Suppressors - first round impact shift

Bowfinn

FNG
My DD Enticer S doesn’t show any of these problems with my 6.5 prc. In fact my precision has improved with it on vs off, but I think that’s recoil and muzzle blast reduction. I’m hoping to get it on the tikka 223 in a month or so. I’ll report back if I experience any weirdness but I’m not expecting it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shot the LTI this morning, no issues on 2 different rifles, small sample size but it worked as it should on a Seekins havak element 6.5c and a tikka 30-06.

I like it less than my TBAC ultra 7 and my scythe but more than my banish 30. That’s for another thread though.

Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
So I have an update and I’m now even more confused. In short, I went to the range today and shot very controlled off a bench with front/rear bag and found that the 223 had no issues but once again the 6.5Creed is showing a different POI with my first shot vs the next 3+.

Here’s the long version. My setup is two nearly identical tikka T3X lites, the first is .223 and the second is 6.5Creed. Both are set up with the Xeno Xero muzzle device and my suppressor is a harvester evo with the Xeno adapter. I used direct thread with 0 issues until this summer at which point I decided to try the Xeno system as I built an AR that used this muzzle device.

With the 223 and my suppressor today, I had zero issues. I re-zeroed with hunting ammo today. First picture is initial 5 shot group. Moved D0.1 and R0.1, shot group in second picture. Moved D0.1 further (so D0.2 total). I then proceeded to remove and re-attach the suppressor between each of the next 5 shots and shot the group on the third photo. Clearly no issues with the Xeno system on the 223 and it appears very consistent when removed and reattached.

Move on the to 6.5, do the same thing hoping won’t see any POI shift and I can blame what I saw last time on me, the shooter. This was the same 130 TMK load as last time I posted in this thread. First shot is marked for all groups with blue arrow in photos 4-7. The first three targets are 3 shot groups and between targets I allowed the can to cool to where it was just warm and could be easily held. For the last target I shot 5 total to see if it was still grouping well (I usually shoot this rifle with about 2” 10-shot groups prone off a pack so had hoped for this or better off a bench with bags. Similar to last time, most groups with the TMK’s appear to have a first impact that is 1.5-2” high and left, then the next shots all group fairly well. The last 5 shot group did not show this pattern but the other three did, as did multiple targets from last range session where I shot 10 shot groups.

I’m going to remove the Xeno system and try both rifles with direct thread adapter tomorrow. I’ll be sure to provide updates. As an aside, I did check scope rings, scope mounts and action screws afterwards to avoid other variables. Scope ring/mount were good. I found action screws were torqued to more than 45 but not quite 65 inch pounds. I have since added new loctite and torqued to 65 in pounds so that won’t be an issue next time.

Edit - Added photos

Attachments

• IMG_9211.jpeg
    IMG_9211.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9212.jpeg
    IMG_9212.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9213.jpeg
    IMG_9213.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9214.jpeg
    IMG_9214.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9215.jpeg
    IMG_9215.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9216.jpeg
    IMG_9216.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9217.jpeg
    IMG_9217.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 3

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
No scope adjustments with the 14 6.5 shots, correct? If you overlay those impacts it looks like a 2.5 moa group? Might have a bigger cone of fire than you thought.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
No scope adjustments with the 14 6.5 shots, correct? If you overlay those impacts it looks like a 2.5 moa group? Might have a bigger cone of fire than you thought.
Yes that is correct. Usually a 1.5” rifle off a pack, would expect that or better off a bench. Here is the photo I shared last week, note all groups would be 10 shot 1.5” or better if not the for the first shot being high and left. That’s what led to more testing off a bench tonight.

Edit for clarification: I did adjust scope on these groups as I was setting zero for TMK hunting load.

Attachments

• IMG_9194.png
    IMG_9194.png
    843 KB · Views: 0

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider

I did attempt to measure the group by superimposing all shots and you’re correct it was roughly 2.5” for 14 shots.