The 10 most unreliable firearms

Beendare

WKR
Its so critical to find good sources of info- there are some real duzies out there.

Honest Outlaw is one of those good sources....and here is his list of the 10 most unreliable firearms.....and surprisingly one is a revolver.

I had heard some rumblings about the Sig 320 being unreliable from an LEO armorer.... controversial but it made his list

Good to know....I knew that one was going to be controversial.

The LEO's consensus on the pistol forum is its not the best.
I don't put a lot of stock into what most LEO's say about guns (a lot of them have shot themselves with it). I shoot about 4x more than most of even the swat guys I know.

If I had to nitpick the p320 I'd say it's not very accurate for what it is, and the stock recoil spring wore out in about 1000 rounds.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
He has video of him shooting these and some of those are malfunction drill training machines they screw up so much. Hopefully it saves some guys here some $$$

Re LEO’s…. not to knock them but I would agree. Many are not that informed or really good shooters. They look at pistols as a tool that they use at work.

A guy I trust that does some carpentry work for me on the side is an ex- Green Beret, 1000y rifle guy and is an armorer. He says the Sig 320 is only OK But some need work to get them malfunction free.
He was the guy that told me to shoot my G20 with Hardcast ammo stock- and he was right.

My old WGerman Sig 226 is an example of flawless precision. Its seems the mass mkt 320 is less so.

Sig has a reputation of letting it's early adapters "beta test" for them. They have some great models (p365 for example) but like it or not, the 320 has had a rocky reception - I say that as someone that has a p320 x-ten. I like the pistol, but it's just not as reliable as my other 10mms.

Edit to add - I don't think it's a company or product wide issue... I think some models are great... the 226, 365 etc.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Early versions of the 320 had some safety issues. Those have been resolved. Having shot several thousand rounds through a 320 and seen tens of thousands of rounds shot through the recent version, I have witnessed very few non-shooter or non-ammo induced malfunctions. I am an armorer for both the Sig 320 platform and for Glocks. No particular loyalty to either as I trust both.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Sig has a reputation of letting it's early adapters "beta test" for them. They have some great models (p365 for example) but like it or not, the 320 has had a rocky reception - I say that as someone that has a p320 x-ten. I like the pistol, but it's just not as reliable as my other 10mms.

Edit to add - I don't think it's a company or product wide issue... I think some models are great... the 226, 365 etc.
365 had a plethora of issues when it was released and took a few years to iron out but agree, it’s solid now. I also had two 226s that had serious issues back in the day. I like sig, still own a few, but had more issues with them than any other brand I’ve owned.

WKR
I like his videos. I have a friend that bought a Prodigy when they came out. Had some issues, sent it in to Springfield. Got it back and it runs flawlessly. Its buttery soft to shoot, I would love to have one. But they did come out with some issues.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wow! That's a train wreck of a list.

I have shot a couple Hipoints that ran fine, and bought a 9mm Kahr that did not. Sucks too because I really wanted it to work out.

Once I shot 500 rounds of problem free ammo through a G19 in one range session my search was over.

ETA: My first carry pistol was a Ruger Sp101 in .357 and I kept it full of full power loads. Holy cats that thing roared! 😳

Rob5589

WKR
That list isn't exactly shocking. Most unreliable pistol I owned was a Kimber 1911. Accurate as all get out, when it functioned correctly.

83cj-7

WKR
Having worked at a firearms training school for more than 10 years I can say that the most unreliable pistols are usually high end 1911s of various makes and calibers. So many times the $2k + custom 1911 that some guy is so proud of wont go 20 rounds without a malfunction. Most of those people end up with a G19 in their hands to finish out the day/weekend. That said, an old or new sloppy 1911 in 45 using 7 round mags will run darn near perfect for thousands of rounds.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Having worked at a firearms training school for more than 10 years I can say that the most unreliable pistols are usually high end 1911s of various makes and calibers. So many times the $2k + custom 1911 that some guy is so proud of wont go 20 rounds without a malfunction. Most of those people end up with a G19 in their hands to finish out the day/weekend. That said, an old or new sloppy 1911 in 45 using 7 round mags will run darn near perfect for thousands of rounds.
I think the majority of that comes down to people buying them and showing up, not realizing there is a break in period, the mags that come with them are crap, and most won’t run crappy ammo. So they are just finicky 😂
Kimber did have an awful few years where they really ramped up production, QC went out the door and seemed like 50% were trash.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
83cj,
Yeah good comment…

I am not the most qualified to comment on these different platforms, just a guy that likes to shoot them. My personal worst was a brand new (read tight as hell) Springer TRP. It took 500 rds to wear that pistol in…no work done, I just needed to shoot it, now its practically perfect.

I had a blowback American Arms .22 that was a malfunction drill machine.

I have seen some different Glocks that had been modified that didn’t function perfect…including 3 G20’s where guys changed barrels, springs, GR….when my stock G20 is flawless with everything inc 700rds of Double Tap 200g hard cast.

Its funny how some think they are smarter than Glock.