Petition - Help Save WA Spring Bear Season

I signed, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "social" comment that was made tells you all you need to hear regarding this matter.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
This was posted on another forum.

This was sent out a while back to the WWC. There was an article about it happening in the @Northwest Sportsman Magazine with a link to that article posted here by @Bushcraft. That thread yielded about 6-8 responses if I remember correctly. I'll share the emails from one of the pro-hunting commissioners to Mark Pidgeon, who is one of the directors of the WWC www.w4wc.org who sounded the alarm and put this info out there. I feel like we missed the opportunity to speak out like the anti's did.

With Mr. Pidgeon's permission, I'll share the emails and then the information.

Hello,

This may seem nerdy but it’s serious. It’s about an attempt to change the mandate and direction of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife without going through a representative democratic process. Several F&W commissioners are proposing a “conservation” policy that would weaponize the word “conservation” for anti-consumptive preservationism. A draft policy was dropped without much advance opportunity to prepare for discussion (not that we really discuss anything at the commission, anyway) at the commission’s big tent committee last week. The draft, prepared by a couple of commissioners without other input, is the attached PDF document. The attached word document is my re-draft that I sent to the big tent committee members today. For now, this issue is before the big tent committee but the chair is anxious to move it along to adoption by the full commission.

If you concur that this is a concern, please help get the word out. The commission needs to hear from constituents other than radical anti-consumptive animal rightests who present the bulk of the public testimony in our meetings these days.

Thanks and take care, Kim

Kim Marie Thorburn, MD, MPH

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am forwarding an email from Commissioner Thornburn. I am extremely grateful that she sent this to me, as the radical commissioners want to change the direction of policy from conservation to anti-consumptive preservationism. Please read the message message from Commissioner Thornburn and get the word out to your user group. I have also sent this message to some elect officials as an FYI. Thank you very much.

Mark Pidgeon

------------------------------------------------

This was attached to the email in a pdf but I have no clue how to attach a pdf to a post and I assume that 75% of us won't open a pdf.
Read on. It's important.

Conservation: A Commission and Department Policy Guide

Policy number: C-700X

Effective date: MONTH X, 2021

Signed by: Larry Carpenter, Fish and Wildlife Commission Chair

The mandate of the Department of Fish and Wildlife is to preserve, protect and manage fish
and wildlife. Further, state law is clear that these resources are property of the state. We
believe that we, the commission, hold these resources in trust for both current and future
residents. The task of managing fish and wildlife is becoming increasingly difficult with the
amplified effects of climate change, increasing population and further fragmentation and loss
of habitat. Understanding that this task includes the important goal of ensuring access to
residents who wish to hunt, fish, recreate and simply enjoy this beautiful state if such actions
do not impair the resource, we find it necessary to set out, in policy, the guidance provided
by the recently adopted WDFW Strategic Plan.

For these reasons, the purpose of this policy is to establish an operational guide for the
Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission (Commission) and the Washington Department of
Fish and Wildlife (Department) to best preserve and protect our state's diverse fish and
wildlife resources by clarifying strategies for the Commission and Department’s conservation
decisions and actions.

The Commission recognizes that humankind is challenged by an accelerating loss of
biodiversity, globally and locally, both in terms of the growing number of endangered species
and the decreasing abundances of many animals and plants, even common ones. With
biodiversity loss is the simultaneous decline of its ecological and social benefits, ranging from
clean air and water, healthy soils and carbon storage to the many uses for sustainable
natural resources and recreational opportunities. Protecting biodiversity is essential because
in many ways it provides the foundation for our economy, health, prosperity and well-being.

Conservation at the Commission and Department
Our intent in this policy is to adopt an inclusive, up-to-date definition of conservation that
can guide the Department’s purpose, and work moving forward while incorporating the
diverse, relevant values of Washingtonians. We fully expect our definition to flexibly evolve in
time with new knowledge and experience.
Conservation: Science-informed actions to preserve the health and resiliency of natural
environments, safeguard the intrinsic values of non-human nature, and provide equitable
benefits to current and future generations of people and species. These actions include
protecting and restoring air, soil, water, biological diversity, ecosystem processes and
evolutionary potential.

