"The Best Killer Elk Rifles from a Guide's Perspective"

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting at any live animal with a .300wm I don't have a single recollection of bad felt recoil. On a bench 10-15+ rounds in, maybe. But I am not packing around 6lb scoped .300wm either.

The Guide

WKR
I've seen elk killed with everything from a 223 to a 375 Ruger. Elk aren't hard to kill. Put bullets where they need to go and they die. Using an accurate rifle with a properly designed bullet is far more important than the caliber of the rifle. Practice and confidence are king.

Jay

Archer86

WKR
I've seen elk killed with everything from a 223 to a 375 Ruger. Elk aren't hard to kill. Put bullets where they need to go and they die. Using an accurate rifle with a properly designed bullet is far more important than the caliber of the rifle. Practice and confidence are king.

Jay
I got ask are there states it is actually legal to hunt elk with a 223?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Shooting at any live animal with a .300wm I don't have a single recollection of bad felt recoil. On a bench 10-15+ rounds in, maybe. But I am not packing around 6lb scoped .300wm either.
Agree. I'm kind of fond of My .300 Winmag. Four elk, 120-460 yards. Didn't have to go look them either.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The best elk cartridge made, is the one I use to kill my elk every year. That may be different than your elk cartridge, and that’s ok.
I’ve been blessed to shoot many elk with a .308 Win and few with a .270 Win and .260 Rem. Not one of the elk I shot new the difference between those three cartridges, nor did the elk complain that they weren’t magnum dead.

Last edited:

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
The best elk cartridge made, is the one I use to kill my elk every year. They may be different than your elk cartridge, and that’s ok.
I’ve been blessed to shoot many elk with a .308 Win and few with a .270 Win and .260 Rem. Not one of the elk I shot new the difference between those three cartridges, nor did the elk complain that they weren’t magnum dead.
What do you mean you weren't shooting the Hornady 300 PRC? Don't you know the latest edition of Bugle says that its unethical to use anything less?

Tahoe1305

WKR
shoot the largest caliber you are comfortable with and shoot accurate.
If you choose a lesser caliber acknowledge the range limitations and live within them.
I believe you should understand the energy required to kill an elk and abide by it. You owe that
to the animal.

If you hit an Elk in the wrong place with any caliber you are in for a long day.
So I can kinda get on board with a bigger caliber (and energy not just hole) does provide a margin of error. But that ain’t responsible hunting.

I shot a hog once with a 338LM and he was running and I didn’t pull enough lead (couldn’t give up the very front of him). I hit his hind quarter at 200yds. Awful and unreasonable shot in hindsight….needless to say a 338LM does some damage that a 6.5PRC will never do.

It will quickly kill most without a direct hit just from blood loss and mass carnage. Also not best for harvesting meat. But more forgiving for a kill…..I guess.

More elk have been killed with a 270 than most other cartridges...just not at 300 or 400 yds.
Know your gun, shoot it well and any elk hit in the heart or lungs will die no matter what caliber.....

Marshfly

WKR
I admire the ability of a guide to find elk and put the hunter in a situation where he can harvest that elk. However, using his observation of what is probably, a ton of marginal shooters using rifles they have not practiced with sufficiently and those shooters have developed flinches because of it does not make him an expert in what calibers kill animals. Not even close.