The different cuts of an elk?

RLXFXR

FNG
Hunting elk this Fall and if I’m blessed to harvest one I plan to have it processed before driving back to PA. Curious if there’s a cuts I shouldn’t bother with and just have ground? I’m looking forward to trying the various roasts, etc. I’m taking out two 150qt coolers for the meat and hide. Thanks in advance!

We pressure cook/can the shanks. Makes for good stew stock or chili

Cuts to request:

Sirloin tip is a popular roast, a little tougher as steak.

Shoulder (blade) roast.

Neck roast.

Boneless "Prime Rib" roast or steak (aka backstrap).

Rump roast and/or the top and bottom rounds can be made into roasts or steamed. Can also cube the rounds for country fry (aka chicken fry).

Sirloin steak.

You could also request tri-tips if the processor knows what that is.

Flank/skirt steak, depending on how well you field dress or do the gutless "method".

Grind the trimmings into burger or breakfast sausage. I would suggest a hot BS seasoning, seems to compliment wild game better. I do a minimum of 30% pork meat/fat for breakfast sausage.

Marble

WKR
Here's how I like to do it

Shoulders, neck, rib and side meat all goes to grind. We eat a ton of burger. 2-4 lbs weekly. On some weeks.

Round steaks tenderized

Top sirloin are pretty good.

Back straps
Tenders

Not huge fan of the roasts. I've made some really good ones and i will always keep a few. But I would rather have thin steaks, seared on the grill and stored in the fridge for a few days worth of meat.

And for those who haven't done it, the tongue is awesome. I've been keeping the deer and elk tongues for the last few years. Everyone loves them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Flat irons are good too but the processor won't like that request.
Sirloins for sure, straps into chops, tri tip, roasts, shanks separate, burger.
Don't forget the tenderloins, take those out before leaving at the processor.

Shoulders, neck, rib and side meat all goes to grind. We eat a ton of burger. 2-4 lbs weekly. On some weeks.

Round steaks tenderized

Back straps
Tenders

Not huge fan of the roasts. I've made some really good ones and i will always keep a few. But I would rather have thin steaks, seared on the grill and stored in the fridge for a few days worth of meat.

And for those who haven't done it, the tongue is awesome. I've been keeping the deer and elk tongues for the last few years. Everyone loves them.

I used to do it the way you have listed, but 2 years ago, one of my buddies convinced me to switch to the exact opposite. I now keep the front blades, neck, and shanks for roasts to slow cook into shredded meat.

I still keep backstraps, tenderloins, heart, and tongue as whole cuts. Usually on elk, I'll keep a top sirloin or eye of round whole as well, but I don't typically mess with it on smaller animals.

Then pretty much the entire back legs get cut for the grinder with 10% pork fat. My family is similar to yours that we go through more burger than anything else. I also think the burger is higher quality now with those rear leg cuts compared to the front cuts with more connective tissue.

I have liked this method better than the way I used to do it. I also think the roasts are way more flavorful from the neck, blades, and shanks when you have all that connective tissue breaking down compared to the rear leg roast cuts. Your mileage may vary but figured I'd share my experience.

Round steaks tenderized

Back straps
Tenders

How are you cooking tongue? Tacos de lengua are my very favorite, but only if I buy them done, I've never been willing to cook them. haha

JDPAPA

FNG
The guys that I am going with this November never send the backstraps out EVER.
As others said above they take most all of the good meat cuts they can get and minimize the burger.
All meat is deboned before transporting too.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting elk this Fall and if I’m blessed to harvest one I plan to have it processed before driving back to PA. Curious if there’s a cuts I shouldn’t bother with and just have ground? I’m looking forward to trying the various roasts, etc. I’m taking out two 150qt coolers for the meat and hide. Thanks in advance!

It could also depend on how you field process the animal. You might contact a local butcher now and see if they want it bone in or if they are ok with boned out meat. I had a butcher grind all of the boned out meat because “they couldn’t properly recognize the muscle group without the bone”. Which I thought was BS but after that experience and a few other bad experiences I went back to processing the meat myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I'll agree on not grinding the shanks. In fact, if I can pack out any bone, I pack out the shanks on the bone.
Pickled heart is good.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We go through a lot of burger, and we haven't bought burger in decades. So I grind almost everything except tenderloins, backstrap, and maybe a roast or two. We tried shanks last year and nobody really liked those, so will probably just keep grinding them.

rideold

WKR
All depends on how you cook/eat. I grind very little. I grind as I go throughout the year if I need it for a meal. I make steaks from all the cuts that can be cooked hot and fast (backstrap, top sirloin, etc.). Depending on the size of the animal the front shoulder may just stay as one entire bone-in roast. That gets seared and slowly braised for tacos. I started using the tougher roasts as steaks this year. Slice them into 1/2" to 1" pieces, pound flat and either sear in the cast iron and sever with a pan sauce or bread and make Milanese. Whole cuts freeze better and can always be broken down further if needed.

Marble

WKR
How are you cooking tongue? Tacos de lengua are my very favorite, but only if I buy them done, I've never been willing to cook them. haha
Recently I have done it in a Crock pot. Salt, pepper, onion, garlic and some apple slices. Put it on low and wrap in foil.

There are lots of recipes you can look up. The deer tongues you don't even need to peel. Elk is a hit and miss if you need to peel them.

As long as you do it low and slow, don't let it get dry. You'll be fine.

LostArra

WKR
I just bone them off and then cut into appropriate sizes 2-3 lbs per roast. A big bull will usually yield 4-6 total and a cow 2-4.

One of the best cuts for shredded meat there is.
Just wondering. We used to just band saw a few bone-in until everyone started getting squeamish about the spine column. Elk had to be split to fit in most dutch ovens but deer could be cross cut and tossed in for braising. I like bones in with my braising recipes.