The future of NR hunting in Wyoming

Fatcamp

WKR
Just like everything else, times change and opportunities change. If we don't stick together and share this hunting bond and figure out how to navigate this then our kids are screwed.
Took my boys to where we hunt in Wyoming last summer to explore. Showed them amazing velvet bucks, elk, found some arrowheads, etc. It was a great trip and we never saw another person.

Lots of experiences to be had that don't involve shooting animals, and are probably better overall.

Rich M

WKR
Took my boys to where we hunt in Wyoming last summer to explore. Showed them amazing velvet bucks, elk, found some arrowheads, etc. It was a great trip and we never saw another person.

Lots of experiences to be had that don't involve shooting animals, and are probably better overall.
10-4 to that. We try to mix some of that stuff in when we hunt. Petroglyphs, etc. just makes the overall experience fuller.

Two things are constant in Western hunting: It’s always been the new hunters fault and the future of hunting is ruined.

These USGS maps are letting everyone figure out my honey holes! Said the guy in 1960.

These 9x scopes are making it too easy for guys to shoot long range! It’s going to destroy the deer populations. Said the guy in 1980.

These ATVs are making it easy for new hunters Said the guy in 1990.

Used to be less guys on the mountain computers are going to ruin hunting! said the guy in 2000.

The draw system is ruining it for us hunters that hunt every year said the guy in 2010.

Drawing odds companies are making it too easy for new hunters said the guy in 2015.

Social media is ruining hunting said the guy in 2022.

Just plan accordingly and deal with it. Lot of people just in this thread are going to give up…that’s good…because your odds just got better.

That's the attitude that gets folks banned from hunting in 48 states. Give it a try I guess, we'll be watching.
If someone is hunting without a license already, why would they care if they can’t get one the next year?

As for increased tag costs, that’s not a huge deal to me. All the nickel and diming with preference point fees, convenience fees, etc really irritate me. That $2400 tag actually costs $3k when you add everything in.

Wyoming is a resident hunting paradise. It’s like the Wyoming government is trying to do whatever they can to get people to move there.

Laramie

WKR
This is causing quite a bit of stress for some hunters. Stinks for the guys who can't afford it... but it isn't going to lower applications much if any in my opinion.

More NR with points who sit on the sidelines every year than apply for the non OIL. WY doesn't care about NR, never has and never will. R can pick up the tab.

Really what we should do is tie Pittman–Robertson opportunity for all, WY would get chopped along with several other states since it's a net negative on the funds.

That's the attitude that gets folks banned from hunting in 48 states. Give it a try I guess, we'll be watching.
Nobody's watching. It's a shame, but it's very rare that those people actually get caught I think. Every now and then a guy will get busted and the story always comes out that he's been doing it for years and years.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody's watching. It's a shame, but it's very rare that those people actually get caught I think. Every now and then a guy will get busted and the story always comes out that he's been doing it for years and years.
If you want to talk about your poaching fantasies, you'll need take it somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Here is another thought.

So in 2024, I draw an bull elk tag in the special for the General OTC units, I am into this thing $2000 ish.

$2000 for tags
$1000 in fuel
$500 in lodging getting there
$500 in meals
$6000-7500 for a guide for unit 60.
$500-1000 for tips

So $10500-12000 for a non-resident to hunt unit 60.

Versus
$7500 for a 10 species Namibia hunt
$2000 for flights
$750 for tips
$300 for hotels in Windhoek or Joburg if you end up staying the night
$11500 plus shipping and taxidermy 3-8 months later

I had not done the math on this as a whole package. It doesn't make as much sense as I thought it did.

Probably keep doing antelope.

Fatcamp

WKR
Eeesh, the future of nonresident, and likely resident, hunting is about to take another hit in South Dakota. Sounds like the nonresident archery tags on public land are going to a draw.

Laramie

WKR
Eeesh, the future of nonresident, and likely resident, hunting is about to take another hit in South Dakota. Sounds like the nonresident archery tags on public land are going to a draw.
It's coming to public land near all of us... agencies have no choice if they want to maintain the quality of the hunts imo.

Flyjunky

WKR
It's coming to public land near all of us... agencies have no choice if they want to maintain the quality of the hunts imo.
I think so as well.

Also, at some point I think states are going to realize NR's will only pay so much for less tags/opportunity. Then they will start increasing prices for the residents to bring that budget back up. Eventually this road leads to all our driveways.

Rich M

WKR
This is causing quite a bit of stress for some hunters. Stinks for the guys who can't afford it... but it isn't going to lower applications much if any in my opinion.
Agreed.

Its just gonna shrink the pool of applicants a little, there will still be too many hunters.

That's a good thing IMO. I'd rather hunt once every few years in a draw than hunt every year in an OTC circus. Make everything for everyone a draw if you ask me and the quality overall will go up.

This is my attitude as well. I'd rather only hunt every 2-4 yrs as opposed to every weekend in a circus full of clowns.

Most guys seem to feel they deserve to hunt every weekend and if you read the MT thread, all weapons under 1 license. They're gonna have a world of change coming soon - they should have the 3 weapon seasons and licenses for each. Cure their ills and make em cry all at once. But it's the NR's fault. LoL!