The greatest threat to elk hunting is:

The arbitrary protection of predators by anti-hunters infiltrating Fish and Game commissions. Here's their agenda:

step 1 - get appointed to Fish and Game commission
step 2 - cancel bear, cougar, and (prevent or ban) wolf hunting
step 3 - when elk, deer, and moose populations plummet, cancel ungulate hunting
step 4 - cancel guns

Make your voice heard and sign this petition (and get involved in wildlife advocacy in your state). Make no mistake, the anti-hunting movement is gaining traction.

Sled

WKR
I feel for you. It's tough to be stuck in a far left state. It'll be a long battle.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I lean left, bear arms, hunt, husband shoots competitively. All it takes to avoid this is showing up at meetings and voicing. Fortunately our local commission is good - all ranchers or hunters; but the state is leaning toward banning various predator hunts, yet funding others. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason and decisions not based on wildlife science. Your local Fish and Game Depts are where your biologists and rangeland conservationists are housed - they’re the experts and typically advise the local boards and state commissions, but too often the science of game management for the good of all falls on deaf ears.

OP
H
So the elk are eating all the plants. Seems that would be called habitat loss.
In the Blues Mountain, the big problem isn’t elk eating all the plants, it’s cougars/bears/wolves eating all the elk. Your answer is a popular tack of the anti -hunters, and correct in the past, but not now in WA.

It’s an effective tack, because there is much truth in it. Habitat and forage loss is the greatest historical threat to elk populations.

However, in democratic WA state and the Blues Mountains in particular, overpredation is the primary current problem. Calf recruitment rates in the Blues are in the TEENS.

The last collared calf study in the Blues saw 77/125 calves eaten by lions and bears, in the first 150 days of life.

We need to band together. Habitat loss is still huge, but the rising imminent threat is the anti-hunting establishment and their pet carnivores.

Don’t think they can breach the politics in your state? I hope you’re right…

KurtR

WKR
In the Blues Mountain, the big problem isn’t elk eating all the plants, it’s cougars/bears/wolves eating all the elk. Your answer is a popular tack of the anti -hunters, and correct in the past, but not now in WA.

It’s an effective tack, because there is much truth in it. Habitat and forage loss is the greatest historical threat to elk populations.

However, in democratic WA state and the Blues Mountains in particular, overpredation is the primary current problem. Calf recruitment rates in the Blues are in the TEENS.

The last collared calf study in the Blues saw 77/125 calves eaten by lions and bears, in the first 150 days of life.

We need to band together. Habitat loss is still huge, but the rising imminent threat is the anti-hunting establishment and their pet carnivores.

Don’t think they can breach the politics in your state? I hope you’re right…
They better pack a lunch. Don’t know much about South Dakota I reckon . Most our politicians are out killing stuff most fall

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone should check out CWD in your state. I won’t eat anything with it and I don’t kill what I won’t eat.
Nobody is going to cancel my guns…

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
The arbitrary protection of predators by anti-hunters infiltrating Fish and Game commissions. Here's their agenda:

step 1 - get appointed to Fish and Game commission
step 2 - cancel bear, cougar, and (prevent or ban) wolf hunting
step 3 - when elk, deer, and moose populations plummet, cancel ungulate hunting
step 4 - cancel guns

Make your voice heard and sign this petition (and get involved in wildlife advocacy in your state). Make no mistake, the anti-hunting movement is gaining traction.

I just signed the petition and shared it with a friend

Gapmaster

WKR
Incompetent politicians with their political agendas that favor a voting base that far too often doesn’t understand the ecology of the mountains. Hunters are and always have been the greatest conservationists because we have a deep love of the wild and the animals that live there. But we are always painted as the “bad guys”. One day I fear our way of life will be gone…

Jkean949

FNG
Overall loss in the culture war....people that want to ban hunting are good at the long game and well funded and can readily market a message to the masses. Couple this with an ever dwindling number of hunters, fewer family ranches or traditions handed down, and exacerbate with a negative attitude for out of state hunters gives for a low population of people to educate the masses on the multitude of benefits. It's the long game that will end it.