Tajikistan in November: Am I making a bad call.

Currently plan to probably bring one of these two boots, Zamberlan Baltoro or Hanwag Ferrata. I find them to light and stiff enough to be a good mountain climbing boot, the issue comes in is that I’m told the Pamirs in November are cold like I’ve never experienced, -20 to 30 F and the outfitter strongly suggests insulated boots. I picked up some artic shields and am looking at winter insoles, to try and stick to one the mentioned boots. Is this a terrible call? Not sure yet if we’re horse backing it, in trucks, or hiking and glassing. I know others have gone non insulated and I’m leaning that way because I don’t like big heavy boots when climbing. Alright guys, school me

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had Zamberlan winter insoles in my Ferratas (Hanwag insoles are a joke) in the snow here in the Sierra and after a few hours (15-25 deg), I could feel the cold start to sneak in. I have really bad circulation, though.

They’re awesome light given how stuff they are and the tube midsole is legit. The Baltoro is decent, but the Ferrata is a better boot imo.

I’d look at Mammut’s mountaineering line or those Hanwag Frictions if you want insulated but not heavy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I saw your thread about boots and it got me thinking. -20 is really cold, it gets that cold (and colder) every winter where I live. If I were you, and when I get to go, I’d get the warmest mountain boots I could. Even spring spring bear hunting here when it’s in the 20s, I wear an insulated mountain boot and my feet aren’t really warm.

I’m not sure exactly which boot I’d take but I’d definetly want to stack those odds in my favor. I see zamberlan makes a boot that is rated for -20, I think lowa makes one too.

OP
Sierra Hunter
That’s solid input, I’m curious how they run it out there if you drive in trucks and the just hike or if we get to glass and spot and stalk. Hopefully it’s the latter, if so then those boots will be needed.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s solid input, I’m curious how they run it out there if you drive in trucks and the just hike or if we get to glass and spot and stalk. Hopefully it’s the latter, if so then those boots will be needed.
I was thinking you might be on horseback and sitting like that might compromise circulation to the feet and legs, they mixed with sub zero temps could be an issue.

Mojave

WKR
A friend did this hunt in 2018. Coldest he has ever been -20 with a windchill in the -60 range. He brought 3season style Scarpas and wished he had Koflachs.

Mojave

WKR
They brought an 77 year old snd he hot massively frost bit.

TomJoad

WKR
My bad. You need to pivot to a full mountaineering double boot imo. Scarpa or la sportiva both make good alternates. Forget hunting boots, at those temps you need a rigid double boot.

OP
Sierra Hunter
A friend did this hunt in 2018. Coldest he has ever been -20 with a windchill in the -60 range. He brought 3season style Scarpas and wished he had Koflachs.
That’s brutal! Wind is a killer. Great context

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t think koflach even had a USA distributor anymore. At least they didn’t when I emailed them ~ 1.5 years ago.

Suera

FNG
La Sportiva brand, you need a expedition boot. In these hunts you spend lot of time scouting and many times in the snow...

I’d bring Asolo mountaineer boots

And crampons. gaiters and good goretex bibs. Hestra makes good gloves. Dress for cold alpine snow conditions. Hunting gear might be too light, look at ski backcountry gear.

I’d you get asolos break them in good before you go. 100
Miles minimum pre trip.
they are stiff but you can climb in them and they work decent in snow.

For those temps, I would use a plastic boot with a liner. It’ll be super stiff, but after some wearing to get used to them you’ll find they are worth it. I have horrible circulation to my feet and these are the only type of boots that keep my feet warm. I’ve got some long days with big miles on wearing them, been in and out of vehicles, but never on horseback.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Sounds like it’s gonna be in and out of vehicles and not horseback. That should be helpful in keeping the feet out of the elements a ton.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Less than a month out and the thought it I’m going to take the Hanwags with the winter soles paired with insulated gaiters and these bad boys I picked up for a song. Big ol heavy plastics, ASOLOS, I’m impressed at how over built these are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 23

Wrench

WKR
When I worked in prudhoe where those are average temps, the thing that saved me was down goretex pants. I survived in 600gram vasque boots because my legs were never cold.

If your legs get cold you don't start out well.

shwacker

FNG
True double boots are critical if you are only able to "dry" the inners in your sleeping bag. If you have a truly heated tent or full on indoors, there are some nice options in singles that can work, depending how much sitting around you will be doing vs moving. It would be an integrated gaiter style from scarpa or la sportiva etc. IMO synthetic is the only way as leather will be difficult to dry overnight.

Those plastic asolos will actually be awesome though probably a bit heavy. Be sure not to lace the outer too tight or you risk shin bang and ruining your trip.