The Best of the ‘Mid-Tier’ Clothing for Whitetail?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering some new clothes for next season and I’m just curious to see what everyone is using. I’m primarily interested in stand hunting whitetails in TN. The winters don’t stay brutally cold but we do get a few cold snaps that I want to be out in.
I’m mainly looking at something of better quality that you could find at Walmart but not as expensive as the top-tier stuff like Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, etc.
I’m particularly interested in Drake NonTypical, Nomad, ScenLok, and the Mossy Oak line. For those of you that have experience with these what has worked well for you?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my take I buy mostly "Top tier" brands but get them at good sale prices you just need to be patient. Other brands I have used and thoughts.
Nomad seems very good quality just did not like the fit.
Kryptek I feel they are top tier they just don't get the press
Pnuma Also top tier IMO
Cabelas mostly junk IMO I do like there Woolimite stuff.

I stepped it up to some of the more expensive brands a while ago.

I had good luck buying some real tree under armor gear off eBay years ago. It held up very well for me and I still use and wear it. I think the soft shel pants i have can be had for like $40 and the jacket for $80.

jrkananen

FNG
Buy once, cry once. I've been slowly acquiring more top tier clothing when I can afford them, but I check Camofire nearly every day, they have some of the best deals around, especially if you're not in a time crunch and you can acquire gear throughout the year.

KMF

FNG
I would agree on camofire that's a cheat code when it comes to getting gear cheap. I would worry about a good outer layer first with windstopper then you can layer with more cost effective stuff until you want to upgrade it. Like a sitka stratus system on sale and add clothes underneath will be your best bet imo. Can wear at 55 down to 5 with proper layering. You can also find the discounted stuff for cheap such as the 2021 jetstream is a great jacket if you layer properly.

OP
C

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
So, I’m assuming the general consensus is to avoid the ‘mid-tier’ gear and just look for Sitka and other top brands on sale or second-hand?

KMF

FNG
Yes Facebook marketplace is a another good place to look Can get good deals there. You wont regret it once you use the stuff it can be a game changer in terms of bulk reduction and breathability while maintaining warmth.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So, I’m assuming the general consensus is to avoid the ‘mid-tier’ gear and just look for Sitka and other top brands on sale or second-hand?
Yes. You'll appreciate it after you've used it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck at Walmart. Check out some of the scheels brand clothing, they make some good stuff for decent money and they will stand behind their products

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Also a camofire daily checker. Just a tip, they typically run Sitka Saturday’s. Can get some great deals depending on size and pieces your looking for.

When looking for a particular piece for a buddy or myself this is a great site. Have ordered many times. They typically have a lot of Sitka on sale at least. Haven’t looked at what other brands they have.

LoggerDan

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with not buying or wanted to outfit yourself top to toes in kuiu gear while you’re whitetail hunting, I don’t own any high end clothes with the exception of raingear..I need that stuff!

I’ve done most of not just hunting, but more importantly all my killing in less than top tier gear. Filson tin pants, hickory shirts. Wool shirts and wool sweaters. I score lots of high dollar wool at higher median income towns and cities goodwill and value village. You’d be amazed at what those rich folks will donate once they stop liking the color! I’ve logged and guided and hunted in some pretty crummy weather and situations, and wools and polys and tins have served me well. Spend your money on a pack, decent boots, good pair of field glasses and your taxidermist. I hope this brings a little hope for you.

I stand hunt in KY so I get about the same weather as you depending on where in TN you're located.
Some of the drake nontypical stuff isn't too bad. For me the fit was weird and inconsistent.
I've slowly caught sitka stuff on deep discount that was actually cheaper or around the same price as drake.
For me I went to store that carried it and tried on a few items to get an idea for fit. Found my size and I can say that everything so far across the sitka line in my size fits nicely.
Good thing about higher tier clothes is that it's usually lighter and packable, which is super convenient walking to the stand, instead of trying to stuff bulky heavy clothes into a pack.

As far as items for our climate I'd look at the Jetstream, has the windblocker and you'd be surprised at how much it helps keep you warm.
That jacket and a couple good base layers of synthetics should get you into most of the temps you probably see.

Mountain-archery.com and eurooptic.com usually have some pretty good sales.
I've found the open country pattern actually blends well in the stand on oaks and hickory.

triglet40

FNG
It’s not on your list but the wife and I both are using Rivers west clothes. i’ve had the original waterproof fleece jacket for 10 years and it’s still going strong. It’s great for stand sitting and is windproof and waterproof. It’s rough if you want to walk miles in as it does not breathe well.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I've bought Kryptek stuff on sale and have been generally happy with what I use. Valhalla during early to mid season with adding in merino base and next year will have a mid layer as well to squeeze more out of the system. I purchased the Njord system when it was first released and while I like the system I rarely use it as it's too warm for any type of movement and it does not pack very well. I've added a puffy for next season and will possibly offload the Njord equipment if everything works the way I believe it will. It also helps that I don't rifle hunt so for here in PA I'm typically wrapped up prior to Thanksgiving and have yet to get out for late archery.

Shop sales for everything and just be patient. Don't be afraid to mix and match as well. Remember you don't have to look like a catalog for a specific brand.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor