The Front Range

I received a job offer today in Lakewood Colorado, currently I live in Tennessee. The COL of the front range compared to where I live currently is quite shocking.
I'd be on an entry level government salary in Natural Resources, so definitely not the most lucrative thing in the world.
The housing prices for rentals are absurdly high, also trying to find a 2 bedroom with a fenced in backyard for an affordable price is very difficult.

Any residents of the front range care to offer any advice?

I have tossed around the idea of commuting from Cheyenne. Between the lack of a state income tax in WY paired with a lower COL and better resident hunting opportunity definitely appeals to me. And not to even mention I'm not much of a big city guy so I'm sure I'd prefer being somewhere further outside or on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. But the commute would be about an hour and a half each way. Although it looks like I'd be able to work from home 4 days per pay period, so I'd have to do the commute 3 days per week twice a day.
Is this something I should consider? Or am I crazy to consider this?

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations or advice, please feel free to chime in.

I received a job offer today in Lakewood Colorado, currently I live in Tennessee. The COL of the front range compared to where I live currently is quite shocking.
I'd be on an entry level government salary in Natural Resources, so definitely not the most lucrative thing in the world.
The housing prices for rentals are absurdly high, also trying to find a 2 bedroom with a fenced in backyard for an affordable price is very difficult.

Any residents of the front range care to offer any advice?

I have tossed around the idea of commuting from Cheyenne. Between the lack of a state income tax in WY paired with a lower COL and better resident hunting opportunity definitely appeals to me. And not to even mention I'm not much of a big city guy so I'm sure I'd prefer being somewhere further outside or on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. But the commute would be about an hour and a half each way. Although it looks like I'd be able to work from home 4 days per pay period, so I'd have to do the commute 3 days per week twice a day.
Is this something I should consider? Or am I crazy to consider this?

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations or advice, please feel free to chime in.

Fellow government employee here. Grew up near Lakewood and I can't afford to move back. If big city living isn't what you're after, the Denver metro area probably isn't for you... when I was growing up you could sort of escape that by living in certain areas on the west side of town like Morrison or Golden, both of which are too expensive now for someone in your position.

The Cheyenne idea is a non-starter.

I would go visit the Denver area then make a decision. Winter storm driving from Wyoming could be difficult. They shut down the highways pretty regularly up there during blizzard conditions not to mention people suck at driving in the snow. Unless your job offer doubles your current income you might want to look elsewhere. Would you not still have to pay Colorado income taxes? I’ve worked in multiple states in one year while holding residency in colorado and had to pay taxes in those states and colorado.

Phaseolus

WKR
Think of Brush or Fort Morgan. They are out on the plains but you wouldn’t live in the hellhole known as Denver.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I’d do it. Live in the city and dip the hour out of town when nature calls. Job offers in cool fields only come so often. You said two bedroom & a fence, that’s not realistic. Think 1bed 1 bath and make er’ happen captain. A boss of mine had mule deer bucks under a bird feeder. I’m sure you won’t regret. Can always move to a rural area when your career is swinging

I live in between the two, in Greeley. You will get sick of that commute quickly. Denver traffic sucks, and I25 is always busy. Honestly, Cheyenne sucks too. The wind is unbearable, and it's not a desirable town.

gman82001

WKR
I Live in cheyenne well just east in the county but what you think is an hour and a half commute will be well over 2 almost every day. It’s a cluster of a ride headed south from here. And ya cheyenne is windy but it could be worse you could be stuck in Greeley 😃

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Not really feasible if you want to stay sane. That 1.5 hour commute will easily be 2+ hours everyday. If it snows, just stay home at that point. There is some affordable housing east of Denver on the plains.

If you want to live in Wyoming, find a job up there.

Cheyenne to Denver is in no way reasonably commutable. I25 can be truly nightmarish with even minimal snow/weather and is regularly snarled. The hour and a half you have quoted is during non rushhour, and unless your driving at 3am, that will likely be closer to 2 or 2.5. That drivetime could routinely be 3 with weather and the very common wrecks/construction. Also as a self described non big city guy, just know you are signing up for a big city. If you want to hunt/fish you are signing up for a life of long distance driving and weekend highway travel into the mountains is also becoming heinous. If you dont mind me asking, who is it that you would be working for requiring in person work 3 days per week?

I Live in cheyenne well just east in the county but what you think is an hour and a half commute will be well over 2 almost every day. It’s a cluster of a ride headed south from here. And ya cheyenne is windy but it could be worse you could be stuck in Greeley 😃
Ha, alright, well played, I asked for that......

We moved here from Ohio in 2020 and quickly saw that it isn’t just housing that’s more expensive out here—everything is! Garbage service, chicken feed, hay, kids sports, groceries, gas, chipotle burritos, you name it and that was before inflation hit. Some of that stuff cost 3x as much as it did in Ohio.

Edit: There's no question it was worth moving out here from Ohio.

Last edited:
I live roughly 40 miles west of Denver, and on a good day, my commute is 50 minutes, on a bad day 2.5 hours... It is highly weather dependent and doesn't take much to make some of the roads pretty rough. That said, Lakewood isn't bad, assuming you would be working at the federal center. I lived there for 9 years before we moved out to the mountains. If you live on the west side of town, getting to the mountains is easier and you are fairly close to all the major highways. Look for rentals in Littleton, Lakewood, and Arvada. You might get lucky. As others have said, it is expensive here though, $25 for a basic lunch is pretty common. Also factor gas, and wear and tear on your vehicle with the long commutes. $400-500 extra a month in fuel goes a long way towards rent if you live closer in.

Currently quite a bit of construction being done on I-25 between Wellington and Denver.. likely to be for some time. Consider that along with weather issues in the winter. Been here since 2019, housing prices are insane and everything else costs more than it should.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 million people with the roads built to handle 1.5. You’re better off paying more to live close to work than a long commute. Rent is coming down and I expect that to continue. Just don’t get a place near I70 in WheatRidge or near Colfax, especially Colfax & Sheridan. The very SW corner of the metro area is unincorporated Jefferson county but is considered Littleton and Morrison (80127,80128,80465) for mailing and real estate which might be relatively cheaper.

WyoKid

WKR
Many have already said it: expensive, crowded, single major North-South highway is nearly bumper to bumper from Colorado Springs to Wellington, any commute will suck, and mountains are full of people hiking, skiing, fishing, camping and hunting. I commute once a month between Cheyenne and Denver and there is no way I could do that daily. IMHO I am not sure I would leave to come to Denver unless you want to get away from Nashville or Memphis or have family here.

Jimss

WKR
I would say the further east from the front range you go the cheaper the housing prices. Obviously that comes at a cost!

def90

WKR
Believe me, you are not going to want to commute I25 from Wyoming to Lakewood.

If you are open to a longer commute look in the FtLupton/Northeast Denver area. The locals still consider that area trash and have yet to gentrify it though a few are beginning to make inroads there.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I love the front range, great schools and active life for my kids. I enjoy the balance of city/mountain life. Denver to me is pretty small having lived in Chicago, NYC, and abroad. The weather is great. It has become popular for a reason.

Friday night the Denver symphony plays to Harry potter movie, Saturday Winter Park to ski, Sunday relax or ice fish, not a bad family weekend, Summer back country trips with friends or family, fall hunting. Hiking, mountain biking. Endless things to do.

the commute from WY is difficult and you can’t rely on main roads being open all the time in that stretch,