The cartridge for the next 30 years….

Wyo_hntr

WKR
There are hundreds of discussions about this cartridge vs that cartridge. There are new cartridges coming out every year it seems. But if you were going to buy one heirloom type rifle for the rest of your hunting days, what would it be chambered in? This would be for elk, deer, maybe a moose or bear scattered in the mix.
6.5 creedmoor

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 creedmoor is the 308 for the next 30 years in many ways. All of the things that the 308 does, the 6.5 can do and do it better.

Ammo for the 6.5 has gotten considerably cheaper and sometimes cheaper than 308, people will continue to buy the 6.5 over the 308 and this trend will only continue, I believe.
Ammo options are also broader than ever before with things like Hornady's new VT loads all the way up to the ELDMS and ELDXs.

30 years from now the 308 will be mostly a relic and the trusty ol' 6.5 creed will be what old timers pack around and talk about it's reliability over the past few decades.
This comes from a guy who shoots a 308 and doesn't even own a 6.5.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
With what’s becoming known about the performance of match bullets like ELDMs and TMK, I don’t see much reason to carry 308, 30-06, 300 Win, etc.
Why deal with all that recoil? Read the .223 thread.
For people that want to shoot longer range, those cartridges make less sense now.

Lower recoil, less wind drift, and much better ability to spot shots trumps nostalgia.

I’ve shot a ton of 308, including on most of my game animals, but other than ammo availability, can’t think of a reason to prefer it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Old me (3 years ago) would have said 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag… new me with a better understanding of shooting, ballistics, terminal performance would say 6.5cm, and .308. 500 yards and in these two will do everything you want all while not beating your wallet or your shoulder up

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t really understand all the votes for 280AI. I certainly get the ballistics, but has regular ammo availability become a thing? And will it still be 30 years from now with all that’s going on in the modern cartridge industry?

Hard to see what the 280AI offers over the much more popular 7mm Rem Mag.

280AI is just a well balanced hard hitting cartridge that is also very accurate. It works great from coyotes to grizzly bear and moose. It also seems to be getting more and more popular. I sure like it.
1712418817686.png 1712418853849.png

I’m an old man so I won’t be around in 30 years.
I remember carrying pails of 06 brass back to the truck when pop was shooting match rifles I was 10 or so.
I can load it from a varmint round to an any North American big game cartridge.
pop left me some really nice Winchester target rifles… pics when I figure out how. He also left me a 458 Winchester and I have shot it one time so the 30 government 06 is ahh forget it I started reminiscing and wandered off on you.

I’m an old man so I won’t be around in 30 years.
I remember carrying pails of 06 brass back to the truck when pop was shooting match rifles I was 10 or so.
I can load it from a varmint round to an any North American big game cartridge.
pop left me some really nice Winchester target rifles… pics when I figure out how. He also left me a 458 Winchester and I have shot it one time so the 30 government 06 is ahh forget it I started reminiscing and wandered off on you.
An NRA match where they're shooting out to 600 yards with open sight M1 garands is something all gun enthusiasts should go watch.

JjamesIII

WKR
You just quoted yourself. Not sure if your trying to say I'm done? Or your done.... you know because you think energy has an effect on terminal ballistics....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Man, keep up - I was referring to what you were saying and making a satirical reference to how very ignorant you are in the fact that you honestly believe energy is irrelevant…. Now that I just to wasted time spelling it out to you. It’s called sarcasm.
This has devolved into a sling shot vs rifle energy debate- let’s agree to disagree. 308 all the way 👍🏻 You win lol.

300 WM. I can reload a 300 WM to 308/30-06 velocities if I had too. Light loads, heavy loads, and everything in between. Lot of flexibility with the 300 WM.

Any of the heavy hitters in 0.284 or 0.308, with reloading, would meet my needs.