Talk to me about E-Bikes

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I’m primarily a whitetail hunter in the Midwest. I landed some new hunting ground but it’s a ways from access to the timber through a mostly wide open field. So if crops are in that’s another problem.

An ebike seems slick to get into and out of stands. Or doing other various things that I don’t need to take my SxS for. Would preferably like to stay under 2k. Any good insights / experiences?

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I purchased an M2S All Terrain HD, and I absolutely loved it. made scouting some areas easy, Haul 2 deer out with it the first year, but It now collects dust in my gun room as i dont use it as much as i thought i would . I still like walking and sneaking around on foot a lot more.

stump06

WKR
My uncle, brother and a buddy has juiced bikes. They have sales frequently and they all like their bikes. I built my own out of an old huffy and soon after bought a used mongoose fat tire that I am going to build out sometime. They are definitely nice and make getting in and out easy.

Rich M

WKR
They make getting around pretty easy - will bang you senseless if you go thru areas hogs have torn up.

Buddy has a 26-inch that i borrow, wanting to get a "waterproof" 20-inch for myself. They have restrictive laws in some public areas - check those rules before you buy.

I bought one of the Recon bikes that they did with GMC, its all wheel drive hydraulic disk brakes and the wheel hubs hold to motors. its pretty nice and have the wide tires its not under $2k but seems to be a bargain for the options and battery lasts well. wish it had little more suspension

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
How are these bikes in bumpy terrain? Essentially following a field edge for about a mile to a stand, and back.

They’re great for getting in and out quick and quiet. The fat tires suck to pedal without the assist in grass, mud, sand, so don’t let it run out of juice. I did a hunt recently with a guy on a regular mountain bike and the trails were pretty sandy. I had a much better experience than he did riding 5-10 miles a day. I picked up a Himiway a couple years ago. The bike is great but the company sucks so I would not recommend them at all.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve got 2 Rambo savage bikes. I used them quite a bit at first. I find myself exhausted after a 1300’ elevation gain in 1.5 miles The battery only does so much the rest is still leg power. . I’m far less gassed if I walk it. Takes a bit longer. On more level terrain they are awesome. Slight hills ain’t too bad. We have nearly hit deer on them. I do feel like I miss allot on mine. It’s really great for a straight up camera check or direct to stand in a place with more attractive terrain.

cnelk

WKR
A few years ago I bought a Rad Rover 750w ebike. Nothing special, basic model. Rear hub. Even built a trailer for it.

I rode it a fair amount. It’s quiet and quick transportation if you’re on a trail. Deer will stand and watch you ride by.

Top speed is about 30mph unless you ‘trick’ the computer with a hack.

Battery life is decent.

I’ve read that a mid-hub is the way to go.
Might want to install tire liners if you have goat heads or thorns in your area.

I do know for a fact that the first time you ride one you will have a smile on your face.

It could be a great addition to a WT hunter.

I ended up giving mine to my son as he uses it a lot more than I did

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 18

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a decent bike (500) with 2.5 " tires and put a 1000w front wheel motor on it, total cost was 1100. I've had it 3 years. I didn't want 4" tires as my biggest use is logging roads in PA big woods. It works great for the intended use but as was said before, big hills are a no go. I also used it to hunt a spot 70 yards from a road with an awesome primary scrape. I park about a half mile from the place I enter the woods and stash the bike. Anyone who hunts public knows that people take notice of where others park and get nosy. E bike is great for this as instead of a 10 minute walk down a road where you could be seen, it takes maybe 2 minutes.

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Welp, after some research ordered a “Jasion Hunter X.” Seems like most are Chinese made. It seemed to have decent features and supposedly a good sale right now. Figured its off season so may be the best time to buy.

Hunting in Iowa, I have found that an e-Bike is a game changer. I have a mid-range bike (a $3,500 Rambo). I can tell you after having it I do see why people spring for the pricier ones. These things can beat you senseless on uneven terrain! Overall, I can highly recommend one.

I borrowed an e-bike for the first time last fall while deer hunting and now I'm hooked. I live in NE GA and the areas I hunt don't have much space to pull a truck off the road and hike in, but with an e-bike, I can find a spot to park and take the bike the rest of the way on the roads without having to worry about finding a spot to pull to the side that doesn't block access. I would just make sure you look at mid-drive bikes if you live on hilly terrain or go through a lot of loose sandy areas. Also, Quiet Kat has some new "innovations" coming out this year that are supposed to be interesting.

rclouse79

WKR
I have been working on my own. I got the bike for $700 used and ordered the 1000w bbshd mid drive, battery and all the parts for just over $1000. I was able to put it all together without any trouble. My friend gave me a good deal on a shock for it and I am going to have a bike shop put it on and tune it for me. I also reprogrammed the controller with “Karl’s Special Sauce.” I am excited to ride it during turkey and bear season this spring.
IMG_1285.jpeg

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. This new property has the longest walk I've had to deal with. I'll be interested to see how it works. I may even leave it on the property, covered and locked, when in season.

mattot

FNG
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. This new property has the longest walk I've had to deal with. I'll be interested to see how it works. I may even leave it on the property, covered and locked, when in season.
Hope it works well for you. I'm happy with the 2WD e-bike we have to get us quietly up our steep hills.