Washington’s Wildlife Trust and Public Engagement
Natural resources, including fish, shellfish and wildlife, in Washington are held in trust
(wildlife trust) for current and future residents. The Commission and Department recognize
managing the conservation of that trust is dependent on both sound science and applying
shared values for the common good. To that end, public engagement with the Commission
and Department is sought to understand the current values of Washington residents, which
we believe is a key to our success in protecting Washington’s natural heritage and its public
wildlife trust for today and tomorrow. Thus, we commit to seek ample opportunities for public
input regarding Commission and Department programs, policies and decisions. We take the
role of Department Advisory Groups seriously and appreciate the importance of their
contribution.
Guidelines for Commission and Department Conservation
Being mindful of our challenging environmental context, definition of conservation, and deep
responsibility for safeguarding Washington’s public wildlife trust, the Commission sets the
following guiding principles and strategies for the Commission and Department:

1)Conservation first. Our top priority is the preservation of Washington’s native fish,
shellfish and wildlife for the benefit of all state residents and future generations. Successful
conservation is the foundation for providing sustainable recreational and commercial
opportunities, including hunting, fishing and wildlife recreation.
2)All species, habitats and ecosystems are important. Our work must strive to protect
all native fish and wildlife, even common species, because we understand the value of
preserving functional ecosystems. Species conservation is of primary importance, but so is
protecting the abundances of our biota; each living individual provides ecological benefit
toward ecosystem health.
3)Conservation complexity requires partnerships. Our work focuses on fish, shellfish
and wildlife, but a systems approach and strong coordination with all state natural resource
agencies and government jurisdictions is essential. Wildlife ignores state boundaries: we
should look toward increasing collaborations with our neighboring states and Canada. We
actively collaborate with our tribal co-managers to coordinate decisions for best management
options. We value and seek to increase our joint work with academia, business and nonprofit partners.
4)Take precautionary approaches in turbulent times. Climate change and rapid human
development (habitat loss) when coupled with a relatively limited understanding of the
working of ecosystems and mechanisms of long-term biodiversity health and resiliency -- and
considering our deep responsibility for future generations -- suggests taking more
precautionary approaches in coming months and years.

5)Bold, innovative leadership and solutions are necessary. Status quo wildlife
management has not kept pace with a rapidly changing world. Increasing occurrence of fire,
drought and warming water present new and serious challenges to our ability to achieve our
mandate. Our environmental context (health) is degrading, and as a result, conservation
priorities and values must shift. The Commission understands that innovative projects do not
always work; we must be willing to fail on occasion to succeed. We need to strengthen our
work in habitat/ecosystem protection, land connectivity, and expand our ability to restore
degraded lands and waters, both private and public.
6)Modern conservation requires an aligned vision, strategy and funding level. A
rapidly changing world that is threatening our living environment requires the Commission
and Department to adapt. The challenge is to continue both our traditional work and expand
our efforts to meet to many new conservation needs, required to meet our mandate to
protect the full diversity of Washington’s fish, shellfish and wildlife. The Commission and
Department must strengthen our communication to the public, legislature and Governor to
convince them of this needed additional support, needed partnerships and need for growth.

The foregoing conservation principles shall be incorporated by the Department of
Fish and Wildlife in the development and approval of the budget, planning and
decision-making processes.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Do they plan on doing any sort of “point reimbursement” for people that had spring bear hunt points? I’m sure everyone else is just as frustrated as I am.

Colterw

FNG
Do they plan on doing any sort of “point reimbursement” for people that had spring bear hunt points? I’m sure everyone else is just as frustrated as I am.
Never going to happen if we lose the season for good. I can kiss my points goodbye.

dwils233

FNG
Also be sure to write the Commission directly in support of the season

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Hope y’all are getting out for the last fall bear season we’ll have in WA.