The cartridge for the next 30 years….

bullnose

FNG
I've gone through a lot over the years, and I've settled comfortably on .308, .243, .22LR, and where I must due to law, .350 legend. There is a still a Marlin "Texan" in 30-30 that sees an occasional trip to the woods, but all the rest have been sold or were given to family members.

7-08 still tempts me at times, and I may just give in at some point.

Okie_Poke

FNG
There are hundreds of discussions about this cartridge vs that cartridge. There are new cartridges coming out every year it seems. But if you were going to buy one heirloom type rifle for the rest of your hunting days, what would it be chambered in? This would be for elk, deer, maybe a moose or bear scattered in the mix.

30-06 for me. The old war horse was my first and I just won't be without one. Frankly, the 6.5 Creedmoor is better for most things I do with a rifle, probably adequate for the others, and I shoot one of my Creedmoor rifles a lot more these days than I do any of my '06 rifles. The Creedmoor is a close second because I think it is "the 308" of the early 21st century. But given the parameters, I still have to go with the '06.

Leinad

FNG
Sometimes it’s the intangibles. I would decide based on what YOU like.
I’ve decided that is the most important quality in a cartridge or firearm.
I’ve seen many a person buy something based on stellar reviews or recommendations. Only to have it sit because they don’t actually like it.

If you like it, you will shoot it. And time behind the gun is the big difference maker. An animal doesn’t care whether it’s a .223 or a 300wm in its lungs. It is dead just the same.
I’ve spent more money than I care to admit with different calibers and platforms.
When it comes down to it, I’ll always keep a .308 in the stable, and a .223/5.56.
They just work. They are boring. Nothing special. But they just work.
That said I’m also a fan of the PRC family. Currently building a 6.5. Had a 7PRC.

I would consider what level of recoil you can manage well. And get the cartridge that speaks to you within that comfort zone.
I am recoil adverse. I admit it.

Cheers and happy deciding!

jhenk

FNG
30-06 what’s lasted almost 120 years should last another 30 especially with high bc modern bullets and powder

BKehoe05

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from nastalgia- why on earth is the 308 even being considered relevant??? We might as well discuss the merits of the hawken over the kentucky long rifle😂.

308 as a trainer- sure. You will gain a huge appreciation for wind calls/range. The 308 sucks ballz in the wind, drops like a bowling ball, and delivers terribly anemic energy on target when it finally decides to show up to the party.
Inside 300 yards, who cares what you chose- but recommending a guy going into the gun shop for “one gun” to hunt with for the rest of his life and reaching for the 308 in today’s market is laughable.
Met a guy yesterday who claimed to have spent $1k on a Kimber in .308 and my question was why the hell did you get a .308…. The response was accurate, consistency. quality and availability. I then showed him a Ruger American Predator in a 6.5 CM that does the same thing for half the price… some people just do not know

medvedyt

WKR
Met a guy yesterday who claimed to have spent $1k on a Kimber in .308 and my question was why the hell did you get a .308…. The response was accurate, consistency. quality and availability. I then showed him a Ruger American Predator in a 6.5 CM that does the same thing for half the price… some people just do not know
what you think you know and what others think they know might be the opposite ... on the long run i doubt your ruger american will last ...but what do i know lol ...

grfox92

WKR
That Kimber will be around in 100 years. The Ruger American will he thrown in the garbage in your lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BKehoe05

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t really understand all the votes for 280AI. I certainly get the ballistics, but has regular ammo availability become a thing? And will it still be 30 years from now with all that’s going on in the modern cartridge industry?

Hard to see what the 280AI offers over the much more popular 7mm Rem Mag.
Ballistically speaking the 280AI compares to the 7mm REM mag in pretty much all necessary categories except ammo availability. is not even a comparison and 30 years from now, your body may not
That Kimber will be around in 100 years. The Ruger American will he thrown in the garbage in your lifetime.

unfortunately none of us will be around in 100 years to validate that… however buying a $1k Kimber chambered in .308 would not be something I’d spend my money on however to each their own.

grfox92

WKR
Ballistically speaking the 280AI compares to the 7mm REM mag in pretty much all necessary categories except ammo availability. is not even a comparison and 30 years from now, your body may not

unfortunately none of us will be around in 100 years to validate that… however buying a $1k Kimber chambered in .308 would not be something I’d spend my money on however to each their own.

I also wouldn't spend $1k on a Kimber. However there is no denying that Kimber is a quality action, and the Ruger is a literal piece of junk that happens to shoot very well. I have one. It's incredibly accurate, but it's also a piece of junk.

Gen273

WKR
I don't get the Kimber hate on here, they are great rifles. I have never had one that did not shoot well. Maybe I am just lucky….🤷🏼‍♂️