Terminal ascent or trophy copper

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m trying to pick between these to rounds for a 7mm rem mag for all around hunting.

Federal terminal ascent 155
Or
Federal trophy copper 150

Which would you pick and why?

I’m leaning towards to trophy copper because I can zero at 26.5 yards for a 300 yard zero. That’s if the federal app is correct.
42be7aa16a97ba56d3545012a7019f98.jpg

Compared to the terminal ascent
a5ffb0d014f8982d35846a726a442938.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jn78

WKR
Aren’t they both basically zeroed at 26.5 and 300? I don’t see how the tenth of an inch on the terminal ascent matters at all. What does your gun shoot the best?

I have shot monos (TTSX) and now TA. 15-16 animals harvested with monos. 4 thus far with TA. TA in my experience quickly anchors game. 3/4 DRT, dropped in their tracks. I had one run 50 yards but it was a perfect meat saver shot with no meat loss. I have more confidence in TA being bonded and not as velocity sensitive for good opening compared to monos. With monos I did well keeping impact velocity > 2400 fps most of the time yet always > 2200 fps. I never lost an animal with monos but they most always ran, more likely due to meat saver shots not the bullet itself. I did have a few DRT with high shoulder shots. With either you will be fine. Understand the bullet, proper velocity for good opening, and shot placement. If you do this either will work. If one shoots better in your rifle I would pick that one. FWIW

OP
T

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
I agree that I would need to double check it at 300. I figured I could sight in at 36.5 then double check at 100 until I can find a 300 yard range. I figured the specs would be off some but it’s a good starting point. I haven’t shot either one yet and with prices as high as they are, I was looking for a starting point. 100 plus for two boxes just to see which might shoot better is a lot. I might end up having to do that in the end. But if the more recommended one shots good that saves money for more of that round.

What’s the biggest game you’ve shot with the TA?

doepatrol

FNG
If you're trying to zero at 26yds and be ethical out to anything near 300yds or past you need to reconsider. Go out and shoot each and see what is best from your rifle. Do a proper 100/200 yard zero and both will kill clean with good placement within the velocity range they are designed to function. The TA would be my choice, best of both worlds and higher BC.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen the TA recommended quite a bit. No personal experience with it, but it sounds like a solid option. Buy the ammo and see which one your rifles prefers. As others stated, you’re going to need to verify the ballistics that are claimed.

OP
T

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
I understand to double check zero to the main yardage. In the Marines we zeroed at short yardage for a longer zero. So I feel that would be a good starting point to get it close until I can figure out a place that I can shoot out that far.

Marshfly

WKR
It sounds like money is tight like it is for a lot of guys. My suggestion is to trade that rifle for something that uses significantly less expensive ammo. Lots of great hunting rounds that kill to 400+ yards for $35/box or less.

Also I would totally skip shooting at 26 yards except for one round to verify bore sight. It’s a total waste of ammo. What the military did with known rifles and ammo and an unlimited budget is meaningless when it comes to ethically and efficiently killing an animal.

I am primarily a mule deer hunter. 4/4 on mule deer with TA.
3.5" high at 100 yards and skip the 26 yard zero. Save some ammo. Verify at 300 yard.

OP
T

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
Never said money was tight. I prefer to keep my rifle. Plus I have others. So I’m good on that. But having a half box if not more of ammo I’m not going to use seems like a waste.

I understand ethic and the importance of taking game as cleaning as possible. That’s not even close to that type of information I needed. The skills I learned have carried over to help with making clean ethical decisions when it comes to taking game. I won’t just Willy nilly some bs shot.

Thank you mule, I appreciate the helpful response.

Marshfly

WKR
Never said money was tight. I prefer to keep my rifle. Plus I have others. So I’m good on that. But having a half box if not more of ammo I’m not going to use seems like a waste.

I understand ethic and the importance of taking game as cleaning as possible. That’s not even close to that type of information I needed. The skills I learned have carried over to help with making clean ethical decisions when it comes to taking game. I won’t just Willy nilly some bs shot.

Thank you mule, I appreciate the helpful response.

No one can tell you which will shoot better in your rifle. It takes 10 rounds at 100 yards to find that out. Just the way it is. Spend the money. Shoot the 20 bullets and there’s your answer. Good luck.

My sons shoot Bergara Wilderness Ridge 7 mm mags. Both shoot the TA < 1 MOA. They have had one shot kills on bull elk at 600 and 660 yards.Very impressed. They shot cow elk at 300 yards with Berger VLDs and results were ok, not DRTs and a bit of tracking.

My Tikka 300 win mag loves the TA'a they will be my go to for elk and mule deer, close runner up is the ELD-X, have had good luck with them.

WCB

WKR
You have to buy each and see what shoots best out of your firearm plain and simple. Not sure why guys try to skip basic steps to get the best performance out of their setup.

If all is equal or very very close between the two I would choose the TA. You also have to shoot your rifle to verify the drops as your gun will probably shoot differently that advertised velocities. Again, something I don't get are all the zero at extremely odd range and trust being almost 4.5" high @ 150-200yds that half of the kill zone of a deer. Ihad multiple clients shoot over animals for this very reason even more so at steep angles.

You may or may not be aware. TA have been very hard to find. Easing up though. If you choose TA and your rifle likes them grab 5 boxes or whatever you feel you need to cover you for a few years. Federal hasn't, historically, done a great job with consistent supply of their TA line.

I just picked up component bullets for reloading, in TA, first time I have seen them available in 3 years, this is with consistently checking the Federal website, midwayusa, etc. Federal told me 1-2 years ago they weren't going to sell TA components for reloading anytime soon if ever again. So, I bought factory TA for my 30-06 and 6.5 PRC to cover me. Now I will need to sell those to get the money back. LOL

Happily, I can now load my 300 WM with 175 grain TA which are not a factory offering. Those will hit hard. I tried the factory TA 200 grain but those kick like a pissed off mule. Oddly, I was getting 2950 fps with factory 200 grain TA. Stated velocity, per website, is 2810 fps. Maybe I picked up a bad batch, IDK, but I don't feel comfortable shooting those. This rifle is tried and true. Never had a factory offering throw oddly HOT velocities like that.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
There’s always the first step of shooting them both, I’ve had pretty good luck with monos being accurate (most of my experience is with a tsx or ttsx) but I have a 308 and 30-06 that absolutely would not shoot the terminal ascents. My 270 shoots them right at an inch-1.25 and I have yet to hit a deer and it leave my sight with them.