Help me make a strategy - 2026 Elk Hunt

Hey y'all!

I am planning on trying to get out west for my 35th Birthday to hunt elk and I'm looking for advice on what the best plan of action is for me. My plan is to start buying points in 1-3 states now so that I can accumulate some points before prayerfully winning a draw to hunt in 2026 for my 35th Birthday. As of right now I do not have any preference points in any states but I'd like to put together a strategy to give me the best chance possible for getting selected for a great hunt in 3 years.

So if you had time to buy points and planned to hunt in 2026 what state(s) would you focus on?

While you are here would you give me your honest feedback on a second question? I serve as a student pastor and my hunting time is limited as well as my expendable income. As I have never been hunting out west would you think it would be worth sacrificing a huge part of my whitetail season to go on a OTC hunt in 2024 or 2025 to gain some elk hunting experience? Or would I be better off saving that money to put towards a guide for my 2026 hunt? We eat whitetail meat throughout the year and I try to harvest 4+ deer for my family each season. So if I forego the majority of my whitetail season here in GA I would really like a high probability of harvesting a bull or cow elk.

Thanks in advance for your responses and if anyone wants to go hunt OTC in CO or MT next fall let me know!

As for me, personally, I solely focus on Arizona big game hunting. [However, I am considering a leftover muley tag in California]. I've hunted in California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah, along with hunting in Arizona, and I'm pretty much just solely focused on Arizona nowadays.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Archery or rifle?

OTC in Colorado will likely go away for NR's in 2025. OTC effectively doesn't exist in MT for non-residents anymore.

If I was you, I would hunt CO OTC in '23 or '24 or both. Start learning. I hunt whitetails as well, but I wouldn't even think twice about bagging a whitetail hunt in GA for an elk hunt anywhere.

Start buying bonus/pref in MT so you can draw a combo tag and hunt general in 3 years. I'd start buying points in CO as well. ID is a "pull a ticket and get in line" type event on the day licenses go on sale, no guarantees. You will need more than 3 points in WY to draw a general tag in 2026. NM has no points, it's all a lottery, so always worth trying there. AZ, NV and UT will also take points, for a high quality hunt, a lot of points. You can't hunt elk in the Dakotas unless you are a resident.

Asking for a "high probability of harvesting an elk type hunt" with only 2-3 years to buy points and having never been elk hunting before is pretty unrealistic, unless you pony up to pay to hunt on private ground somewhere. I hate to tell you that, but that's the way it is.

Hunting elk in the West is about a whole lot more than killing an elk your first go around. For the first few years, I would suggest you focus on learning as much as you can and soaking in the experience of being in the mountains. If you REALLY need the meat, I wouldn't count on coming home with an elk on your 1st try.

Last edited:
With the amount of time you have before your hunt you should go out and camp and hike your area. I’d buy Wyoming points starting now and Montana starting next year.

TaperPin

WKR
Guided hunts range from a ranch kid driving you on four wheelers to the elk’s favorite hay field to fill late season tags, to a fantastic wilderness experience full of good cooking, horse back rides, great folks and lots of trophy quality game and few other hunters. Either of those two extremes are quite different experiences from DIY elk hunting.

Sometimes the idea of something is more fun than the real thing - I took a friend from Nebraska hunting in Wyoming and he didn’t enjoy the mountains at all - made him feel weird and just couldn’t shake it.

Having said that most flatlanders have a blast in the mountains and it can be a life changing experience.

Since you are on a budget I’d say start applying for tags, gather hunting/camping gear, find a hunting buddy with similar goals and similar hunting style, and make the trip to the state as often as you can for scouting trips - the more you learn the better your odds when a tag comes along. If you’re wanting to backpack, there is no substitute for actually going there a number of times - every trip will dramatically change what you thought you knew.. If you’re car camping, there’s no substitute for route finding in the dark because you’ll need to get up well before first light to be in position at least a few miles from camp.

I knew a group of college students from Norway and they taught me there are no excuses when it comes to traveling to great places all over the country on a shoestring budget. 6 of them pitched in and bought a used minivan that was only for grocery store and weekend trips. Every week, Friday at the end of classes, they were pre packed and would drive all night if need be to one or two states over, enjoy all day Saturday and most of Sunday before driving all night to get home. With a two week break they would go clear across county, never spending a dime for a motel or restaurant. Amazing.

When money was tight I always had camping gear, clothes and pack ready to go - my favorite hunt area was only 10 hours away, but that always seemed like too far for a weekend trip. Then I’d think of the friends from Norway, and that motivated me to leave Friday afternoon, backpack in 5 miles Saturday, have a great evening scouting last light and first light Sunday, then return to the car and make it home well before midnight.

R_burg

WKR
As for me, personally, I solely focus on Arizona big game hunting. [However, I am considering a leftover muley tag in California]. I've hunted in California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah, along with hunting in Arizona, and I'm pretty much just solely focused on Arizona nowadays.
No wonder you were talking up AZ in that other thread.

How the hell is he going to get enough points to hunt anything worthwhile in 2 yrs as a NR in AZ?
Archery or rifle?

OTC in Colorado will likely go away for NR's in 2025. OTC effectively doesn't exist in MT for non-residents anymore.

