The 6UM

B23

WKR
Just binged this whole thing like it was the second coming of the .223 thread.

My toxic trait is thinking I need one of these when I barely need a 6cm.

-J
Pfft, "need" is like the boring nerds that wants to end the party at 9pm before it even is getting started "want" is the cool kids that party on till the sun comes up. :)

I learned long ago that if I based builds/purchases off of "need" well hell I'd probably only have maybe two or three rifles and they'd all be chambered in conservative perfectly capable off the shelf, but boring, cartridges and for some, probably even many, that would be the smart thing to do, BUT, where's the fun in that so I'm a proponent to having a good mix of a little bit, or even a lot if that's what you want, of mild to wild.

I was out at Defensive Edge talking to Shawn and his dad awhile back about a build and joked about all the stuff we spend money on when I could just as easily get by with a couple rifles. His response perfectly put it into perspective when he said "there's a lot worse things we could spend our money on".

Everyone "needs" at least one rifle chambered in fire breathing dragon!

68 grains of 570 got me 3215. +P chamber

The barrel is 16.75” I made it a little longer cause the suppressor peeps thought there could be an issue at 16” so I gave it an extra 3/4

Gotta shoot some groups now.

58b02896bffc656f20513d2bf50a614b.jpg

39d332f1e45dcae374bd81beb05a2f76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
that’s a pretty sweet indoor shooting situation you got there. Care to elaborate?? What is that tube thing you’re shooting through?

Everyone "needs" at least one rifle chambered in fire breathing dragon!
Agree. Even if we're not shooting long range, drop and windage are both things that we can ifluence depending on what cartridge we shoot. For me, the 6UM's attractiveness is in these two areas. For guys that are shooting inside 500 yards, it provides maximum control on drop and windage, reducing the impact of these variables and the magnitude of adjustments an average shooter needs to contemplate/execute.

This thread has me second guessing (again) my long term future with my Tikka .25-06. While I may not go the 6UM route, a 6-06 would would be a good comparable that wouldn't require anything but a new barrel and reloading components.

BBob

WKR
I might of missed it or don’t remember if I saw but is unknown munitions going to offer loaded ammo for the 6um?
Ryan replied as to the number of pieces of brass they would have to order to make that happen and it was very large so I believe he said not at this time Edit: He didn't comment as to a yes or no, just the quantity needed.
Peterson said they would consider a run of 6UM when they run 6.5 and 7 SAUM.

Sounds like we would need to order 50k pieces or more.

amassi

WKR
I might of missed it or don’t remember if I saw but is unknown munitions going to offer loaded ammo for the 6um?

I saw on here that they donated his last barrel to um for a fire forming barrel. Could be a plan to offer formed brass or loaded ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
Ryan replied as to the number of pieces of brass they would have to order to make that happen and it was very large so I believe he said not at this time Edit: He didn't comment as to a yes or no, just the quantity needed.
Well only 1 way to do this:
Put me down for 200 rounds. Would prefer the 22UM if possible.

@Formidilosus

Can you explain the design features of a bullet designed to tumble? Like the dtac?

Compared to say a Berger or eldm
He may have already covered that in this thread if you go back a few pages. There was a lot of discussion about the Dtac, the nose ring, and different depths of the cut and how that impacted terminal performance.

Try page 6 forward...

Lawnboi

WKR
He may have already covered that in this thread if you go back a few pages. There was a lot of discussion about the Dtac, the nose ring, and different depths of the cut and how that impacted terminal performance.

Try page 6 forward...
I kind of asked, had to back track.

Still curious what to look for in a bullet that tumbles compared to expands In the manner I think of traditionally

amassi

WKR
Fort Scott has a lead free bullet designed to tumble upon impact. I’d like to try them out for lead free California if they would better than the lrx

Spoonbill

WKR
Fort Scott has a lead free bullet designed to tumble upon impact. I’d like to try them out for lead free California if they would better than the lrx

I have some friends that have used Fort Scott TUM in a 243 with good results. 3 antelope and 3 or 4 deer all one shot kills.

amassi

WKR
I have some friends that have used Fort Scott TUM in a 243 with good results. 3 antelope and 3 or 4 deer all one shot kills.

Could you tell if the bullet actually tumbled ?