2019 CO diy otc archery elk thoughts

OP
shoeshineman
good stuff. with regards to e scouting i felt it's always good to have a plan b c d e f and g. whether its weather pressure or terrian, things will never seem like they are on google earth so it's super helpful to have backup plans that you can easily adapt to.

Also using the Add path feature with elevation profile to help plan hikes into base camp and glassing points is very helpful for understanding terrain that can be deceptive on GE. What i do is i've mapped out a couple triaing hikes with the add path feature that I will do by my house in prep for hunts. that way i have a baseline that I can compare to when scouting areas on the mainland that i might hunt. For instance there is a really tough fire road that i use for baseline that gains about 1k elevation in 1 mile at a max 39% grade. I know that that mile and grade is very tough for me just with a light daypack and no weight. if im e-scouting and looking at possible routes to access areas, ill use the add path and can check the elevation and distance traveled and if the grade is in the 30s I probably won't want to to use that path if it's any substantial distance. Terrain can look a lot easier on google earth just a good way that I've found to compare terrain

That is great feedback! I will definitely try this! Thanks!

Bcorn

FNG
Nice write up. This year will be my fourth year hunting Colorado archery. Every year I seem to get a little closer to killing one. This year had one at 13 yds at full draw just wouldn't come out of the thick stuff for a shot. Last year I tried hunting with camp on my back and found it very difficult it definitely took a toll on my body as the week went on. This year I'm going back to having a base camp. Point is every year a guy learns more and hopefully is getting closer to being successful.