If I was you, I would hunt CO OTC in '23 or '24 or both. Start learning. I hunt whitetails as well, but I wouldn't even think twice about bagging a whitetail hunt in GA for an elk hunt anywhere.

Start buying bonus/pref in MT so you can draw a combo tag and hunt general in 3 years. I'd start buying points in CO as well. ID is a "pull a ticket and get in line" type event on the day licenses go on sale, no guarantees. You will need more than 3 points in WY to draw a general tag in 2026. NM has no points, it's all a lottery, so always worth trying there. AZ, NV and UT will also take points, for a high quality hunt, a lot of points. You can't hunt elk in the Dakotas unless you are a resident.

Asking for a "high probability of harvesting an elk type hunt" with only 2-3 years to buy points and having never been elk hunting before is pretty unrealistic, unless you pony up to pay to hunt on private ground somewhere. I hate to tell you that, but that's the way it is.

Hunting elk in the West is about a whole lot more than killing an elk your first go around. For the first few years, I would suggest you focus on learning as much as you can and soaking in the experience of being in the mountains. If you REALLY need the meat, I wouldn't count on coming home with an elk on your 1st try.

Great post. Especially the bold.

R_burg

WKR
I'm a nonresident and I seem to be able to hunt it quite often.

Just looked up the odds - best odds in the state for late rifle NR (he didn't mention archery, so the easiest to draw hunt we have) with 2 points are a 30% chance to draw. Drops to 17% from there. Not sure if you're hunting cows, or just getting lucky. Good on you. But the odds are against you.

BTW that 30% odds hunt - guarantee it was way harder to draw this year. The amount of available tags dropped for NR's by a ton. But AZ hasn't released the results so I dont have the numbers. Its also a hard unit to hunt elk in on the late hunt, in general. The 17% units are also tough.

But to the OP - AZ isn't managed for opportunity. We only have 35k elk.

Not sure if you're hunting cows, or just getting lucky. Good on you. But the odds are against you.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in hunting cow elk. Never did. And yes, it is getting more difficult to get draw permits anywhere in the West, including Arizona. I'm grateful for the bull tag I got this year.

OP
L
Hey y’all,

Thanks for the great information! The hunting style will depend on who I go with and the length of time I’ll have. I grew up backpacking in the southeast and spent 10 days in Nee Mexico in high school so getting into the back country isn’t a concern for me.

Archery or Rifle? Honestly I’d rather archery hunt but the reality of having no experience calling leads me towards a rifle hunt. I’m proficient at both but extending the killable range 300+ yards would probably outweigh my desire to harvest a bull with my bow.

It’s should like I should buy points in MT, WY, and CO.

I do appreciate the honest response of adjusting my expectations to not harvest an elk on my first hunt. Sounds like I need to plan to get out west next fall to do some scouting and if possible give elk hunting a shot! Also sounds like I should harvest a couple extra deer this fall 🤪!

Is it legal to go and practice stalking, glassing, and calling out west without holding a tag in hand? Here in GA you just have to own a general hunting/fishing license to access our state lands throughout the year.

Summer hiking is completely different than fall hunting. You’re wearing more clothes, packing gear and other hunting necessities. Heavier boots. Your weapon. And it’s muddy!

cnelk

WKR
It will cost you $115 for a PP in Colorado, $75 for Wyo
[I dont know about MT]

You are always one year 'in the rears' when it comes to PP in Colorado . So you will only have 2 PP for a 2026 hunt.

3 PP in Wyo wont get you squat

2 PP in Colorado will get you into a decent low draw unit.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Hey y’all,

Thanks for the great information! The hunting style will depend on who I go with and the length of time I’ll have. I grew up backpacking in the southeast and spent 10 days in Nee Mexico in high school so getting into the back country isn’t a concern for me.

Archery or Rifle? Honestly I’d rather archery hunt but the reality of having no experience calling leads me towards a rifle hunt. I’m proficient at both but extending the killable range 300+ yards would probably outweigh my desire to harvest a bull with my bow.

I do appreciate the honest response of adjusting my expectations to not harvest an elk on my first hunt. Sounds like I need to plan to get out west next fall to do some scouting and if possible give elk hunting a shot! Also sounds like I should harvest a couple extra deer this fall 🤪!

Is it legal to go and practice stalking, glassing, and calling out west without holding a tag in hand? Here in GA you just have to own a general hunting/fishing license to access our state lands throughout the year.
It is legal to "practice stalking, glassing and calling", but PLEASE do that at home, and not during an active hunting season. The woods are already full of people practicing all that with a weapon in hand.

Laramie

WKR
Get a side job that pays $100 a week. Save it all to spend in 2 years on a great guided hunt that offers landowner tags. You aren't drawing anything decent with 2-3 preference points.

KHNC

WKR
Hey y’all,

AZ is the best place to practice calling , stalking and glassing bulls. Especially during the rut. The other hunters that waited 16-17 years to draw a bull tag wont mind, since you dont have a tag. They will probably help you out.

With two points in Colorado, "high probability of harvesting" probably means something like 25% odds with a rifle.

A PP point in MT is wasted if you don’t apply the following year. So you would need to apply for a tag in ‘24 if you bought one this summer.

I’m fully aware. My post never said to buy a preference point for Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk