Ascent + lightweight baselayer or heavier pant

Doing some last minute dialing while I try ti not look at the calendar (I can't leave for elk for 10 days 😅)

I have a couple pant options and I am trying to get a proper setup for the forecast. Monthly Forecast calling for lows in 20s in the low country over the dates I'll be elk hunting, and I was originally expecting hot so I had planned on bringing my ascent pants. Now I'm considering ascent pant + a core lw or midweight baselayer bottom

I have historically used my attack pants and I absolutely could just run those, but they're just a touch hot for me if it's 70+ during the day and I'm moving uphill fast.

I do also have traverse pants, they seem to split the gap.

I've never brought baselayer bottoms elk hunting before to save room in my pack and since I generally hunt earlier its warmer.

I'm even considering getting a pair of mountain pants but I'm not sure how they compare to attacks for warmth and I don't think I love the zippered pockets...

Who runs baselayer bottoms and what Weight do you recommend?

wnelson14

WKR
OP
E
Do you guys find that lighter baselayer bottoms like the 97 move moisture without feeling clingy or wet?

I'm moving away from heavy merino for my baselayers and wanting something that crosses over for deer and waterfowl as well. Would you chose the 97 for a do it all?

Do you guys find that lighter baselayer bottoms like the 97 move moisture without feeling clingy or wet?

Yes. Actually, when I wash them, I'm always amazed how dry they are when I pull them out of the washing machine.

Just a quick warning on something you mentioned earlier and I missed.. The fit of them feels slightly "off" a tiny bit when you first put them on because of the zipper, but I never noticed the zipper or the fit at all after a minute or two.

I'm moving away from heavy merino for my baselayers and wanting something that crosses over for deer and waterfowl as well. Would you chose the 97 for a do it all?

I wore merino base layers for a long time, but find myself wearing more and more synthetic when its chilly, and especially for whitetail and hunting around home where I don't have to worry about stinking it up from wearing it for several days in a row.