Boot Selection Help Needed: Flexibility + Cushioning, not a mountain hunter (I Have Tried Many and Failed)

macabra11

FNG
Meindl says to order a half size down froM what you normally wear. I measured my foot and in pretty much everything I wear, I’m between 13-14 and sometimes a EE width. According to Meindl USA’s website I should be getting their size 12.5. I wasn’t sure about width and had doubts about this sizing, so I called them up. They said the Vakuum hunter would be good for me in a 12.5 Wide, and the Comfort Fit Extreme would be best in a 13 reg width. The reasoning was the shape of of the lasts are different in each model. The Vakuum Hunter is a flat last and the Comfort Fit Extreme is more sculpted. Unfortunately they are out of stock of both in those sizes right now.

I went to Cabelas today to look at other boots and tried on some other brands. Nothing worked, but they had a pair of Meindl Army Boots in 13, and they were a little too big. Also tried them in 11.5 (what they had in stock), and was surprised to actually get my foot in them! They were too small but made me think the 12.5 Wide would actually work. Weird sizing for sure.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, Meindel boots from their website are the most flexible of the many boots I've been trying....actually too flexible for me....I like a stiffer soled boot.

Hondo

WKR
Since you like Danner's, take a look at the Danner East Ridge uninsulated boots. They are 8" and lightweight for a stitch-down sole boot (recraftable) and are one of the made in USA Danner's.

I mostly wear German boots for hunting & hiking but I've got Danner USA made Rainforest, Bull Run and Quarry boots I use for ranch work that just don't want to quit. I've had a pair East Ridge boots for about 3 years that mostly rides under my camper shell as a back up boots but they are very comfortable. They don't have a rubber rand but they do have a roomy toe box are more flexible than my Hanwag boots, although stiffer is my preference. They remind me a lot of the Cabela's Meindl Denali boots in terms of comfort & support. Taller and more ankle support than the Perfekt Hikers and less stiff than the Alaska or similar boots.

I think they are overpriced at $250 retail but I tend to think that about most retail boot prices. I paid less then half that for a NIB pair.

Hi,

I work for Schnee’s! All the boots discussed in this thread are great and most likely will not disappoint. If you have any specific questions on any being brought up feel free to call our store in Bozeman and ask for myself Tanner. I am most familiar with our brand but have sold most of the other brands and can speak to technologies, fits, quality. Etc... the store number is 406-587-0981. My apologies to no response from the team.

-Tanner