The 22 creedmoor thread

CJC73

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished up my 22CM. Atlas Tac action/Rem Varm ACE 7tw barrel @ 24"/Manners EH1 w/ mini chassis and skim bedded. Kampfeld did the smith work and bedding. Topped it with a Bushnell DMR II. Buddy of mine loaded me some 80.5s and now waiting to hit the range once life lets me.

266418.jpeg

Big_wals

WKR
Just finished up my 22CM. Atlas Tac action/Rem Varm ACE 7tw barrel @ 24"/Manners EH1 w/ mini chassis and skim bedded. Kampfeld did the smith work and bedding. Topped it with a Bushnell DMR II. Buddy of mine loaded me some 80.5s and now waiting to hit the range once life lets me.

View attachment 616165
Nice setup. That barrel looks sweet👍

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Was able to break in the 22 creedmoor this past week. Unsure of the 88eldm as of yet. Ended up shooting the deer twice, first shot was lung/liver, finish shot went through both shoulders and found in the hide. Maybe not as explosive a wound channel as the 77 tmk, but still not small. I don’t know if the deer just had the will to live that sometimes happens. Anyways largest body deer I have ever personally seen. Curious on the age of the deer as its teeth are near ground down to the gums. Did not open up the ribcage or abdomen to assess damage. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 88 again just based on the damage I saw to the shoulder, and may or may not work up a 77 tmk load for our gun deer season, really like how fast that bullet upsets.
IMG_0182.jpeg

Also shot a coyote at 270 yds.
71968164861__D189B562-B7F3-4703-AB7B-9291E98A295D.jpeg

Wyo_hntr

WKR
This is not meant to be negative or insulting.

I've read the same scenario time and time again, and it's always posed as a negative. "Had to shoot t more than once." Why do people get hung up on that?

Is it because of sizzle-reels made up of only one shot kills?

It baffles me.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR

I've read the same scenario time and time again, and it's always posed as a negative. "Had to shoot t more than once." Why do people get hung up on that?

It baffles me.
I’m not hung up on it. Iv shot enough deer to know that sometimes they just don’t want to die. I think this one was similar to that. My first shot wasn’t perfect so I wasn’t surprised.

amassi

WKR

It baffles me.

Bias
Not calling anyone out but I see it more from the eastern whitetail crowd that may be more used to single shot whitetail kills, possibly due to the terrain, weapon etc.

Conversely if you grew up shooting elk until they go down then follow up shots are just part of the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Was able to break in the 22 creedmoor this past week. Unsure of the 88eldm as of yet. Ended up shooting the deer twice, first shot was lung/liver, finish shot went through both shoulders and found in the hide. Maybe not as explosive a wound channel as the 77 tmk, but still not small. I don’t know if the deer just had the will to live that sometimes happens. Anyways largest body deer I have ever personally seen. Curious on the age of the deer as its teeth are near ground down to the gums. Did not open up the ribcage or abdomen to assess damage. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 88 again just based on the damage I saw to the shoulder, and may or may not work up a 77 tmk load for our gun deer season, really like how fast that bullet upsets.
View attachment 619825

Also shot a coyote at 270 yds.
View attachment 619824

Nice! I might have missed it but
What range was the deer at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Congratulations on a nice buck!

In regards to shooting an animal more than once…since moving to lower recoiling cartridges and lower magnification optics and learning to run a rifle ie ‘prep and reset’, the opportunities for multiple shots increases exponentially. When the opportunity to put additional rounds presents itself, I keep shooting.

CJC73

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got to the range yesterday. After sighting it in, here are the first two 5 shot groups. avg about 3340 fps.

PXL_20231029_214817315.jpgPXL_20231029_233224134.jpg

Drenalin

WK.R
I'm almost exclusively a whitetail hunter, and very much in the camp of shooting until the animal stops moving. The last buck I shot more than once was very big bodied (for our area). With a 150-grain Fusion out of a 30-06, I hit him perfectly with the first shot, he hit the deck then lurched as if he were going to get up, so I put two more in him. I would rather trim than track.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Shot the Texas Ammunition 80 ELDM. Gonna load up 75ELDM maybe some 77TMK. Can't decide on RL23 or 26. Probably try both bullets an powders unless one shoots to good to want to fool with the other.

Attachments

• 20231102_150632.jpg
    20231102_150632.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231102_145607.jpg
    20231102_145607.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 53
Congratulations on a nice buck!

In regards to shooting an animal more than once…since moving to lower recoiling cartridges and lower magnification optics and learning to run a rifle ie ‘prep and reset’, the opportunities for multiple shots increases exponentially. When the opportunity to put additional rounds presents itself, I keep shooting.
I always tell my hunters when I’m guiding or even when I’m just hunting with friends to “shoot them twice and if that doesn’t work shoot them again”. There is no reason to not keep shooting if you can. I don’t care if you have a 223 or a 375hh if they’re standing shoot.

kad11

WKR
Has anyone tried Ramshot Magnum in this cartridge? I like the looks of this powder for 22 Creedmoor and consistent metering.

I’m approaching this project in typical reloader fashion…. Got two Tikka 223 barrels coming this week, a couple thousand 88gr ELD-M bullets arriving tomorrow. I have a feeling a Tikka action or T3 in 22-250 will be the last acquisition 🤦‍♂️
Yeah something was off from the start. 26” barrel with numerous powders and both alpha and Peterson and could only get to 3100fps and will still get occasional heavy bolt lift there.

Even at “only” 3100fps I’m really liking the 22 creedmoor. I have a 22” rechambered t3 x barrel and a 24” .223 super varmint rechambered to spin on, hoping for better results.
Where are you getting your Tikka barrels rechambered to 22 cm? What bullets would you use for big game hunting with the 1:8 twist?

Where are you getting your Tikka barrels rechambered to 22 cm? What bullets would you use for big game hunting with the 1:8 twist?
I’m using 88gr eldm. Bart Baldwin of Baldwin gun works did the barrel work on my tikka barrels. I actually have another one ready to go, it’s a heavy varmint contour threaded. If you’re interested in getting one right away I’d potentially sell it.

kad11

WKR
I’m using 88gr eldm. Bart Baldwin of Baldwin gun works did the barrel work on my tikka barrels. I actually have another one ready to go, it’s a heavy varmint contour threaded. If you’re interested in getting one right away I’d potentially sell it.
That's good to know the 88s work in the 1:8. I'm actually looking for a lightweight, shorty 22 or 6 cm barrel to spin onto a T3 30-06. Thanks for the offer though!

Last edited:

kad11

WKR
I have a spare Tikka 223 SS take off that could be rechambered, but it doesn't look like I'd save much over buying a prefit from pbb or similar.