The cartridge for the next 30 years….

Bluefish

WKR
Have always heard it mentioned but don’t know the details. Why is the belt bad?
It’s used for setting head spacing. it harder to control when reloading than the shoulder. Also serves no purpose anymore, why the newer chamberings removed it. in the end, why have it as it does nothing and makes reloading a little more difficult. Does it cause any problems, not really.

wyosam

WKR
Have always heard it mentioned but don’t know the details. Why is the belt bad?

I wouldn’t say bad, just doesn’t really serve a purpose- headspacing off the shoulder makes a lot more sense than the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
For my needs 308 or 300 Win Mag.

Neither are going away any time soon and will always have better ammo selections than anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t know, most shops seem to have a bigger variety of creedmoor options than 308, and especially 300WM.

Marble

WKR
Less powder and recoil for similar performance. No belt. Not much really. But in all reality there is very little effective difference in hunting cartridges across a very broad range for 90+% of uses. Yet here we are all in another cartridge debate thread. The 7 rem mag has had a good run and more than likely will continue to. In terms of separation from where the market and cartridge design has been been going for some time now though, the belted cartridges are the most antiquated.

Totally agree. The 7mm for me was my #2. I killed a few dozen elk and a pile of blackmail and mule deer over the years with one. I switched to a 300WM only because it found an identical rifle in stainless. I switched and now my 7mm is my back up.

But I forgot about the 280AI. I have one of those too, it's a great rifle. Very close to a 7mm with no belt and great brass life. I haven't really messed with it too much. I need tonfine tune it a bit.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

xsn10s

WKR
I purchased a 7mm RM for a long range elk rifle. I originally picked a 300 WM for LR elk but I'm sure the 7mm RM will suffice. And it's cheaper to load for, eats less powder so that will probably be important in the future. That said I think the 300 WM and cartridges in that ballistic area are fine. As are 308 win, 7-08, and 260 rem. The 6.5 CM is fine also since it mirrors 6.5 Swede ballistics. I'm glad that I don't have to pick just one cartridge. My 5.56, 308, 30-06, and 7mm RM will fit 100% of my needs. I'll probably add a 7-08 and a fast twist 22-250 it the future.

xsn10s

WKR
As far as reloading for a belted magnum I just bump the shoulder as I do any of my beltless cartridges. I'll buy a body die if I need to in the future. It's a non issue for me. And at the time I purchased my 7mm RM last year better brass was more available than the 7 PRC.

I think the answer to this lies within what you are hunting. In the west, 7RM or 06 or larger. East, midwest or south, the same or smaller. If you don't handload, then it is availability of ammo.

I'm still reloading brass that my father got from his brother in WWII. I'm still shooting a 7RM from the 60s. Long range shooting isn't much of an option as there isn't much long range seeing.

I don’t know, most shops seem to have a bigger variety of creedmoor options than 308, and especially 300WM.

Not around here. Cabelas for example has 2 full shelves about 12-15’ long that are nothing but 308 & 300 Win Mag.

About 1/2-3/4 of one shelf for 6.5CM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, .284 (for the) Win! It's my personal favorite "goldilocks" 7mm, enough oomph to push the heavy 7s but still manageable recoil, works great in a LA converted Tikka. Does require a custom barrel, but if we're talking 30 years then I'm assuming a re-barrel is in the picture. As far as brass availability, the competition scene as well as 6.5-284 options should keep it alive for a long time.

Second choice would be a 6.5PRC.

And the only rifle choice is Tikka!

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Or the hornady guys would say energy delivery on target is irrelevant to how the bullet performs. Expansion just magically happens? Penetration just magically happens without any energy?
Ummm, not to get caught up in this slam fest, but expansion and penetration are functions of velocity, provided it’s a normal weight hunting bullet.

grfox92

WKR
Not around here. Cabelas for example has 2 full shelves about 12-15’ long that are nothing but 308 & 300 Win Mag.

About 1/2-3/4 of one shelf for 6.5CM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree with this 100%. There is more .308 than any other cartridge in every sporting goods store in my area.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
It’s physics man- a TON of better cartridges out their that will deliver vastly superior performance in literally every metrics. I’m not saying your 308 is not lethal….. it certainly is. But the round is dead, when we compared it to more modern designs. Definitely not a top choice for THE one and done rifle to hunt with as was the op’s question. Can you concede to these points?

There is always something better, badder. The topic is a hunting gun. You seem to be widening the field.

Aside from 6.5, 270, 30-06, 243, few other calibers have the popularity.

Im also gonna step out and say LR hunting wont be allowed in 20 or 30 years.

I agree with this 100%. There is more .308 than any other cartridge in every sporting goods store in my area.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I've also seen a ton of 308. I just assumed because less guys are shooting it. Ten years ago most guys I knew were deer hunting here with either a 7mm mag, 30-06 or 308. Now it's flipped to where most guys (especially newer hunters) are using 6.5CM. Go spend a bunch on a custom and then watch a guy with a Ruger American stacking them in with Hornady whitetail ammo, does kinda make you scratch your head.

SROB34

FNG
.308 owner here. Elk and mule deer hunter, inside 500yds, and I can vouch that its done its job with good shot placement.

Agreed with the others on the modern ballistics - highest performers in today's cartridges would not include the .308. But it still does its job and tons of ammo to be found or hand loaded.

I plan to move over to the 7 PRC at some point, as I think it truly is the most versatile cartridge for bigger game in North America, with the ability to stretch distances at which I'd want to ethically shoot. Probably further than that to shoot for fun.

Key word in your question is heirloom. Jury is still out on 7 PRC and market adoption like some of the more timeless cartridges (which I think the .308 is a part of).

My .02 = .308 works great, but I think the 7 PRC would work better, hoping it gains some traction and then I think I'll get on board.