The resident short game. Long term consequences?

There has been a ton of changes in the western hunting game the last few years. And it is still changing daily/weekly/monthly. One of the biggest and hotly debated topics is license/tag allocation. Res vs non res.

Anyone that is on SM has seen topics from it. The interesting thing to me is I honestly think residents are shooting themselves in the foot. Sure it will be better short term getting more of the licenses. But what about long term? Or do they even care as long as they get their second moose tag?

I used to (emphasis on used to) donate a lot of money to RMEF, WSF, and MDF. I was a member and would spend $500+ at each of the banquets. I would spend money on the different raffles throughout the year. I haven’t went to one of their banquets this year. I haven’t renewed my memberships this year. The states residents that benefit the most from those donations I used to make, are doing their best to give myself and other non res a smaller and smaller percentage every year. I wonder how many other non res are realizing the same? I know 100% it’s not just me.

That money can be used for guide fees, private land access, copter ride into land locked public, a beach vacation, etc.

Look at all the help wanted posted on this forum when it comes to hunting/wildlife issues. One of the most recent was the area 23/26 caribou closure in Alaska. Please send emails, etc. I wonder how many more people would of sent emails if Alaska didn’t have their guide rule for sheep, goat, and grizzlies? Maybe if they would have gotten 1000+ more emails against the closure the decision would have been different? (I’ll come back to the closure in a few) Residents are always wanting non res help when it comes to wildlife issues. I expect that help to dwindle more and more every year.

One of the dumbest things I see residents post is “These are Our animals. You have zero say in how we manage Our wildlife. If you don’t like it Move here.”

To add to that, the harder you make it for a non res and turn it into a res paradise the more and more non res that will move there. Where are they going to move to? Up in the mountains in the summer range or down on the winter range? Of course the winter range. Less and less habitat. More and more people loving the outdoors to death. (Look at SW Colorado for an example)

Then there will be bitching like there already is because guess what? Residents of most of these states can’t afford what the non res can. So it prices the res and their family out. (Recently read a post from Idaho residents bitching about not being able to afford property taxes) How does that look? Do you want your kids to move away after they grow up because they can’t afford to live on their own there? I mean isn’t that why we changed allocations in the first place? So little Johnny can draw a sheep tag in his lifetime? Too bad he won’t be able to afford to live there.

Which leads me to this part. If it was about little Johnny why are the residents that have already gotten the opportunity to hunt what should be an oil species, still applying and trying to draw? Greed. Nothing else. Most hunters will never get to hunt an oil species. Yet there are a few that have already and are still trying to take that opportunity away from someone that hasn’t.

Next thing you know it won’t be non res vs res allocation. It will be res vs res. The closure for caribou in 23/26 wasn’t just for non res of AK. It was for people that don’t live in that area. Huge amounts of federal land closed to some of AK’s residents for caribou hunting.

What about opening up the late season mule deer hunts to wipe out CWD in Wyoming. I wonder if 100 emails from non res for it, will show that there is public support? If they do add the hunts it benefits non res even if they don’t apply there.

Public land. Most hunters don’t care about public they can’t hunt. It would be nothing to sell off some of the more useless land. Keep the mineral rights of course. Or people could make a push to graze more livestock. That actually helps pay for the land. The state running their wildlife on federal land is welfare. So if there were more cows/sheep out there that will help offset the cost.

Corner crossing. Donate donate donate! Make sure you donate to open up more land for the hunter! “We are all in this together!” While at the same time the residents are doing their best to make the non res pie smaller and smaller.

The short game is to get all these adult residents more tags.

What does the long game look like? Less habitat. More non res moving to your state for hunting reasons vying for the same tags you are. Less donations. Less support for wildlife issues. Less support for public land. Not being able to afford to live where you grew up.

I guarantee I’ll get some haha’s. I know most is true though. Look at Idaho, Montana, (just saw a news clip about another hundred acres getting developed by Bozeman today) Colorado, even Wyoming. Wyoming has the least amount of people. But prices there are shooting up on real estate. It’ll be easy for your kids to afford to live there I’m sure.

If you are a non res to the western states I would try to get what you can as soon as possible or move. The future isn’t looking bright for non res hunting. If you are a resident of a western state I hope you like company, higher cost of living, and loss of habitat. Because you are bringing it upon yourselves.

You guys are lucky I only had my phone 😉

Super tag

WKR
There are different on opinions on these topics, but one thing is evident, sadly, the ship has sailed for hunting big game the way it used to be. Get used to it because even more change and resistance to non res hunting is coming.

I for one am really happy the non resident hunting regulations changed in Idaho. The same number of opportunities still exist, but now all of the pressure can’t be concentrated in just a few areas. I noticed a DRAMATIC impact last season, finally!!! We didn’t see 30 non resident outfits in every trail head, maybe a bit of exaggeration but just a bit.

I am an Idaho resident, basically retired, and have NEVER drawn a lmited entry deer or elk tag, I’ve been putting in my whole life to have an opportunity. I really don’t care to see any of our limited opportunities go to non residents. I would like to have that chance at least once In my life. i would also like to see my family have the opportunity, I’ve paid my taxes and supported our wildlife and habitat for many, many years, I don’t owe any non residents anything. This is where we live, our home, this IS “our game” it certainly doesn’t equally belong to a non resident, is that what your saying? If it is, then that’s a really dumb statement.

I have seen our hunting areas drastically affected by non resident hunting over the past decade, to the degree that my family as residents have had to completely change our game. Poor predator management, a few bad winters, drought, and the excessive amount of non resident hunters over the past six or seven years, our deer and elk herds are severely depleted, now we have to deal with the population growith and shift as well.

i don’t have any sympathy for the non resident hunters, it is what it is, stay home and focus on the hunting opportunities where you live. Don’t move here, it’s too late for that too.

The short game is to get residents more tags, totally agree, it’s about time. Maybe a rough attitude, but that’s where it is now. Reality.

Rich M

WKR
If you are a non res to the western states I would try to get what you can as soon as possible or move. The future isn’t looking bright for non res hunting.

Boiled down your post.

The truth of it all is that things are changing and if you want to hunt out west - OIL or otherwise, get hopping cause it will just be more difficult to get a tag in 5-10-15 years.

I also agree that those fund raising organizations are an absolute waste of your money. What have they done for the NR hunter? Did they release a statement against 90/10 in WY or the changes in other states? I doubt it.

So, what does a guy do? First is accept that changes are inevitable and NR will get less and less.

Figure out how and if you want to play the game - apply in all the states and go when you can? Stop applying at all? Drop the $ and do a guided hunt? Take up golf? Ping-pong?

There are different on opinions on these topics, but one thing is evident, sadly, the ship has sailed for hunting big game the way it used to be. Get used to it because even more change and resistance to non res hunting is coming.

I for one am really happy the non resident hunting regulations changed in Idaho.

I have seen our hunting areas drastically affected by non resident hunting over the past decade, .... the excessive amount of non resident hunters over the past six or seven years, our deer and elk herds are severely depleted, now we have to deal with the population growth and shift as well.

i don’t have any sympathy for the non resident hunters, it is what it is, stay home and focus on the hunting opportunities where you live. Don’t move here, it’s too late for that too.

The short game is to get residents more tags, totally agree, it’s about time. Maybe a rough attitude, but that’s where it is now. Reality.

No-one owes us anything. And they will continually remind us of that. The post above is a perfect example. The NR ruin everything.

Last edited:
OP
dirtytough

Take note non res. A perfect example. Exactly why in my last part I said to get what you can asap.

Sorry Super tag, it’s not too late to move there. Idaho is one of the states that has way better res benefits than non res. It’s definitely a state people from the west coast look to move to.

