Suppressors - first round impact shift

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Once again, great. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work.
Being overly cautious isn't that helpful. We have all heard the recommendations and yet haven't seen a shred of proof that thread adapters are worse in any way

I really like the LPM Mach S for the size, weight, and suppression.
+1 to the LPM Mach S. Sweet can by a local company and shooter. Really good suppression. Better than my Ultra 7

ElPollo

WKR
If anyone is using a thread pitch adapter, you're adding stacking tolerances, and that's not good

When you use a muzzle device to mount a suppressor, you're adding "stuff". And anytime you add stuff to your mix, you will get different outcomes. Different muzzle devices make bullets and gas travel differently.

Depending on the cartridge, it doesn't take much to get a silencer too hot to handle.
I have about 3k rounds through one of my AB cans across 3 different calibers ranging from 223 to 300 WSM and 5 different guns. All but one of those guns use adapters, and I have never had the sort of problems represented in this thread. I don’t think it’s an adapter issue and if I’m not able to use adapters, I’m not interested. It been well documented that all of the stuff we’ve heard about adapters and the requirement for a shoulder on your threads is just dogma with no basis in fact. The problem being discussed here sounds like quality control issues from DD. That’s not surprising given the growth phase the industry is going through. Let’s hope they get their issues sorted out because that Wolf Hunter looks like a pretty sweet can if it works right.

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s unfortunate.

I have cans I regret in the safe. They never get used. Expensive mistakes.

I’m thousands of rounds and multiple barrel into the three main suppressors I shoot, all Tbac, without any issues what so ever.

I fear not adapters. My primary dislike of them is they are an additional cost, often weight, and another thing with potential to come loose. It seems like many of the suppressor companies prefer them, it cant just be to sell muzzle devices? Most of the real duty, full auto type suppressors basically mandate them.

I can see potential for tolerance stacking becoming an issue with poorly machined parts but also don't worry about it causing problems in most cases.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Once again, great. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work.

Yes, I could. I could also share personal experience of when it does work. Neither of the opposing experience changes that some outer diameters are not large enough in relation to the bore diameter for certain thread pitches.

Relate your personal experiences with thread adaptors causing problems.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Edit: @Formidilosus, how many rounds have you shot suppressed using an adaptor — over 100k?

Considering that every muzzle brake/flash hider suppressor mount is a “thread adapter”, way more than that. Between the S2H classes and practice, somewhere over 60,000 rounds last year alone- shot or directly witnessed shot from suppressors with thread adaptors.

Every single carbine SOCOM uses has a suppressor with muzzle adapter; every single USMC infantry, recon and force recon M27 has a muzzle adapter with suppressor, every single US Mil sniper rifle has a suppressor with a muzzle adapter- save one; etc, etc, etc etc…. The whole thing is a joke.