Tacoma Upgrades

WBT

FNG
I'm picking up a 3rd gen Tacoma in a couple of weeks and I'd like to upgrade the suspension, wheels, tires, etc. Can anyone recommend a good shop for doing this sort of work in the Missoula area? I'm willing to travel further for the right place. I've searched through old threads and cannot find anything relevant. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Tacoma world is awesome. Lots of members on here are also over there. Love my pro with the stock pro suspension on 285s. Hands down the best mod I’ve done is getting the truck tuned. Really wakes it up and fixes and gear hunting and shifting isssues.

Enjoy the 3rd gen, I have zero complaints with my 3rd gen and don’t miss my 2nd gen at all honesty.

Attachments

• 3AF43597-112E-4E48-A88E-98C8815AE0A6.jpeg
    3AF43597-112E-4E48-A88E-98C8815AE0A6.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 106

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tacoma world is awesome. Lots of members on here are also over there. Love my pro with the stock pro suspension on 285s. Hands down the best mod I’ve done is getting the truck tuned. Really wakes it up and fixes and gear hunting and shifting isssues.

Enjoy the 3rd gen, I have zero complaints with my 3rd gen and don’t miss my 2nd gen at all honesty.

Heretic!!! We have a heretic in the midst. Everybody knows 2nd Gen is best Gen!! ;):p

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Blue Ribbon Auto in Missoula is expensive but they do great work. I had them address some rust and apply a bedliner to my tundra and was very happy with how it turned out. If I was going to use someone locally, that’s where I would go. I suspect the cost to travel somewhere further away would offset their higher pricing.

I think there is also an overlanding club based out of the Bitterroot I believe, may be worth getting in touch with them, as they would likely have more experience.

The best Tacoma mod is to trade it in for a 2nd gen Tundra.... :p

Suspension is pretty easy to work on, I had Old Man Emu upgraded heavy load leafs/ greasable shackles and adjustable coilovers with SPC Upper control arms on my 1 gen Taco, that was a great set up. Loved that truck, still mad at the lady who ran a light and T-boned me...

Like RTK said, get it tuned, that's really the weakest point on those trucks, the stock shift patterns are goofy.

Here's what I would recommend:
1. Shackle hanger truss. Stock shackle hangers are flimsy and make the rear end chatter all over. Full aftermarket hangers are an option too.
2. Rear shock location. Easily pull 12"-14" of rear travel. Doesn't cost much.
3. Good rear leaf pack. OME, Icon, Deaver, etc
4. Front coilovers and maybe UCA. Set them to 2" of lift

I'd consider that list to be a budget minimum.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
For those that have run Tacoma's a while, how are you dealing with the Tacoma rear spring sag? I recently picked up a used 3rd generation Tacoma and find the suspension pretty stiff, yet it can't handle much weight. I don't load it tight but prob run about 300-400lbs of stuff in the bed once fall rolls in.

Seems like every Tacoma I see has the a$$ dragging even when empty.

amassi

WKR
Anybody buy these and just use in factory form? Maybe just a set of all terrains

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
Anybody buy these and just use in factory form? Maybe just a set of all terrains

That's my plan with mine, I pretty much have kept all my trucks fairly stock with the exception of adding decent tires, maybe up one size. Seemed like the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to be dumping money in truck parts. Those Tacoma's get loaded up & beat on as the vehicle of choice for rebel forces around the globe so I expect a guy trying to put a little meat in his freezer should be able to manage w/o too many aftermarket modifications

amassi

WKR
That's my plan with mine, I pretty much have kept all my trucks fairly stock with the exception of adding decent tires, maybe up one size. Seemed like the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to be dumping money in truck parts. Those Tacoma's get loaded up & beat on as the vehicle of choice for rebel forces around the globe so I expect a guy trying to put a little meat in his freezer should be able to manage w/o too many aftermarket modifications
Same here I've had 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton ford's since 2000 and have pretty much depended on a leveling kit and tires and that's it. I'm looking at sizing down to a ranger, Colorado or Tacoma for a hunting truck. The Tacoma has a price premium I'd like to not dump additional funds

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
The best spot to upgrade your Tacoma would be the dealership.

Trade that in for a TUNDRA... (Cries in gas money).

Jokes aside congrats on the Tacoma, a great vehicle.

Just sold a tundra and went back to the Tacoma. I’m a tacoma guy at heart I guess

I just got a used 3rd Gen one. Been planning on just keeping it pretty stock. I hear good things about those tuners thou. Might do a tune.

My last Tacoma I had I put an Old man emu 3 inch lift on.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider

Mines all stock beside a set of 33s and the tune. Tune isn’t needed it just added low end grunt when towing and fixes any gear shifting issues on the automatics.

My 2nd gen I leveled and ran 265s. Ran it for 150k and never had one issue in stock form. They are very capable trucks in stock form.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
qxrWHSg.jpg
I also found my Tacoma to be very (very) capable off road with just a few minor upgrades.

I put on slightly oversized BFG KO2’s on and a few under carriage skid plates on and was pretty good to go.

Also added a soft top (can fold it down and have full access to the bed when needed.