The cartridge for the next 30 years….

Man, keep up - I was referring to what you were saying and making a satirical reference to how very ignorant you are in the fact that you honestly believe energy is irrelevant…. Now that I just to wasted time spelling it out to you. It’s called sarcasm.
This has devolved into a sling shot vs rifle energy debate- let’s agree to disagree. 308 all the way 👍🏻 You win lol.
Please explain how ft pounds of energy equates to better performance. It’s more about how the bullet is designed to work. You can take a two bullets, with the same energy numbers, and one give you great terminal performance and the other won’t, simply based on their design. Energy doesn’t matter near what you think it does.

grfox92

WKR
Man, keep up - I was referring to what you were saying and making a satirical reference to how very ignorant you are in the fact that you honestly believe energy is irrelevant…. Now that I just to wasted time spelling it out to you. It’s called sarcasm.
This has devolved into a sling shot vs rifle energy debate- let’s agree to disagree. 308 all the way You win lol.
We can agree to disagree. This is a thread about what caliber rifle people would pick as their forever rifle. You came in here and insinuated people saying .308 were idiots, one of the reasons being that it doesn't have enough energy. You are the one who started a problem here. You are the one who with a strong position on something you don't understand.

In regards to energy mattering in terminal performance, your going to have a very busy Monday. You will have Call Gunwerks and Best of the West when they open and let them know they are doing long range hunting wrong. Im sure they will want to hear from you since you clearly know better than them...

After that, give Hornady and Berger a call and let them know they don't understand how bullets work and need to redesign their entire product line.

After that go listen to the Shoot2Hunt podcast episode "FF Episode 3- Bullet Energy is Irrelevent" so you can get a good laugh about how the articulate explanation about how energy doesn't matter is clearly wrong.

"You're done bro!"

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
There are hundreds of discussions about this cartridge vs that cartridge. There are new cartridges coming out every year it seems. But if you were going to buy one heirloom type rifle for the rest of your hunting days, what would it be chambered in? This would be for elk, deer, maybe a moose or bear scattered in the mix.

Is the .270 Win. an "heirloom cartridge?"

You tell me.

Then you will know how to gauge an heirloom rifle.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
This has devolved into a sling shot vs rifle energy debate- let’s agree to disagree. 308 all the way 👍🏻 You win lol.

Sir. You are getting a bit out of your depth here. Please spend some time reading and researching and you will understand why.

Also its not polite to call other members ignorant and insulting other members is frowned upon here.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t care who said what first but there’s a growing trend in any optics, caliber, reloading thread to make snide comments and tongue lash each other which has been keeping some long time contributing members from wanting to participate anymore.

If someone starts off disrespectful then either ignore it or kill it with kindness, don’t continue the trend.

Lol. I do enjoy all the cartridge debates as they devolve into this every single time, simply because someone believes their more knowledgeable than the other. Who cares? It's personal opinions, all of it.

No need for someone to quote and tell me how ballistics work and how they differentiate cartridges from each other because at the end of the day, 223 and 300wm both kill animals.

Personally I'll pick 270 just because I like it!

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Smcask100

FNG
I’d have to go with the 7prc for one “do it all” rifle in the lower 48. I drank the hornady koolaid and am a fan boy of the PRC cartridges. 7 PRC seems to be a happy medium and carry sufficient energy for most anything. The recoil isn’t terrible and even better with a brake/ suppressor. 22-24 inch barrel with a 1/8 twist and run 175 grain bullets all day. That being said, it would be nice to see more factory ammo available.

Snailz

FNG
Aside from nastalgia- why on earth is the 308 even being considered relevant??? We might as well discuss the merits of the hawken over the kentucky long rifle😂.

308 as a trainer- sure. You will gain a huge appreciation for wind calls/range. The 308 sucks ballz in the wind, drops like a bowling ball, and delivers terribly anemic energy on target when it finally decides to show up to the party.
Inside 300 yards, who cares what you chose- but recommending a guy going into the gun shop for “one gun” to hunt with for the rest of his life and reaching for the 308 in today’s market is laughable.
308 in a 22” barrel doing 3000 fps with a 150gr Bulldozer 2 (.264 g7) over LVR isn’t falling like a bowling ball. It takes some doing to squeeze good long range performance out of a 308, but if you’re keeping things within 500 yards, you can take everything on the continent with the old 308. Use premium, tough bullets, know your limits, and take advantage of your long barrel life to practice, practice, practice with your setup. Is it what I would choose for a do-everything-forever? No. But writing it off as completely irrelevant is just ignorant.

JjamesIII

WKR
We can agree to disagree. This is a thread about what caliber rifle people would pick as their forever rifle. You came in here and insinuated people saying .308 were idiots, one of the reasons being that it doesn't have enough energy. You are the one who started a problem here. You are the one who with a strong position on something you don't understand.

In regards to energy mattering in terminal performance, your going to have a very busy Monday. You will have Call Gunwerks and Best of the West when they open and let them know they are doing long range hunting wrong. Im sure they will want to hear from you since you clearly know better than them...

After that, give Hornady and Berger a call and let them know they don't understand how bullets work and need to redesign their entire product line.

After that go listen to the Shoot2Hunt podcast episode "FF Episode 3- Bullet Energy is Irrelevent" so you can get a good laugh about how the articulate explanation about how energy doesn't matter is clearly wrong.

"You're done bro!"

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Ok, keep saying the 308 is awesome- are you trying to say those people are making that same claim??? Like that’s the hill your dying on bro? To reiterate- we have many better choices. Gunwerks would pick your lousy 308 over a 6.5 prc for example? Or the hornady guys would say energy delivery on target is irrelevant to how the bullet performs. Expansion just magically happens? Penetration just magically happens without any energy? Would that be what you’re insinuating? Just trying to figure out what you’re saying- it’s not making much sense.

Again- the op’s question is not even being discussed among us anymore- let’s just agree that the 308 is amazing and move on. He should definitely buy a 308 😂

JjamesIII

WKR
308 in a 22” barrel doing 3000 fps with a 150gr Bulldozer 2 (.264 g7) over LVR isn’t falling like a bowling ball. It takes some doing to squeeze good long range performance out of a 308, but if you’re keeping things within 500 yards, you can take everything on the continent with the old 308. Use premium, tough bullets, know your limits, and take advantage of your long barrel life to practice, practice, practice with your setup. Is it what I would choose for a do-everything-forever? No. But writing it off as completely irrelevant is just ignorant.
I never said you cannot make stuff die with a 308. It can do that sometimes….but in comparison to the modern cartridges of today- it is not relevant. Tell me please, where the 308 is a better choice other than the reason I’m which I have already stated. I’ll add barrel life as a positive attribute to extend a nod to the ol’ musket.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Ok, keep saying the 308 is awesome- are you trying to say those people are making that same claim??? Like that’s the hill your dying on bro? To reiterate- we have many better choices. Gunwerks would pick your lousy 308 over a 6.5 prc for example? Or the hornady guys would say energy delivery on target is irrelevant to how the bullet performs. Expansion just magically happens? Penetration just magically happens without any energy? Would that be what you’re insinuating? Just trying to figure out what you’re saying- it’s not making much sense.

Again- the op’s question is not even being discussed among us anymore- let’s just agree that the 308 is amazing and move on. He should definitely buy a 308 😂

What is the minimum impact energy for hornadys ELD-M line of bullets? Can you cite from hornady please

JjamesIII

WKR
What is the minimum impact energy for hornadys ELD-M line of bullets? Can you cite from hornady please
No I cannot- because I’m over it. 308 is it 🤙🏻 I’m actually going out tonight to buy another one just to collect dust in the safe.