Tell us what you think about E-bikes for hunting??

WRM

WKR
Like there’s going to be an army of people paying thousands of dollars for a silent electric bike to get into the back country

You can convert most any bike into an ebike now. The equipment is readily available from many sources, including ebay. The local bike shop will convert my fat tire bike and install a 750 watt motor for around $1000.00--parts and labor. So, you don't have to pay "thousands" for an ebike today.

In Oregon its 1000w with no throttle (pedal assist) , in Idaho is 500w with no throttle (pedal assist). On federal forest lands is 750w with no throttle (pedal assist) unless otherwise noted.

Pedal assist as a reference/limiter is archaic and from the time of the "first" ebikes. That was the lure in our locale that prompted allowing them in the first place (and why we now have a problem where I hunt). They were only supposed to "help out" on difficult terrain (thus, pedal assist), not just let you cruise with no effort. The current crop of "throttle-less" models are near continuous on anyway, as you barely have to pedal to make the motor kick in. Then the owners mod the controls to have a quick detach throttle they can "pocket" if Johnny law shows up.

I'm anti opening up regulations such that E-bikes are legal anywhere a dirt bike isn't. Beyond that I have no negative feelings towards them. I'd rather people quietly get around on an ebike than a loud ass dirt bike.

It was hard to answer the survey questions accurately because the answers are polar opposite when depending on if it's for midwest whitetail hunts or western big game hunts.

I can see how they would be nice to reduce walking time to and from whitetail stand locations, reduce scent signature along that path, and minimize the sweating/overheating on the way in. I still don't currently have hunting scenarios that would justify the costs at the moment because it seems the entry level models are unreliable junk from the reading I have done.

The people here proclaiming that E-bikes should be allowed wherever horses are don't understand the complex history and relationship of horses on our public landscape. To federal land managers and agencies, horses are considered a primitive form of "foot" travel and a dwindling aspect of Western heritage. This is why at times they can appear as a user group that is catered to by the Forest Service and BLM.

A fat guy on an e-bike has no historical context or western culture meaningfulness. Hate horses if you want, but E-bikes are a not a good comparison when discussing wilderness access.

And buying and owning a horse or even renting a horse is a whole different ball of wax than buying or renting an E-bike. There is very little barrier to entry comparatively speaking for an E-Bike so there is potential for much more use and further degradation of wild places.

The people here proclaiming that E-bikes should be allowed wherever horses are don't understand the complex history and relationship of horses on our public landscape. To federal land managers and agencies, horses are considered a primitive form of "foot" travel and a dwindling aspect of Western heritage. This is why at times they can appear as a user group that is catered to by the Forest Service and BLM.

A fat guy on an e-bike has no historical context or western culture meaningfulness. Hate horses if you want, but E-bikes are a not a good comparison when discussing wilderness access.
A fat guy on an e-bike is not going to be able to manage many of the foot trails in Colorado. Many are incredibly technical and require quite a bit of skill to negotiate. When you start adding guns, gear and backpacks, you end up pretty top heavy. Then when you start factoring in game and game carts, there are many foot trails that e-bike won't work on.

A fat guy on an e-bike is not going to be able to manage many of the foot trails in Colorado. Many are incredibly technical and require quite a bit of skill to negotiate. When you start adding guns, gear and backpacks, you end up pretty top heavy. Then when you start factoring in game and game carts, there are many foot trails that e-bike won't work on.
Good point and I’m glad it’s so. That doesn’t mean that people should be allowed to try. Let’s keep the motors where they belong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9.1

CoStick

WKR
I disagree, I watched them handle pretty technical rock gardens with ease on the front range, obviously they weren’t supposed to be on the trails, but I was amazed how easily they got up them.

This may be true in some areas but I've already known of an instance where a guy had one 3 miles inside of a Wilderness area boundary last September. We figured out the guy was part of a large group with a big camp at the trailhead. There were several other e-bikes outside of their huge wall tent so I guarantee they were all using them inside of the Wilderness. The particular trail they were using was pretty mellow so easy to navigate with e-bikes, especially since they were using theirs to day hunt from a big base camp so they didn't need camping gear. I reported them but unfortunately this is what I expect to see more of as they gain popularity.

This may be true in some areas but I've already known of an instance where a guy had one 3 miles inside of a Wilderness area boundary last September. We figured out the guy was part of a large group with a big camp at the trailhead. There were several other e-bikes outside of their huge wall tent so I guarantee they were all using them inside of the Wilderness. The particular trail they were using was pretty mellow so easy to navigate with e-bikes, especially since they were using theirs to day hunt from a big base camp so they didn't need camping gear. I reported them but unfortunately this is what I expect to see more of as they gain popularity.
Good on you for reporting them. I hope they were fined and will think twice.

I disagree, I watched them handle pretty technical rock gardens with ease on the front range, obviously they weren’t supposed to be on the trails, but I was amazed how easily they got up them.

I am a mountain biker who rides out in Colorado almost every summer. I have get offs fairly regularly on some of the less technical trails. I can't imagine riding even moderately technical trails loaded down. Add a game cart and it's hell no. Add before sunrise and after sunset and a whole boat load of nope.

CoStick

WKR
This is going to be difficult with no load. Add a hunting load. Then add a game cart. Then add darkness. E-bikes aren't a panacea for hunters on technical trails.

The torque and power, they just shoot up them. I mtn bike most of the year in CO. I don’t think they could do it with a trailer.

Wildgame

FNG
The idea of getting on an e-bike when getting out of the woods specially empty-handed sounds really appealing.
The idea of an e-bike making it easier for a bunch of people to reach spots they would never hike into does not.
E-bikes, where cars are allowed, is fine with me...save gas, keep the area clean and quiet.

Fowl Play

WKR
I'm sure it's not a popular opinion on this forum. But I am 100% for E-bikes when regulated correctly on public land. I do think it's important to have true walk-in areas, but believe many states are coming down on them harder than they should. For instance, limiting them on trail systems that horses are allowed on is ridiculous in my opinion. When you get old and grey you will wish you did not limit them so much.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure it's not a popular opinion on this forum. But I am 100% for E-bikes when regulated correctly on public land. I do think it's important to have true walk-in areas, but believe many states are coming down on them harder than they should. For instance, limiting them on trail systems that horses are allowed on is ridiculous in my opinion. When you get old and grey you will wish you did not limit them more.
All opinions welcome. Thanks

CorbLand

WKR
I'm sure it's not a popular opinion on this forum. But I am 100% for E-bikes when regulated correctly on public land. I do think it's important to have true walk-in areas, but believe many states are coming down on them harder than they should. For instance, limiting them on trail systems that horses are allowed on is ridiculous in my opinion. When you get old and grey you will wish you did not limit them so much.
Its really pretty simple. We have areas that are open to motorized access and areas that arent. They have a motor, thus should be allowed in areas that allow for motorized access and not in areas that dont.

As for getting old. I plan to enjoy life while I am young and accept that I will not be able to do things I once was when I am older. The last thing I will ever wish is to take the opportunities I had as a young person from the generations after me because I am selfish.