Pants - the ultimate pain point (and 5.11 trail pant personal review)

MatukaJoe

FNG
Pants. Pants, pants, pants! I hate the cost of high-end hunting pants that often IMO don't live up to the hype nor cost. And no I haven't tried KUIU (yet) as I hear people say all pants are measured to them. I feel like I have a pretty dialed kit but I am always playing with pants.

If you don't want details scroll to the last paragraph!

For quite a while I've been running around in 5.11 tactical pants. For the price and comfort, these have been my go-to, far and above the rest. I'll be honest as well and say I have the legs of a stork with a 32" waist and 34-36" inseam. You may also call them chicken legs. Go ahead it won't hurt my feelings I've come to terms with it. ;)

I just picked up the new 5.11 Trail Pant after more than a couple of years of running around in the Ridge, Icon, Stryk, Apex, and even more (all recommended by me btw). Certainly, I am a fan of the pants for EDC, Geshido, Rucking, and more. The biggest challenge has been that many or most either get wet easily or hold moisture around the leg cuff. Yes, I do wear gaiters plenty of the time, but not always, and sometimes the grass is still taller. I live in the PNW by the way which one may term a moist environment.

Just some initial thoughts for those thinking about them.
They are lightweight. These are easily the most lightweight pant I own including all 5.11, Prana, and FL.
They fit great and I am a fan of the pocket design and location and zips. I greatly dislike pants with cargo pockets on the front of the leg. The pocket design may take some getting used to for some as the back of the cargo pocket floats free for space and for venting. They are a slim cuff at the leg. I prefer this (again see chicken legs) as it fits me better and fits under gaiters more readily without any foldover material. They are super stretchy and again lightweight.
I'll definitely run them for rucking and hiking. They would be ideal for a spring bear hunt or early fall hunt in Aug/Sept. In fact I'd opin if you're looking for some early-season lightweight pants, you may want to check these out.
Where I am concerned is say that October deer hunt or November elk hunt. They seem like they would be a cold wear for frosty mornings. That would be fine if the day jumps up to 50 and you're moving a lot but as a 40 to 45-degree sit and glass for hours? Hmmm my initial thought is not warm enough.
I can't speak to durability yet since I just got them in the mail today but I will say All my 5.11 pants have been the most durable pants I own and I do tend to be hard on pants.

To recap... 5.11 trail pant
Very lightweight - if you like Prana Zion you should check these pants out. I think they are as light or lighter, better fit, and have a better pocket design.
No cotton blend - polyester and elastane
Probably not for colder weather but a great active pant or early-season hunt pant or warmer climate too. I'll definitely keep them for rucks, hikes, and anytime the daytime highs will be 45 plus and/or sunny.
Super stretchy material - but cannot speak to durability as they are new / that said all my other 5.11 are darned tough
Slimmer fit so if you're a powerlifter or like a wide cuff on the leg probably not for you.

Maybe this helps someone / maybe not.
Cheers.

Seeknelk

WKR
Sounds like they'd be a great pant if they fit a guy. Not me, I'm opposite build of you🤣. Cold mornings simply slip into the warm cocoon that is your handy dandy kuiu peleton 97 zip off long johns , then rip em off like a stripper(this is mandatory) later when it heats up.

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Sounds like they'd be a great pant if they fit a guy. Not me, I'm opposite build of you🤣. Cold mornings simply slip into the warm cocoon that is your handy dandy kuiu peleton 97 zip off long johns , then rip em off like a stripper(this is mandatory) later when it heats up.
So far I am a fan. Wore them on my ruck last night. But yeah I am surprised they don't make slim and regular cut both for those with certain pref or needs.

good to know, i've saw plenty of ads for these but never bit the bullet & gave them a try. I'm a big prana fan and last fall i tried a pair of these pnuma and they have easily became my favorite outside of the price point. They do have a slimmer fit like you like so if your every looking to try somthing different i'd give these a try.

I've been searching for an equal or better replacement to my OG Prana Zions. I wear those things all the time and apparently they changed the design and materials on the new version. Everyone seemed to love the OG Zions so I'm not sure why they decided to mess with them. Anywho I'll check out the 5.11s

Looks like they forgot to make them in adult lengths. Hard to believe there’s more trail hikers out there needing a tapered leg 40x30 than a 33x36 but apparently 5.11 knows something I don’t.