Help me make a strategy - 2026 Elk Hunt

R_burg

WKR
Hey y’all,

Thanks for the great information! The hunting style will depend on who I go with and the length of time I’ll have. I grew up backpacking in the southeast and spent 10 days in Nee Mexico in high school so getting into the back country isn’t a concern for me.

Archery or Rifle? Honestly I’d rather archery hunt but the reality of having no experience calling leads me towards a rifle hunt. I’m proficient at both but extending the killable range 300+ yards would probably outweigh my desire to harvest a bull with my bow.

It’s should like I should buy points in MT, WY, and CO.

I do appreciate the honest response of adjusting my expectations to not harvest an elk on my first hunt. Sounds like I need to plan to get out west next fall to do some scouting and if possible give elk hunting a shot! Also sounds like I should harvest a couple extra deer this fall 🤪!

Is it legal to go and practice stalking, glassing, and calling out west without holding a tag in hand? Here in GA you just have to own a general hunting/fishing license to access our state lands throughout the year.

I would suck it up and book with an outfitter/guide in NM if I was you, especially if you are familiar with it and the state holds some extra significance to your life. Landowner tags make it a very viable state for you, if you go the outfitter/guide route.

OP
L
It is legal to "practice stalking, glassing and calling", but PLEASE do that at home, and not during an active hunting season. The woods are already full of people practicing all that with a weapon in hand.
Thanks for giving me a clear answer and I would not go call during an active hunting season. I hunt public land in GA and I've had my fair share of hunts ruined by people not being considerate. I do everything I can to not be that guy in the woods. I was more thinking of a summer trip with my family where I could spend a day checking out a unit and putting in some practice.

Get a side job that pays $100 a week. Save it all to spend in 2 years on a great guided hunt that offers landowner tags. You aren't drawing anything decent with 2-3 preference points.
Do you have a specific guide service in mind that only charges $2,400? Everything I'm finding is in the $3,500-$7,000 range.

With two points in Colorado, "high probability of harvesting" probably means something like 25% odds with a rifle.
25% is pretty high in my opinion! Public land whitetail hunting in middle GA has success rates in the single digits!

Laramie

WKR
Do you have a specific guide service in mind that only charges $2,400? Everything I'm finding is in the $3,500-$7,000 range.
I would recommend finding a side job that doesn't require math.

104 weeks (2 years) x $100 = $10,400 There are plenty of guided hunts out there in this range with guaranteed tags.

There is no easy button, especially for someone just jumping in the game. You have 100,000 people ahead of you with points. The only way to jump ahead of the masses quickly is with money.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I would just go to unit 53 in Colorado. It's OTC and doesn't receive alot of hunting pressure if you get off the road and actually hunt. There's not alot of big bulls over 340" but they are a few around.

OP
L
I would recommend finding a side job that doesn't require math.

104 weeks (2 years) x $100 = $10,400 There are plenty of guided hunts out there in this range with guaranteed tags.

There is no easy button, especially for someone just jumping in the game. You have 100,000 people ahead of you with points. The only way to jump ahead of the masses quickly is with money.
I for sure missed the week comment! Whoops!

WRO

WKR
Oregon should be on your list, you can get outfitter tags and have a good hunt for less than a shit hunt in a more popular state, I’d fly from ga and just either get the meat shipped home or spend the money in extra baggage. You can get nm cow permits pretty cheap if you’re willing to look and do them most years.

Not a booking agent but I’ve got connections for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Your answer is MT archery, learn to use the internet for scouting and save your money coming from GA just to scout. Learn how MT system works and go for a general tag and have fun. Use the money you didn’t spend on an outfitter/scouting in 2026 after you get some experience in 2024 because you will be hooked.

I have scheduled a 2024 hunt in Colorado with an outfitter for my 60th birthday. I am going to Colorado this year to get some experience during 4th rifle, around Kremmling, for a cow hunt. If nothing else, because I want the meat (if I get lucky enough to get one on the ground), and I want to get experience for my big hunt next year. This year will finally be my first elk hunt, and I'm pretty excited about it. I am also coming in from the Southeast.

elk247

FNG
I have scheduled a 2024 hunt in Colorado with an outfitter for my 60th birthday. I am going to Colorado this year to get some experience during 4th rifle, around Kremmling, for a cow hunt. If nothing else, because I want the meat (if I get lucky enough to get one on the ground), and I want to get experience for my big hunt next year. This year will finally be my first elk hunt, and I'm pretty excited about it. I am also coming in from the Southeast.
Best of luck, stay warm. I’m sure you’ll be hooked!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
The ol hey I am hunting in 3 years post lol this my favorite shit. Buddy save your money putting in for draws and buy a voucher in a decent unit in CO or NV and forget about building points. Also just come on here amd actually post the year of the hunt. Good luck!