Choosing where to live in Alaska

Duh

WKR
Going to try and revive this thread. I’ve got the opportunity to move my family up to the anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer area. The job is in Anchorage (for now). I already make an hour commute for work in ND so that’s not the worst.

My question is, for those of you living in these areas, what’s a rough estimate for your travel expenses for hunting?

I get that it can vary depending on the areas your flying into but let’s just say you’re going to do a drop camp moose, caribou, and possibly sheep hunt in one year. Then maybe spring Bear hunting too.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Going to try and revive this thread. I’ve got the opportunity to move my family up to the anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer area. The job is in Anchorage (for now). I already make an hour commute for work in ND so that’s not the worst.

My question is, for those of you living in these areas, what’s a rough estimate for your travel expenses for hunting?

I get that it can vary depending on the areas your flying into but let’s just say you’re going to do a drop camp moose, caribou, and possibly sheep hunt in one year. Then maybe spring Bear hunting too.
Super cub - 250-450 per hour
206- 500-700 per hour

Reactions: Duh

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider

The best part about living in Anchorage is that my 15 minute commute leaves me with ample time after work to walk my dogs, exercise, do home projects, spend time with the wife, and find time for enjoyment during work days. Didn't know what I was missing with a 30-60 minute commute when I lived North of Seattle 10 years ago.

Not sure where IBen found such cheap flight rates- are those for a transporter out of Anchorage or the Valley? I've not seen a hunting transporter flight under $2K per person for ~1 hour or less flights. Many are booked out for years in popular hunt areas. Everything I've read and understand is that demand is high and supply of pilots is limited. Maybe I'm looking for flights in the wrong places?!

That said, there's quite a bit of road-based hunting that can be done for less than $500/week if you're willing to hike or use an ATV, or you can take a flight or ferry to destinations in state for airmiles plus a few $K for a week.

The best part about living in Anchorage is that my 15 minute commute leaves me with ample time after work to walk my dogs, exercise, do home projects, spend time with the wife, and find time for enjoyment during work days. Didn't know what I was missing with a 30-60 minute commute when I lived North of Seattle 10 years ago.

Not sure where IBen found such cheap flight rates- are those for a transporter out of Anchorage or the Valley? I've not seen a hunting transporter flight under $2K per person for ~1 hour or less flights. Many are booked out for years in popular hunt areas. Everything I've read and understand is that demand is high and supply of pilots is limited. Maybe I'm looking for flights in the wrong places?!

That said, there's quite a bit of road-based hunting that can be done for less than $500/week if you're willing to hike or use an ATV, or you can take a flight or ferry to destinations in state for airmiles plus a few $K for a week.

I’d also concur i was quoted from multiple transporters for about an hour flight not far from Palmer, ranging $2500 - $3000 per person. These were for draw tags. I know guys that have paid more than that for moose fly ins. A group of us, 5 total, paid almost $6k for two beavers down in kodiak. The flight was about 40 mins.

It’s good to know pilots haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh

WKR
Damn that’s a good chunk of money. From what I’ve gathered so far, the road hunting and hiking into areas can be pretty crowded and competitive.

I’d have a tighter budget up there starting out so the transportation costs are a bit intimidating.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not talking transporters with hunts under contract just air taxi rates I’ve been paying.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
We lived in Fairbanks for 4 years and I would never go back.
Lived in Eagle River for 25 years. Liked it, but grew to dislike it due to no land to speak of. Left in 2013. Our son moved back to south Anchorage and he loved it due to the short commute. We tried to find a house in south Anchorage with an acre or so and that also permitted us to park a rv, boat, trailer, etc on the property. This put most houses at the 900-a million or above to choose from. To rich for our blood.
We are headed back to Alaska and will be moving to Wasilla or Palmer. Luckily we are both retired so a trip to Costco now and then and to visit our son and his family is not a burden.
Hard to say what is right or wrong for someone else.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited: