Tacoma Upgrades

DuckDogDr

WKR
I have a 3rd Gen.
I upgraded the suspension with an Eibach kit about 30k miles ago and have been happy - about 2.5” lift and can fit 285/75/16 with no rub

Added Cat skins aftermarket heated leather seats and they have held up well..

Biggest complaint I’ve had. I’ve tried to add aftermarket reverse lights .. went with rigid industries and had the DEALER wire them in.. now I can’t keep any reverse lights running .. keeps blowing fuses
Dealer claims it’s my fault for the shotty wiring Job…I politely explained it was his crew that did it….his technician conveniently lost the paper work
FYI I would wire them independently of the reverse pigtail and just flip a switch when you need. Factory harness can’t handle the load .
Dealer has lost a customer over it but I’d buy another Tacoma.

I would consider the bed safe boxes that fit in the plastic cubbies vs cheesy plastic doors

Also if you have an iPhone .. I hope you’re not too attached when you get your Tacoma..
My iPhone and Tacoma are in Tacoma are constantly in a Dick measuring contest with me in the middle . I think the culprit is the iPhone. But apparently when the 2016 and 2017 Tacomas were made the technology wasn’t specifically adapted for Apple phones and even the software patches from both companies.. my Bluetooth connections and phone calls are modest at best..
Never had that problem with my old android

Last edited:

Coldtrail

WKR
Stock 3rd gen 6cyl auto, bought it used a year ago, first long trip went into the rockies last fall with 400lbs in the bed and towing a 1700lb pop up, a little spongy in the rear end when hitting bumps but not enough to make me swear at it. I read all the no power reviews before buying & in "S" mode it was fine, on the big climbs it struggled a bit but so would every other truck I ever owned.

I used to make the same trip with same gear# in an F150 with inline 6 & 4sp manual and a V8 Dodge with a 5speed manual.....I'll take the Toyota over either of those setups, it all about what you're used to I guess.

One negative, I didn't get much female attention, thinking maybe adding some excessive LED lighting will make up for the unkempt 50yo man behind the wheel?!? Thoughts? 😁

Bluefish

WKR
I had a 2000 which replaced an 89 and it was miserable. Springs were soft yet the shocks had too much high speed damping. Made it wallow with any sort of load and hammer you on any expansion joints. Swore off Toyotas after that. Ended up with a 21 due to it being one of only two trucks left available with a manual, jeep is the other and aside from price difference, reliability is suspect. The 21 is better although it is still a bit harsh over expansion joints. Power is decent, milage is 20-21, so poor. Overall a decent truck and wasnt horribly expense.