Fitzwho

WKR
I think the first point is that it’s shitty to ask non-residents for help on access and other issues on one hand and with the other be writing up ways to cut opportunities for those same non-residents. Unlimited OTC isn’t good for anybody, I understand that.

Agree nothing is owed to us, but I can’t wait for the first state to cut all non-resident tag allotments and watch the residents start a riot when the state game agency doubles or triples (or more) resident tag prices to make up the funding difference. You can’t go from selling 12,000 NR tags at $600-1000 and make up for it by giving those same tags away to residents for $30-$50 each.

It sounds good and all to say focus more on your own states' opportunities, but a lot of residents become non residents to other states because they can't hunt their own state, so they look elsewhere hoping it isn't already overran by other nonresidents.

The only people that move to another western state for hunting opportunity are either retired, or, can work from anywhere. The last two years have demonstrated that a lot.

The real question is, what is it going to look like when the "Boomer" generation is finally out of the picture?

My guess, relative to hunting, is that the boomer generation is nearly equal to the sum of Gen x, Gen y, and now Gen z combined. It's also no secret that the younger generations will not have the retirement resources the Boomer generation has and will have. In short, the upcoming generations will either have less to spend in retirement or will have to work longer, limiting unlimited time for hunting causing a decreased interest (because everyday is Saturday in retirement) .

The less opportunity there is all around, the less interest remains. That's why a certain amount of non resident hunting is done by youth hunters while still living at home, to keep that interest alive. People whining about special youth opportunity is another discussion for another day...

I have to admit, I have wondered what these western states that own the animals do in 30 years when NF and BLM get lumped in with National Parks and is closed to all hunting.

That might not be how it happens, but it won't surprise me if in the next 20-40 years there's a real push to close hunting on public lands.

Rich M

WKR
People whining about special youth opportunity is another discussion for another day...
I started hunting before all these youth laws came into play, had a license at 8 yrs old.

There was no special this or that. My dad just took me with him every time.

What we have is a bunch of jokers who wont take their kids hunting unless it is a special day. Its bullshit.

Take your kid or dont but needing special days is absurd. Its a copout for folks to wait for youth day to take their kids hunting.

Thats why im against it. Would rather see an extra day added to the season. But no we need special feel good crap for kids and vets in my state. Why cant they just go hunt?

OMB

WKR
It sounds good and all to say focus more on your own states' opportunities, but a lot of residents become non residents to other states because they can't hunt their own state, so they look elsewhere hoping it isn't already overran by other nonresidents.

The only people that move to another western state for hunting opportunity are either retired, or, can work from anywhere. The last two years have demonstrated that a lot.

The real question is, what is it going to look like when the "Boomer" generation is finally out of the picture?

My guess, relative to hunting, is that the boomer generation is nearly equal to the sum of Gen x, Gen y, and now Gen z combined. It's also no secret that the younger generations will not have the retirement resources the Boomer generation has and will have. In short, the upcoming generations will either have less to spend in retirement or will have to work longer, limiting unlimited time for hunting causing a decreased interest (because everyday is Saturday in retirement) .

The less opportunity there is all around, the less interest remains. That's why a certain amount of non resident hunting is done by youth hunters while still living at home, to keep that interest alive. People whining about special youth opportunity is another discussion for another day...

The Boomer thing tends to get overlooked a lot in these arguments. We're literally smack dab in the middle of the largest cohort of hunters *by far* hitting retirement age with a ton of cash and time (and some with a ton of points) and it's probably the #1 reason the cost of hunts has gone up and opportunity has gone down in a lot of cases.

People rag on Millennials for being self absorbed, but let's not forget we were raised by the biggest Me First generation in human history. It's not lost on me that almost every single person actively trying to limit opportunity in the West is over 50, while having more opportunity over their lifetime than anyone since the Lewis and Clark expedition. It's also not lost on me that some of the loudest voices in multiple states on this topic don't even have kids.

It's not about the next generation, or saving hunting, it's about pulling the ladder up behind them and getting their second OIL tag odds from .05% to .5% for a lot of these people.

