Advice Needed for a Cold Weather Sitka System

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just flat land Texas guy who has done some early September Colorado hunts the last few years that is starting to think about some late October to mid November Colorado or Idaho hunts in the coming years. In doing so I'm trying to get an idea of a good clothing system for those cold weather hunts. Below is a list of pieces I already have:

Core Lightweight Hoody
Heavyweight Hoody
Mountain Vest
Kelvin Lite Hoody

My initial thoughts in my head look something like the list below (of which I currently only own the Heavyweight Hoody) (and also in the order that they would be layered) so please hammer me and educate me. The goal would be to purchase the rest over time.

Core Midwieght Zip-T or a Merino top (weight????)
Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Lite Down Jacket
Jetstream Jacket
My rain gear on top of that

I have no real concept of about how low a temperature that would take me down to with being reasonably comfortable.

When it comes to bottoms I've just always had a lightweight merino base layer with Prana Zion pants. Any suggestions here too would be appreciated. I realize the Timberline pants would be preferred that time of year and I assume most just pair them with a heavyweight merino base layer.
I would also plan on picking up Sitka's Kelvin Lite Down 3/4 Pant as well.

Like I said just really looking for an education and suggestions. Much obliged.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
My clothing has been kind of a mash up of dif companies, with that being said I've found the timberline pants to not be any warmer than kuiu attack pants. I wore them with a heavy waffle fleece underwear and I was pretty cold glassing.
I'm keeping my eye out for a good fleece lined option for late season. As much as I don't like supporting FL their corrugate foundry I believe looks like a solid late season lined full zip option for ventilating etc.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
My expensive experience has been that spendy clothes like Sitka don't keep you any warmer than cheap stuff. Hindsight....nothing wrong with buying high end stuff, just isn't required.
I hear you on that. Being newer to the game I started out with less stuff. I'm not against other brands or cheaper stuff but talking about it in terms of Sitka I think gives everyone a control point and if I get some advice I can then substitute a different brand or equivalent piece on my own.

I really like the timberline pants and the kelvin lite hoody. I wouldn't pay full price for either though (shop sales and/or used). I also like the EB fleece pants, but if hiking they can get warm. I have the Jetstream but have a hard time recommending. It's expensive and not very warm. I like the pit zips, but other than that it's an expensive windbreaker.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I just did a hunt this last weekend with temps down to 15° F and highs in the low 30s. I was very comfortable with this setup.

Black Ovis merino long sleeve base layer
Sitka midweight mock tee long sleeve
Sitka Kelvin Aerolite vest
Sitka Traverse jacket
Kuiu Guide pants
Kuiu merino zip-offs

A couple days I wore the entire system all day. The two other days, I removed the zip-offs and mock long sleeve during the warmest hours of the day. For the pack out, which was well into the night, I removed the zip-offs, mock long sleeve, and the vest.

I also ran a Sitka Kelvin Lite puffy over top while sitting for long periods to glass.

I have the Jetsream, and it's usually my #1 for below freezing weather, but I find the Traverse jacket & Kelvin vest combo to be more comfortable for dry conditions.

I have never needed puffy pants, and I have hunted in as low as single digits. The only use I can see for them is if you're sitting a stand all day.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I just did a hunt this last weekend with temps down to 15° F and highs in the low 30s. I was very comfortable with this setup.

Black Ovis merino long sleeve base layer
Sitka midweight mock tee long sleeve
Sitka Kelvin Aerolite vest
Sitka Traverse jacket
Kuiu Guide pants
Kuiu merino zip-offs

A couple days I wore the entire system all day. The two other days, I removed the zip-offs and mock long sleeve during the warmest hours of the day. For the pack out, which was well into the night, I removed the zip-offs, mock long sleeve, and the vest.

I also ran a Sitka Kelvin Lite puffy over top while sitting for long periods to glass.

I have the Jetsream, and it's usually my #1 for below freezing weather, but I find the Traverse jacket & Kelvin vest combo to be more comfortable for dry conditions.

