Fabric recommendations to reinforce butt and pant cuff

Idaboy

WKR
Anyone sew on a seat, knee or pant cuff reinforcement fabric? Idea would be like on the sitka Timberline pants. I have those but they are too warm for Sept....the other lightweight sitka, kuiu, prana pants that I use could really use the seat reinforcement and at least the lower pant/cuff reinforcement.

Anyone do this? What fabric would you recommend? I was looking at rockywoods and some other outdoor fabric stores....doesn't need to be waterproof, just water resistant and also something that would be quiet/brushed fabric (not noisy nylon)....
Thoughts? Project examples? Suggestions?

Thanks?

Attachments

• B1DE36EE-7148-4494-9BD4-2DD3ED7CDE32.jpeg
    B1DE36EE-7148-4494-9BD4-2DD3ED7CDE32.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 52
OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
Anyone patch their sitka gear? Any recs on fabric?

CB1

FNG
Curious as well. Used some waterproof fabrics but they were not very quiet. A cordura may work. Should be quieter than some of the ripstop nylons.

GotDraw?

WKR
Remember this-
The fabric reinforcements you put on pant cuffs and knees might make your pants unusable for stalking due to the heavy fabric making a swishing sound as your pant cuffs/knee fabric rubs against the other knee/pant cuff.

Knee and cuff fabric will also rub against brush...

You'll need a sturdy but quiet, napped surface fabric.

Not sure how to find that.

JL

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
1000D cordura nylon. 40% less weight than canvas and 10x abrasion resistance. Unless you rub your legs together like a cricket, cordura is quiet. I hunt in AZ where I need resistance to thorn and cactus spine as well. 1000D cordura nylon works for me.
I just purchased 2 yards of this material off Amazon to patch the knees on all my pants, states that it's water resistant also. I have some pants that had this stuff factory equipped and it wears like iron.

I would have gone with regular ole 500D cordura, but if noise is a major concern you might consider Tweave. It's also stretchier than cordura. But you're trading durability.

yfarm

WKR
Ultrasuede, Alcantara, generic versions exist, found a camo version on amazon but out of stock. Quiet durable havent tried it for thorns but in cowboy land synthetic leather chaps are sold I suspect are made of the same material. Probably a thicker version of cabelas camo fabric

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts which I have never implemented on clothing.

I’ve seen some milspec spandex out there I swear, then maybe put a coating underneath to make it more water resistant.

Neoprene.

300, 500, or 1000D cordura.

Some companies will sell swatches which you could get a feel for multiple different fabrics. I wish I would have done that. Instead I have a mini fabric warehouse now.

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
This is what I found and will try to use....it's a little rough texture but pretty quiet, not quite as tight a weave as the material sitka uses on its Timberline pants but close....seems tough....now I need to learn how to sew

mgstucson

FNG
They do make kevlar thread too. I have had leather work gloves sewed with it and the leather wore out before the thread did.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, i tried a cordura on the seat of a set of pants years ago with unintended consequences.

Yes it was great for sitting on wet ground, but when the fabric under the cordura got wet from wicking or sweat, it didn’t dry out.

TaperPin

WKR
The uncoated 1000d nylon pack cloth used in Carhartt arctic extreme bibs and jackets is quiet, breaths and is very durable. Uncoated pack cloth isn’t very common, but someone must sell it, or there must be a way to strip coating off commonly available fabrics since it wants to fall off on its own in high wear areas.