OMB

WKR
I started hunting before all these youth laws came into play, had a license at 8 yrs old.

There was no special this or that. My dad just took me with him every time.

What we have is a bunch of jokers who wont take their kids hunting unless it is a special day. Its bullshit.

Take your kid or dont but needing special days is absurd. Its a copout for folks to wait for youth day to take their kids hunting.

Thats why im against it. Would rather see an extra day added to the season. But no we need special feel good crap for kids and vets in my state. Why cant they just go hunt?
I've long argued in Iowa that the early youth muzzleloader season exists solely so dad can brag to his buddies. There's 4 and 5 year olds that can't spell their own name shooting net Booner whitetails off a tripod with dad doing everything but pulling the trigger (and maybe doing that too.) Reading some of the stories in Epic or HF, seems like that's not an exclusive thing to Iowa.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah its soon going to be like the midwest. Everyone is going to race and buy a chunk of land to get their "resident tag" and then you will only be able to hunt that little parcel so put out a food plot and a tree stand in the corner of the plot and hope you have elk come by.

mlgc20

WKR
I bet there will some posters from Wyoming that will get their post count up on this thread.
I got this for em...
  • The state owns the wildlife for the residents of that state.
  • We don't owe NRs anything.
  • If you want to hunt Wyoming you should move to Wyoming.
  • But, definitely please don't ever move to Wyoming.
  • We can make up the funding by adding 12 cents to our fishing license cost.
  • I see 127 NR trucks at every trailhead.
  • NRs encouraged Putin to invade Ukraine.
  • I would gladly pay an extra $6 if we could get rid of all NRs.
  • NRs slapped Chris Rock
I think that covers the general talking points. :)

I got this for em...
  • The state owns the wildlife for the residents of that state.
  • We don't owe NRs anything.
  • If you want to hunt Wyoming you should move to Wyoming.
  • But, definitely please don't ever move to Wyoming.
  • We can make up the funding by adding 12 cents to our fishing license cost.
  • I see 127 NR trucks at every trailhead.
  • NRs encouraged Putin to invade Ukraine.
  • I would gladly pay an extra $6 if we could get rid of all NRs.
  • NRs slapped Chris Rock
I think that covers the general talking points. :)

It's not pertinent to RS til it's a NR stole my BOAL.

Btaylor

WKR
I think one of the biggest problems is that too many are focused on the tag and not the resource. Land use practices need to be addressed and more emphasis on habitat improvement and restoration. Land owner tags has room for improvement (no unit wide). Develop a uniform western states big game draw system that eliminates OTC, 80/20 R/NR per unit allocation, 1 random draw w/3 or 4 choices, all remaining tags go in a leftover pool at NR pricing. Or something along those lines. Create a structure that is equitable to R & NR and eliminate the points game that is and will preclude many from ever having an opportunity.

We need to figure out how to do a better job of creating better stewards of not only the critters we all love to chase but all of the places they live. If we dont, one day neither will exist.

Bighorse

WKR
Respect to the OP for taking the time to lay out some thoughts....
I was raised in WA state, gen X dude. I got educated, stayed focused, saved some money, and moved to AK 20 years ago.
I fear any move to the lower 48 because I know I'd forfeit access to healthy game populations and experience crowding and exploitation. On a basic level my primitive hindbrain respects food security in the form of shittin critters vs some god damn Govt card at the Thrifty food mart!
When I read your concerns about non res vs res I feel it not from a sporty level but on some level our native american brothers felt.....Stay off my land! Food security and having healthy herds is a bigger issue when you look at it from the perspective that bad times could have one roaming the hills lookin to feed a community. So while i respect modern conservation and your struggles related to game laws I filter game management back one more level towards the fundamentals......Food.
Best wishes to all the outdoorsmen struggling in the crowded areas of the lower 48. AK still has room for industrious talented folks to make something special and plenty of high quality public land for the same types.