The future of NR hunting in Wyoming

wytx

WKR
Rich folks do travel for meat, we do it and many others do too. I sit cost effective no but it does give us meat we would normally not have. Many folks venture up for elk for the meat, same with pronghorn. It' is just great natural meat, not bought in a grocery store.
There will always be folks coming from out of state to hunt for the meat, it does happen.
Tags are allotted with the knowledge that some young animal will get taken, nothing wrong with someone taking a 2x2 for meat.
Heck we get guys that won't even touch the antler of their trophy after shooting, they just want a big rack for the wall and give the meat away.
I know which NR hunters I would rather meet in the field.

Gobbler36

WKR
Randy Newberg’s recent video titled “burn your points” just struck me as being incredibly ironic. Here we have an influential hunting figure who’s main gig is to show thousands of people how to do a diy western hunt. He talks about how demand has gotten so bad that the best strategy is now to scrounge up whatever tag you can get because it ain’t gonna get any better. To top it off the video is sponsored by Gohunt! It’s time to quit funding the people and companies who are destroying western hunting.
So so agree. Randy is a hypocrite at best for these videos. im sure he’s a good guy and loves his family but his how to and application videos are a joke and then these guys have the audacity to complain during one of their hunts when they see another hunter

Very nice boat - I think I have a copy of that magazine article you mention. - let me know if you want an electronic copy.

Merry Christmas to you!

I know its off subject, but memories being what they are and wood boats being a love affair, I had to dig this up. Wasn't finished at the time, but well on its way.

boat deer 023.jpg

Gobbler36

WKR
Rich folks do travel for meat, we do it and many others do too. I sit cost effective no but it does give us meat we would normally not have. Many folks venture up for elk for the meat, same with pronghorn. It' is just great natural meat, not bought in a grocery store.
There will always be folks coming from out of state to hunt for the meat, it does happen.
Tags are allotted with the knowledge that some young animal will get taken, nothing wrong with someone taking a 2x2 for meat.
Heck we get guys that won't even touch the antler of their trophy after shooting, they just want a big rack for the wall and give the meat away.
If we are hunting for meat doesn’t it make sense to hold out for the bigger animal since a bigger body equals more meat?….

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
not me! I eat everyone of them. Not having a buck in the freezer last two years was getting me down. Love the meat and the antlers.

Hope to meet you in the field someday.

Rich M

WKR
I know its off subject, but memories being what they are and wood boats being a love affair, I had to dig this up. Wasn't finished at the time, but well on its way.

View attachment 490722
That’s a pintail boat for sure! Lines look good.

Just something so satisfying about building a boat, having it float and then taking your first birds out of it.

The boats i dedign/built were called hybrid duck boats. Cant seem to get any photos to come up on the phone here.

Rich M

WKR

Maybe its getting lost in the translation.

Im not against folks shooting little deer.

Im sticking w deer cause thats what we were talking about. folks used to get like 6 antelope tags and an elk is a big critter. That expands the conversation.

Im talking about folks traveling to hunt big deer then shooting little deer and whining about no big deer being there. They didnt go on a meat hunt.

There are a couple threads in the mule deer section just like this. Its what set me off in the first place.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think you nailed some solid points. I think you have to take into account the different phases of hunters.
Was there a time that you wanted to shoot the first legal animal? I bet there was, I know there was for me.
Honestly I’m much more for shooting a younger bull elk for meat, than a younger mule deer now, but it took me some time to get to the point where all I want to do is hunt mature bucks and I’m okay with eating a tag.

You want to look at who made shooting little bucks famous…. Look no further than old Steven R.
Psshhhhh... Fred Eichler was slamming little bucks for a long time before anyone ever heard of Steven R. He was just as excited over a spike as a big buck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Psshhhhh... Fred Eichler was slamming little bucks for a long time before anyone ever heard of Steven R. He was just as excited over a spike as a big buck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I will give you that. Freddy does that on camera… wether it is genuine or not only he knows. I’ve never hunted with him, but he has a huge portion of Co locked up in leases and I guess if you have enough money to hunt with the guy you can find out? He seems like a down to earth enough fellow though

manitou1

WKR
I mean yes, I understand that, but to act like people are just shooting small bucks because they want an ego boost on social media isn't true. It's easy to be a keyboard warrior and say oh I'd pass up on that young buck if I were in that position, it's whole other thing to be over a grand in the hole on a week-long hunt you've been waiting for years to go on, and getting a your first shooting opportunity on a young buck on the 6th day as the sun is setting
It is called conservation, maturity and self control.

manitou1

WKR
Why should you pass on a 2x2?

