The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

I was not suggesting anyone day trade with their 401K as a whole. The title of this thread is “A DIP IN THE MARKET, WHAT ARE YOU GUYS BUYING”. I thought we were all responsible adults here and accountable for our own actions and the risks that may or may not go along with those actions. I am not day trading my 401K. This is a unique time in the market and there is a substantial amount of money to be made if you want to put forth the effort. I’m day trading with about $10K of spare cash. Mainly sticking to energy stocks since that’s what I know. Overall I’m up about 22% per day. We will see how today shakes out, but so far it’s looking good.

So what are you buying today? Out of all of these 22 pages of posts, only about 3 people including myself have actually said what we bought on that day. The rest of the replies are folks doing drive by's with their 2 cents on why my choice wasn't a good one (lol) or some other similar opinion from the cheap seats.......

Got alot of folks on here who want to make their superiority known, but not many who can just answer the fn question.

I am not attacking you in the above.....I am genuinely curious what you will buy today.

So what are you buying today? Out of all of these 22 pages of posts, only about 3 people including myself have actually said what we bought on that day. The rest of the replies are folks doing drive by's with their 2 cents on why my choice wasn't a good one (lol) or some other similar opinion from the cheap seats.......

Got alot of folks on here who want to make their superiority known, but not many who can just answer the fn question.

I am not attacking you in the above.....I am genuinely curious what you will buy today.

A large portion of my buying/selling the last 3 days (including today) has been in VLO.

NDGuy

WKR
I am holding out tomorrow, I would be shocked if there wasn't a selloff tomorrow.

EastMT

WKR
A large portion of my buying/selling the last 3 days (including today) has been in VLO.

Same here, I bought some GT at $4.50, with the thought that it could drop to 3-3.50, if it does I will double down. Up about 20% so far, but I’m holding long term not day trading this one

bozeman

WKR
I was not suggesting anyone day trade with their 401K as a whole. The title of this thread is “A DIP IN THE MARKET, WHAT ARE YOU GUYS BUYING”. I thought we were all responsible adults here and accountable for our own actions and the risks that may or may not go along with those actions. I am not day trading my 401K. This is a unique time in the market and there is a substantial amount of money to be made if you want to put forth the effort. I’m day trading with about $10K of spare cash. Mainly sticking to energy stocks since that’s what I know. Overall I’m up about 22% per day. We will see how today shakes out, but so far it’s looking good.

I'll PM you my cell, send me your 'trades'......I'll take 22% return daily. :)

I had vix call options starting in Feb made a killing...gave up a large chunk as I was using options to make some short term trades and the sky high premiums collapsed and they started behaving the opposite of what they should. Did a few futures scalp trades for an overall small profit. Kicking myself for missing the VIX puts when it was at 80. Sidelined right now waiting for the next market drop and VIX pop to buy those puts.

Everyone talks about their wins, few talk about their losses.

Last edited:
I listened to a podcast today, I feel a bit optimistic. I feel like I might flop my 401k back in at some point soon
I am holding out tomorrow, I would be shocked if there wasn't a selloff tomorrow.

I agree, everything I am reading is a profit taking is anticipated tomorrow. I put some of my IRA into JPM, CVX, HD, and JNJ first thing this morning, but keeping my cash handy for buying another dip in my trading account.

OXY has been paying off pretty well today as another oil stock.

EastMT

WKR
I had vix call options starting in Feb made a killing...gave up a large chunk as the option premiums sky rocketed as I used them to make some short term trades as the premium collapsed and they started behaving the opposite of what they should. Did a few futures scalp trades for an overall small profit. Kicking myself for missing the VIX puts when it was at 80. Sidelined right now waiting for the next market drop and VIX pop to buy those puts.

Everyone talks about their wins, few talk about their losses.

I haven’t bought much lately, work is crazy and in these markets you need to be on top of it all day.

I used to be heavily in the tire/ag industry so I’m most familiar with those, so I watch those closely.

Bought some TWI awhile back at $1.66, lost quite a bit, like 17% but held through. Today it’s at up 13% total since purchase. If you don’t have time to study all kinds of companies, just have to focus on the ones you are familiar with.

Broomd

WKR
Thanks for the tip, MRO hadn’t even hit my radar yet. Looks interesting with a ton of upside and not a lot of risk at that price
MRO up 12% earlier today. OXY was up 22% in early trading. As I learn this stuff, I'm starting to see trends, profit taking etc. A guy has to be ready to sell when things change.

Last edited:

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've got nothing right now (except long term funds). Yesterday before the close I bought SPXU for a overnight play, had a sell order in pre-market (was up nicely), didn't go through, so sold for small gain at 930. Also had TPTW (penny stock) overnight. Sold at open for minor loss (basically even) as I didn't see what I liked. (Glad I did). Ive been too busy today to pay attention to the market.

If you've got the time, dedication, and willingness to learn, you can most definitely do better than your average returns in set it and forget it funds. For the time being, I'll continue to manage my own money.

Retesting 22,000 a few times, those descending triangles USUALLY mean there will be a break through. But not always. May make a play on this but have a conference call where I'd have to stay away...well see.

Retesting 22,000 a few times, those descending triangles USUALLY mean there will be a break through. But not always. May make a play on this but have a conference call where I'd have to stay away...well see.

And nope, broke up again before finishing out the triangle.

My answer to the original post is 'nothing other than my normal mutual fund purchases through my IRA at work.' I'm 20 years away from retiring so have plenty of time to recover and am contributing monthly so I have some dollar cost averaging in play. I don't play with individual stocks at this point in my life.

Here's a question though:

At the end of last year and in January I was looking into switching from a managed fund portfolio that our advisor put us in and switching to a lower fee 3 or 4 fund portfolio as recommended by the Bogleheads (followers of Jack Bogle). I have all the information from Vanguard to do this.

Is it a bad idea to switch investments from one group of managed funds into a group of index funds during a downturn?

Is it better to wait for the market to recover?

My thought is that what I own now is cheap and what I want to buy is cheap, so if it was a good idea then it's a good idea now. Anything wrong with that thinking?

My answer to the original post is 'nothing other than my normal mutual fund purchases through my IRA at work.' I'm 20 years away from retiring so have plenty of time to recover and am contributing monthly so I have some dollar cost averaging in play. I don't play with individual stocks at this point in my life.

Here's a question though:

At the end of last year and in January I was looking into switching from a managed fund portfolio that our advisor put us in and switching to a lower fee 3 or 4 fund portfolio as recommended by the Bogleheads (followers of Jack Bogle). I have all the information from Vanguard to do this.

Is it a bad idea to switch investments from one group of managed funds into a group of index funds during a downturn?

Is it better to wait for the market to recover?

My thought is that what I own now is cheap and what I want to buy is cheap, so if it was a good idea then it's a good idea now. Anything wrong with that thinking?

I'd wait, as a long term investor you dont know the rebound that may occur with your money sidelined for a few days. Also may take longer because of all the requests the financial firms are getting.

Broomd

WKR
So what about tomorrow, anybody seeing anything especially interesting?

I'm eyeballing MIK (Michaels Crafts)
With most of America home, I can see this stock rocketing as long as UPS and USPS can deliver goods. Missed the low at $1, but there may be room for short term profit...

So what about tomorrow, anybody seeing anything especially interesting?

I'm eyeballing MIK (Michaels Crafts)
With most of America home, I can see this stock rocketing as long as UPS and USPS can deliver goods. Missed the low at $1, but there may be room for short term profit...

I dont think it really matters what you are in, most of the market is moving in unison....hell I was trading apple options to play overall market moves because they had a tighter spread than the ones for the markets.