Sweet new Pack-Raft Article - Luke Moffat

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great article Luke, I checked it out, loved the content and the pics, especially that first one with the gun in the foreground. Great stuff.

Coop, just have your Will done before you go, with me named as the beneficiary of your bows.

Mckinnon

WKR
Oh, I was looking for a thread on this but just posted in the general section, like I said over there, great article that could really open up a few areas for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Great write up Luke. The rafting looks like a ton of fun!

I didn't see any mention of photo credit on Huntinglife's write up..

TEmbry

WKR
Too many toys, not enough time. I may sell off my Aire whitewater kayak to pick up a pack raft instead... may just work a few OT shifts and have both. lol I definitely want to try and make the pack raft rondy this spring.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great write up Luke. The rafting looks like a ton of fun!

I didn't see any mention of photo credit on Huntinglife's write up..

HAHA...you are correct, I didn't either. Guess people just find pics on the internet these days for their write ups than actually use the stuff and get their own pics. I'm doing it all wrong. ;)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
HAHA...you are correct, I didn't either. Guess people just find pics on the internet these days for their write ups than actually use the stuff and get their own pics. I'm doing it all wrong. ;)

My personal favorite is the one they "borrowed" of you with the two boats....on our deck in your socks with your Rokslide t shirt on ;)

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, pretty sad to use your photos to promote his rental business. Even better is he talks about the PR-49 but apparently doesn't rent them. Tempted to leave a comment but if Luke isn't bothered by it then it's not my fight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wrote the site owner requesting he pull them. Will give him a chance to pull him for sure

Floorguy

WKR
I don't know if rokslide paid you for the article and the associated photos but if they did Ryan should probably be writing them as well.

What I wish the article addressed and what us noob packrafters need are tips on actually using the darn thing. How to strap a pack on, inflation tips (do you deflate it some when stopping for lunch on a hot day?), which PFD to buy and a list of do's and don'ts that an inexperienced rafter would never think of. Sure, anyone can learn the hard way but i prefer to learn from those who already learned the hard way. <g> I got the Alpaca Yukon Yak and a paddle but still don't know what to wear once I get it on the water. I assume waders for cold water but then, I hear they can drown ya once they fill up with water. How about another article for guys like me with info that'll keep us rightside up, comfortable and alive? Maybe include a pack list of things rafters must carry that nonrafters don't and how to fish from it without poking holes in it while keeping your gear organized? I can wait to try this baby out.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sorry Bruce. I guess I should write an article on that perhaps. This article was more or less showing what a packraft can do for you and places it and options it can open up for a person willing to think outside the box.

As for how to tie on a pack, Pfd, and such that stuff varies so much person to person IMO. Really there is no wrong way so long as it's secure. I do apologize the content my article lacked but it was more geared towards why you should get a packraft rather than how to outfit yourself for packrafting.

Much of what you are describing is best found out what works best for you as many people differ on pfds paddles and even dry suit vs rain gear. None of its wrong it's just more or less everyone finds out what suits them best after they realize what they want and best fits their expectations and needs for their style of packrafting.