I’ll admit I don’t get the trophy hunter gig, and I pretty well completely wrote off the other poster when he said he was going on a guided antelope hunt. To me when you go guided your no longer a hunter, just a shooter.
Yes, most hunters would shoot a big one if presented the opportunity, but being willing to “eat the tag” if not presented a “trophy animal” seems contrary to my hunting values. It’s turning hunting into a game, like those fowl hunters who shoot for collars and bands.
I’m more in line with DIY hunters who want to fill a tag with the best legal critter they think they can harvest. If that’s a 2x2, then good on them.
Perspective might change if some of you guys had thousands upon thousands of folks come to your state every year and kill off your 1-2 year old bucks.

Perspective might change if some of you guys had thousands upon thousands of folks come to your state every year and kill off your 1-2 year old bucks.
All the herd decimation by NR aside, a 2x2 is often a very good balance of eatability and body size, similar to spike elk.
If one is out for table fare the animals that are of that age class are often desirable.

Folks in this conversation talk as if people only shoot small bucks/bulls because they couldn’t find larger ones.
While that is no doubt true in many cases, Id offer that the popularity of doe and cow tags is evidence that some folks just like the eats and don’t require horns as part of the deal.

bdan68

WKR
If the number of deer being killed by hunters each year is too many, wouldn't it be the job of the WGFD to reduce the number of deer licenses being issued? Or if for some reason, two point bucks need to be protected, won't the WGFD go to a 3 point minimum antler restriction? Hunters shouldn't have to feel bad for taking any deer that is legal.

Hnthrdr

WKR
All the herd decimation by NR aside, a 2x2 is often a very good balance of eatability and body size, similar to spike elk.
If one is out for table fare the animals that are of that age class are often desirable.

Folks in this conversation talk as if people only shoot small bucks/bulls because they couldn’t find larger ones.
While that is no doubt true in many cases, Id offer that the popularity of doe and cow tags is evidence that some folks just like the eats and don’t require horns as part of the deal.
I will call BS on animal size or maturity equaling better table fair, killed 7 year old bull who eats just as good as a calf and a 5 year old buck who eats great, both animals were in the middle of their perspective ruts. I think table fair has far more to do with animals diet, and how the meat is cared for post kill than just age or size

manitou1

WKR
If the number of deer being killed by hunters each year is too many, wouldn't it be the job of the WGFD to reduce the number of deer licenses being issued? Or if for some reason, two point bucks need to be protected, won't the WGFD go to a 3 point minimum antler restriction? Hunters shouldn't have to feel bad for taking any deer that is legal.
Well, I wish it were that easy my friend. Unfortunately, dollars blur the line between common sense conservation/management and greed.
You have solutions as many here can offer up, but unless we attach a $3,000,000 check to that solution it ain't going to fly. 😁

Archer86

WKR
Rich or not if your traveling to wyoming just for meat you are doing it wrong or trying to justify killing any legal deer the last few days of your hunt when you dont find that big buck so you don't go home empty handed a guy traveling from the east coast likely is driving past multiple states where you can kill multiple whitetail does otc For much less money and end up with more meat. Guys that kill solely for the antlers and don't want the meat should not be welcome to hunt any state. Gives all hunters a bad name.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Rich or not if your traveling to wyoming just for meat you are doing it wrong or trying to justify killing any legal deer the last few days of your hunt when you dont find that big buck so you don't go home empty handed a guy traveling from the east coast likely is driving past multiple states where you can kill multiple whitetail does otc For much less money and end up with more meat. Guys that kill solely for the antlers and don't want the meat should not be welcome to hunt any state. Gives all hunters a bad name.
What about a NR who kills a buck, keeps the antlers and donates all the meat to needy families. And pays for the processing so the needy families get it for free?