The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

wayoh22

WKR
Still holding PFE 1/15 $40c. Might look for an exit tomorrow. Just pending approval from the FDA of a vaccine. Can happen any minute now

Still holding PFE 1/15 $40c. Might look for an exit tomorrow. Just pending approval from the FDA of a vaccine. Can happen any minute now

86b588a266d7f87c202e266fd51e8895.jpg

Looks like our calls should be in good shape tomorrow with the vaccine approval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no tax expert, but why would you ever sell at a loss to offset taxes? I think of it as giving someone $1,000 to get $500 back... Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it in a way that makes sense, but I've never understood why anybody would think that was advantageous.

Yeah I would have money set aside for taxes but I don’t sell something to offset gains if I think I can profit more. They way I look at it is if I have to pay taxes that’s a good thing, in the sense that I made money.
If I made 100k and had to pay 15-40% it’s still bank in my pocket.
Paying taxes sucks but it means you did well. I wish I made 1m and had to pay 400k and kept 600k. A good problem to have!
*I’m not a CPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
I'm no tax expert, but why would you ever sell at a loss to offset taxes? I think of it as giving someone $1,000 to get $500 back... Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it in a way that makes sense, but I've never understood why anybody would think that was advantageous.

Ok here goes, I’m gonna try to make it as simple as possible with a made up example. This is basically the goal in selling for losses. It’s easier with mutual funds but can work with individual stocks also

You have two stocks. Let’s call them A and B

A goes up 50%
B goes down 50%

You sell both, therefore the losses of one offsets the gains of the other. No taxes are due right?

Well, you take the lost money on B and rebuy it back before it climbs. That way the loss only appears to be a loss on paper. You can’t buy the SAME STOCK for 30days though for this to work.

But if there’s another stock you expect to climb 50% YOU CAN but it immediately and hope for it to climb and gain the “paper” loss back.

In mutual funds the idea is to have two that track almost the same. Say S&P 500 index and total market one. If you have 100k in one and it drops to 50k. You sell it and buy total market, as it should be very close to the same loss at the same time.

You can then claim 3k tax deduction every year until that 50k is used up. All the whole your money went right back into the “similar fund” which should climb right back up. The same as if you never sold to begin with, except now you get a write off.

I hope that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what’s everyone’s thoughts on tomorrow with Phizer officially getting the go ahead and shipping out nationwide? Should be an interesting day to say the least. Hope it plays in everyone’s favor.

Broomd

WKR
what’s everyone’s thoughts on tomorrow with Phizer officially getting the go ahead and shipping out nationwide? Should be an interesting day to say the least. Hope it plays in everyone’s favor.
Would think it's going to be a good day, alas this market can be so unpredictable with things getting baked in.
Natural gas is at a four year high right now, and oil--WTI/Brent--is flying lately, energy should continue its rise.
I missed my buy in with BORR by a half cent last Monday; still kicking myself over that.

Watching TRCH merger--sizzle or steak?,...and ITRM nda news....

Would think it's going to be a good day, alas this market can be so unpredictable with things getting baked in.
Natural gas is at a four year high right now, and oil--WTI/Brent--is flying lately, energy should continue its rise.
I missed my buy in with BORR by a half cent last Monday; still kicking myself over that.

Watching TRCH merger--sizzle or steak?,...and ITRM nda news....
I feel you on missing a buy and it flying. I had a buy order for CDEV back in October when it dipped into the low .50’s. Was ready to essentially double my position but wasn’t willing to budge..... boy do I regret that decision. But then I look at my current gains and it doesn’t hurt as much. Haha

I’m always a fan of Walmart. Headquarters used to be in my “backyard” and went to the Sam Walton college of business.

Attachments

• 54DB2CF8-4FBE-44C1-BEAA-BF68D064AF3A.png
    54DB2CF8-4FBE-44C1-BEAA-BF68D064AF3A.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 0849DD39-8299-464E-A0F1-C4D2F2FCFFF8.jpeg
    0849DD39-8299-464E-A0F1-C4D2F2FCFFF8.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 48

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering who's taking advantage of this little dip in the market to buy some stocks on sale?

I like cruise lines. Carnivals always a good company and the Oil companies are getting hit.
I think buying some of the harder hit oil companies will pay off in the future. Not a quick hit but a hit in my opinion.

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering who's taking advantage of this little dip in the market to buy some stocks on sale?

I like cruise lines. Carnivals always a good company and the Oil companies are getting hit.
Everyone seems to forget what got them to this point in life. Take a profit when you can and on to the next. Wash, rinse, repeat. Sitting and waiting is costing you money.