven't found anything that matches my arborwear pants for form or function.

Maybe try the Kryptek Valhalla pants. I just got a pair in mandrake and I like them. I'm not sure if they are nylon though. I'll have to look. If you don't mind me asking why does it have to be nylon vs polyester. What are the benefits to one over the other.
In my experience nylon pants are more durable, dry more quickly, and don't hold water or stretch as much. I've never been a big fan of a lot of the Sitka pants for this reason, but I do use the timberlines when snow is on the ground because of the waterproof seat and knees. I do believe the new ascent pant is nylon but it's super thin and lightweight and I liked the feel of the Pranas a little more.

Which ascents have you tried? The 2017 version is much lighter than the previous models and much more breathable.
Tried both... I liked the Pranas over the new ascents.

I'm looking for a goldilocks pant that's in between that lightweight early season pant and a kuiu attack...per my OP

I'll second the wrangler stretch pant from Walmart. Nylon spandex mix. Slightly lighter than the attack pants but mine are also skinnier from the knee down compared to kuiu pants.

Last year target and Walmart had a non stretch nylon wrangler pant. Might still find them online. They have a normal relaxed cut. Although no stretch they aren't restrictive to move in. I replaced my tiburon with them. They are just right for the mountain west until it gets near freezing when I go to my hardscrabble pants.

Haglofs Rugged II Mountain Pants - Best pant I own and I am super hard on gear and clothing.
The rugged actually looks heavier than the attack judging by the g/m^2 (which may not be apples to apples). That looks like a super nice pant that is very comparable to the Sitka timberline.

They do have the mid II fjell pant that looks like it would about right though. I'm not sure on the g/m^2 for the Zions though.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I would say that the first lite obsidians fall in between my zions and attack pants. I've busted brush in the Oregon coast range a few times in the obsidians and they seem to hold up well. The zions have been my go to lately but that's just because I can get them for around 40 bucks a pair so if they get shredded I'm not to worried

Back