I have never needed puffy pants, and I have hunted in as low as single digits. The only use I can see for them is if you're sitting a stand all day.
Appreciate you taking the time to share all that.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
The Jetstream Jacket seems to get mixed reviews. Folks either love it or hate it. Or maybe not hate but even if they have it they seem to utilize it very little.

I sweat A LOT. Moisture management for me is always a major deal. Sweat my rear end off in a Core Lightweight Hoody climbing and then start freezing as the wind hits as we crest and I'm going to throw on my Mountain Vest and Kelvin Lite Hoody.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I just hunted 2nd season colorado (end of October) when we hammered with about 2 feet of snow up at 11,500ft elevation up in the flattop wilderness, with temps ranging from 40 down to zero. Most days we’re around high of 25 or so and low was in the teens. My set up personally, in order, was:

Bottom-
Blackovis medium weight merino base layer
Sitka Timberline pants (kuiu attacks are nice, guides are just a touch warmer with the fleece lining)
Sitka puffy pants (hardly wore, do not recommend. Check stone glacier or Kifaru if you’re interested in puffy pants)

Top-
Sitka Heavyweight hoody
Sitka ambient jacket (my all time favorite jacket…10x warmer than the famed jet stream)
Sitka jet stream
Kifaru lostpark puffy when it got way cold

I wouldn’t waste your time in lightweight top base layers, if you’re hunting elevation at all, you will almost never be too warm for just a heavyweight base layer. Unless you’re talking bottom base layers, I get really warm legs so I hardly ever go more than medium weight. If you could have one set up that will take you most places, I would go, black ovis bottom base layers, sitka timberlines or kuiu guide pants, sitka 330 core hoody, ambient jacket (a must IMO), kuiu guide jacket, and Kifaru puffy. Personally I think that will cover lots of hunting needs comfortably, and just change base layers as hunting conditions change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I just hunted 2nd season colorado (end of October) when we hammered with about 2 feet of snow up at 11,500ft elevation up in the flattop wilderness, with temps ranging from 40 down to zero. Most days we’re around high of 25 or so and low was in the teens. My set up personally, in order, was:

Bottom-
Blackovis medium weight merino base layer
Sitka Timberline pants (kuiu attacks are nice, guides are just a touch warmer with the fleece lining)
Sitka puffy pants (hardly wore, do not recommend. Check stone glacier or Kifaru if you’re interested in puffy pants)

Top-
Sitka Heavyweight hoody
Sitka ambient jacket (my all time favorite jacket…10x warmer than the famed jet stream)
Sitka jet stream
Kifaru lostpark puffy when it got way cold

I wouldn’t waste your time in lightweight top base layers, if you’re hunting elevation at all, you will almost never be too warm for just a heavyweight base layer. Unless you’re talking bottom base layers, I get really warm legs so I hardly ever go more than medium weight. If you could have one set up that will take you most places, I would go, black ovis bottom base layers, sitka timberlines or kuiu guide pants, sitka 330 core hoody, ambient jacket (a must IMO), kuiu guide jacket, and Kifaru puffy. Personally I think that will cover lots of hunting needs comfortably, and just change base layers as hunting conditions change.

So you have an ambient and a jetstream and not just prefer the ambient but think it is warmer?

I'm assuming if the wind is whipping you would prefer the jetstream then?

Vr1p

FNG
120 long sleeve
330 hoody
Ambient vest
Fanatic jacket

Bottom
220 bottoms
Equinox midi pants
Incinerator bibs

Had me nice and toasty for all day sits in up state Wisconsin low teens/single digits. Don’t forget about some insulated boots as well!

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
120 long sleeve
330 hoody
Ambient vest
Fanatic jacket

Bottom
220 bottoms
Equinox midi pants
Incinerator bibs

Had me nice and toasty for all day sits in up state Wisconsin low teens/single digits. Don’t forget about some insulated boots as well!
Much obliged.

fatlander

WKR
I think you can probably forgo a soft shell jacket. On an active hunt, they’re just not worth the weight. You’ll be taking it on and off so much it’s not worth toting it around. Carry a beefier puffy and put your rain jacket over top of when the conditions call for it.

Whitetail hunting in extreme cold is a completely different animal. You’ll need something in the fanatic, incinerator category.