Fort Collins vs Southern WY

Howdy folks, I have a job opportunity up in Cheyenne WY. As much as I’d like to become a WY resident, I’ve heard that it’s not a great place to live. My family and I live west of Denver (so I’m aware of the negatives to living in CO) and are thinking we could just move to Fort Collins and I’d commute to Cheyenne.

Anyone have any opinions on Fort Collins vs Cheyenne? Anyone done the commute? Any overall thoughts on Fort Collins as a whole? Areas to avoid, good restaurants, things to do, etc?

Any opinions would be great, expecting the offer for the job to come this week and we’d be needing to make a move pretty soon afterwards.

Have also edited the thread title to include Southern WY. I’m open to moving there as well if it’s a good fit. My long term plan is to end up in WY, so I’d love to be able to do it sooner.

Last edited:
OP
Fever Buck
Fort Collins is basically North Boulder, more and more transplants from liberal states. You could look at Wellington, but if it was me I'd choose living in Cheyenne over Fort Collins.
Thanks. We have looked at Wellington as well. I’m open to it. Seems like nice rural spot.

What are the reasons you’d prefer Cheyenne? I’ve heard the wind is an absolute deal breaker for most.

OP
Fever Buck
I’d go up and check them both out…you’ll know quickly.
I’m not a fan of FC.

Personally, I’d rather make a 1hr drive south to Cheyanne than a 1hr drive north…
And that’s on a good day.
Thanks for the info. Where would you be driving from an hour north of Cheyenne, Wheatland?

cnelk

WKR
Tax implications are real compared to each state.

Housing costs aren’t that much different.

Wind is real in Cheyenne

Wellington is a known ‘bedroom community’. (That’s a definition of where people only sleep and work elsewhere)

Long term goal - definitely not Colorado. Anywhere

Overdrive

WKR
Thanks. We have looked at Wellington as well. I’m open to it. Seems like nice rural spot.

What are the reasons you’d prefer Cheyenne? I’ve heard the wind is an absolute deal breaker for most.
The people for me, of course I'm a redneck cowboy so maybe they like me better than the Colorado woke communities. The wind is usually the worst during winter and springtime but it's not like it's blowing hard everyday, but you have your days just like Colorado does.

Two of my sons lived in Cheyenne so I spent big chunks of time up there with them. Yeah it's windy but it ain't that bad. I wouldn't prefer it over something like Laramie or the other smaller towns but you can definitely find some nicer areas to live in or be on the outskirts. Town is large enough to have all the amenities and services needed that you'll end up driving into Cheyenne for anyway. Fort Collins is really nice but sort of a different crowd and you're gonna get tired of that drive even though it's easy. Does CO have a state income tax? Something to consider.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
If I could leave colorado I'd do it tomorrow. Stuck here for now. Fort Collins is indeed North Boulder, progressive fools everywhere.

Got this from a co-worker, can't forget it...
("oh, those fools that live East of I-25") which is me of course

OP
Fever Buck
The people for me, of course I'm a redneck cowboy so maybe they like me better than the Colorado woke communities. The wind is usually the worst during winter and springtime but it's not like it's blowing hard everyday, but you have your days just like Colorado does.
That’s good to know. I’m thinking maybe we will try to rent in Cheyenne as another option. That way if it ends up being a deal breaker it’s not hard to relocate.

cnelk

WKR
To the OP

Here’s a fun website to check out for best places to live based on a few factors

OP
Fever Buck
Rent for a year before buying. You buy and hate it you have to go through the whole process of selling. You rent and end up liking the area you’re in? It gives you a year to find the right neighborhood and house.
Totally agree. I think it would be smart to rent wherever we go.

180ls1

WKR
Rent for a year before buying. You buy and hate it you have to go through the whole process of selling. You rent and end up liking the area you’re in? It gives you a year to find the right neighborhood and house.

Yup, or at least get an AirBnb for a week/month or two in each place.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Assuming you have experience with Cheyenne, what are the negatives in your opinion?
High housing prices are number one. It's 2hrs away from any good hunting (at a minimum). The school district sucks.

It's apart of the front range. Make no mistake about it, it's changing and not for the better.

That's it in a nutshell. Feel free to pm for more details.

Taxes and people/community/culture differences have already been mentioned, but one thing I might add is to give some thought and research to commute differences. Which place will give you the best driving experiences?

Obviously there's snow and ice considerations, but also road maintenance, people, mentality, and numbers. Are the drivers better in Wyo - are they safer, more knowledgeable about driving in that weather? What about traffic flows - does one location give you a better experience driving to/from at the time of day you'll be driving? Where are you less likely to experience compacted snow/ice, because of traffic? Which area is better at maintaining their roads under those conditions? Stuff like that.