TAC Arrows

cured_ham

WKR
I am planning on going to the SE region Total Archery Challenge. I do not want to take my Valkyries there, it would hurt a good bit to lose one of those. They are awesome arrows, just not something I want to fling 120 yards at a 3D turkey.

I am planning on building a dozen arrows and plan to match the weight of my hunting setup. Anyone have a recommendation for how many arrows I should bring? I occasionally shoot out to 90 yards and generally hit where I am wanting. Will be on the course Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks!

TBHasler

WKR
Only you can answer this question; individual skill level dictates this and it’s different for all.
I have noticed that there are those that are more conservative at these shoots and don’t push beyond their limit and those that will go well beyond what they know they can do. For the later, I’ve seen guys go thru a dozen a weekend.

CB4

WKR
Easton discontinued the a few arrows last year and some places may have them on clearance. Or you could see if Lancaster or BlackOvis have an open box that are now discounted. Facebook archery groups may be a good place to post in as well.

Gorp2007

WKR
Depends on your comfort level and what courses you're shooting. I shot the South Dakota TAC two years ago and lost five over two days. Two were claimed by the steel supports in the buffalo's leg, one to some rocks, and two are just out there somewhere. I was very comfortable practicing to 80 yards and didn't shoot anything past 75 out on the course, but couldn't resist that damn 100 yard buffalo at the practice range. I'd pack at least a dozen, or maybe bring a dedicated half dozen for those "f*** it, let's see what happens" shots.

Assuming you're planning to shoot one 25-target course each day, I'd recommend bringing somewhere between 1 and 50 arrows ;). I labored over how many arrows to build for my first TAC and settled on 24 for 3 days of shooting 1 course per day. I came home with 23 intact arrows. That's not to say I'm a dead aim shooter (shot plenty of 5-pointers), but I was clearly over supplied with spare arrows. I'd be plenty comfortable taking 12 instead of 24 next time. The right number for you is completely dependent on your shooting ability and risk tolerance. I can't speak from experience about the Southeast event, but many of the targets at TAC San Antonio had unforgiving backstops (i.e., rock outcroppings).

KB86

FNG
You would be fine with a dozen. I am in the same boat though, not sure I want to shoot my good arrows. last time I think I wrecked 5 arrows

Zac

WKR
I think you'd be well suited with something like the Easton Bowhunters. Super easy to build, good tolerances, very economical. You could throw on some really low profile fletches and glue in some target points.

nphunter

WKR
I've done a lot of 3D shoots without losing an arrow, on average I would say I lose/damage 1 per shoots. I also enter in all the smoker shoots and long-range comps which is typically where an arrow would be lost. The smoker shoots are 50-80 yards non-marked with no range finder and you're only allowed 1 arrow and if you lose or break it you're out.

I believe TAC allows a range finder so if you plan on shooting 120 yards then just practice a lot. I really feel like you will be doing yourself a disservice if you shoot a different weight arrow, if you shoot your hunting setup you will gain a ton of knowledge on your setup by shooting it at longer ranges/steep angles etc. At a minimum, I would build an arrow that has the same trajectory as your current ones. Shoot them both at 100 yards so they have the same POI, this way you will not have to adjust your sight and you will have a bunch of practice arrows.

Shooting long range is fun and really isn't that difficult after practicing.

bat-cave

WKR
I brought 2 dozen to TAC in CO last year ... lost 2. 1 to rebar in the leg of a target at 121 yards and another from being tired and launching an arrow into the tree's (punched during the draw cycle). I also shot the Mtn Archery Fest the following weekend, zero arrows lost. My older kids each lost 1 or 2 and my youngest ... lost something like 8 on day 1 of TAC and then a couple more on day two.

If it was unknown yardage ... I might be arrowless. :)

Reactions: ZDR
OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I was totally planning on matched weight arrows. Definitely have the bow specs to go out as far as I want with 80 @ 30.5. 540 grains runs at 292 which should get me out there.

ZDR

WKR
I've done a lot of 3D shoots without losing an arrow, on average I would say I lose/damage 1 per shoots. I also enter in all the smoker shoots and long-range comps which is typically where an arrow would be lost. The smoker shoots are 50-80 yards non-marked with no range finder and you're only allowed 1 arrow and if you lose or break it you're out.

I believe TAC allows a range finder so if you plan on shooting 120 yards then just practice a lot. I really feel like you will be doing yourself a disservice if you shoot a different weight arrow, if you shoot your hunting setup you will gain a ton of knowledge on your setup by shooting it at longer ranges/steep angles etc. At a minimum, I would build an arrow that has the same trajectory as your current ones. Shoot them both at 100 yards so they have the same POI, this way you will not have to adjust your sight and you will have a bunch of practice arrows.

Shooting long range is fun and really isn't that difficult after practicing.
Great advice here...

Gorp2007

WKR
Signed up for the Texas shoot, all three days and shooting the longer courses Saturday and Sunday. So just in case I ordered up some extras. I was going to go with 4 extra to get me to 15, but free shipping at $99 means I’ll be heading out with 18 in the quiver. Still cheaper than shooting 9mm right now!

D_Eightch

WKR
Have you done a fair amount of shooting at an angle and side hill type situations?

One year my buddy had to run and get another dozen, so it depends on how confident you are in your shooting abilities lol.

If you're confident in your shooting you should be more than fine with a dozen.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I took 12 last year. Brought home 11. Misread the range finder on a Mountain Lion.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
yea I’m currently having the inner conversation on what I want to bring. I’m fairly new to hunting in the mountains and 3D shoots, but I’m not new to shooting and feel confident hitting all the targets after watching some videos on YouTube. I’m going to bring my hunting setup arrows lighted nocks and all. Probably use the ones that don’t spin quite right or have been shot a bunch and if I break or lose some.... they weren’t the #1’s anyways.

Wolfmann

FNG
I'd build something you wont cry if you break. The Tac I shot if you missed the arrow was going to be broken. Many of the targets had a pile of carbon laying around them and any course other than the locals course is a challenge even for someone who can shoot.

wayoh22

WKR
Been to two TAC's, total of 7 days. Have only lost 4 arrows ever. It's the guys who go beyond their means that lose them all.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I am not shooting TAC this year (tore labrum and had surgery). My girlfriend will be. Built her two dozen on BlackEagle renegade with 3 fletch Max Stealth and stock 51 grain halfout. Under 200 for two dozen arrows which should last her a long while.