Suppressor tips?

TBAC Ultra7 and 22Takedown are never bad ideas.
I'll reiterate this, same as most other people. I have the TBAC Ultra-5, Ultra-7, Ultra-9 (30 cal gen 1), Ultra-9 (6.5 cal gen 2), 338 Ultra (gen 1), and the 22 Takedown. They're all awesome for the things I use them for. I'd highly recommend getting a .22 suppressor when you get your centerfire one. It's the one you'll get the most mileage out of by a long shot, and it's also the only one that's Hollywood quiet.

If repeatability/weight/suppression are your thing and you want an easy button gold standard, just get a TBAC and don't think about it again. And people will tell you all sorts of stupid stuff about how their suppressors are just as good at half the price but they're always giving up something in another category like weight. Just check out the Silencer Summit's numbers as they're the most updated and probably have the best standard practices of measurement of any mass-tests so far. Not necessarily saying TBAC is the be-all-end-all but it's probably the brand you're least likely to overthink or go wrong with.

Last edited:

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail but I'm still waiting for someone to give commentary and add context to the suppressor summit results. Like which testing parameter should we be focusing on to make decisions based on? Right, wrong, or otherwise at least Pew Science results provide some feedback, explanation and context vs spreadsheets and acronyms

WKR
Go look at what most of the top precision shooters use and it’s dominated by Thunderbeast still. POI shift on cans is real and TBAC is unbeatable in that category.
I've noticed everyone kinda thumps their chest about TBAC cans being more accurate. Is there any data or explanation for this being real or is it marketing?

Bluefish

WKR
Subs with trailboss are fairly quiet. I've got an sbr 458 socom using a hybrid and it's a fun setup that smashes deer and hogs. If I were buying today, it would be a Fly 45 though.
I looked at the fly 45 and it’s not that quiet, not hearing safe with full power 45-70 and still loud even with subs and not rated for below 16” barrel. Seems more like a pistol can that can handle some rifle rounds vs a large bore rifle can.
I would really like to see what AB can do, but when I talked to them they didnt want to do a 45 can and have people run small calibers through as it would drop performance too much. I get that its a niche market, but so are silencers.

Samson7x

WKR
I've noticed everyone kinda thumps their chest about TBAC cans being more accurate. Is there any data or explanation for this being real or is it marketing?

Their manufacturing processes and tolerances. Watch their vids on runout (or lack thereof). Baffle geometry also likely plays a role in regards to bullet stabilization.

Samson7x

WKR
I looked at the fly 45 and it’s not that quiet, not hearing safe with full power 45-70 and still loud even with subs and not rated for below 16” barrel. Seems more like a pistol can that can handle some rifle rounds vs a large bore rifle can.
I would really like to see what AB can do, but when I talked to them they didnt want to do a 45 can and have people run small calibers through as it would drop performance too much. I get that its a niche market, but so are silencers.

Nothing will be hearing safe with full power 45-70 most likely. No sbr is a deal breaker for me with my 458. It is definitely a pistol can but I hadn't researched it enough to know barrel restrictions, etc. You're kind of limited with 45 stuff. Hybrid, Primal, Bushwhacker are going to be the key players here. I think Rex makes one too but don't know much about it.

Edit: https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/rex-silentium/silencers/large-bore/rex-silentium-mg7-458/

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a mask and a 2nd in jail. Otter Creek is releasing a Ti .22 next month that I might add to the collection as well.

Looking good, fixes some of the complaints I have with the takedown 22, although idk about the rear end not coming off, I could see that causing issues when it comes time to clean it. Who knows. All titanium, longer thread shank, no worrying about unscrewing the thread portion.

Only thing that would make it better is if they keyed the suppressor to the thread adapter. That way after cleaning it will index. Who knows maybe it does.

Either way I do enjoy my takedown 22 more than my griffin Optimus micro. Mine lives on a 17 though. Suppressed 22lr is cool and all, but novelty as I see it. Suppressed 17hmr makes for a pretty quiet varmint gun.

Samson7x

WKR
A suppressed MKiv is an awesome little grouse gun. I love carrying mine and it doesn't' weight a whole lot. 22lr cans are stupid light too.

The mk4 lite with aluminum can is perfect combo. Killed lots of critters with mine.

B23

WKR
I want a takedown 22. I got a dead air mask but sort of think I need a takedown 22 as well.
I think those are two of the best rimfire cans on the market.

I have two older TBAC sealed rimfire cans, the 22-L and 22-S, but they aren't rated for anything more than a 17 HMR so when I bought my Banish 30 I also got two of their Banish 22 rimfire cans. At first I thought they had a bit more FRP then the TD22 and DA Mask but after using them more they're a pretty darn good rimfire can. They are very light, just a little over 4oz, and they're rated for FN5.7x28 as well as 17 Hornet and shooting a 17 Hornet suppressed just makes you giggle like a little girl everytime you pull the trigger.

tony

WKR
3 questions
1. What happens if you move and or move to a different state during the process? Im a nurse by trade and might do a travel gig next year. I would keep my physical address. Can the suppressor be shipped to the state I’m working? (If legal there). Or maybe my parents place which is in Ohio? (I’m in WV)

2. Trust- I think I get the gist of it. Someone on it can use it? I’m single, my parents are older, and while my step dad is a gun nerd. He doesn’t shoot rifles. And my daughter would have no interest in it. I know this is a selling point silencer central likes to show off as they offer it “free”. Anybody else offer them as well?

3. Direct thread is just what it says? Screws on the barrel.

SloppyJ

WKR
Where are you guys finding the trailboss? I've resorted to light loads of pistol powder. 5.5gr of titegroup in my .30-30 is stupid quiet. Going to try some .308 next.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think those are two of the best rimfire cans on the market.

I have two older TBAC sealed rimfire cans, the 22-L and 22-S, but they aren't rated for anything more than a 17 HMR so when I bought my Banish 30 I also got two of their Banish 22 rimfire cans. At first I thought they had a bit more FRP then the TD22 and DA Mask but after using them more they're a pretty darn good rimfire can. They are very light, just a little over 4oz, and they're rated for FN5.7x28 as well as 17 Hornet and shooting a 17 Hornet suppressed just makes you giggle like a little girl everytime you pull the trigger.
I have a banish 22 also and I actually like it a bit more than my dead air mask. I think it’s just as quiet, it’s also 1/3rd the weight of the dead air and it’s full titanium so easier to clean than the dead air.

Reactions: B23

Bluefish

WKR
3 questions
1. What happens if you move and or move to a different state during the process? Im a nurse by trade and might do a travel gig next year. I would keep my physical address. Can the suppressor be shipped to the state I’m working? (If legal there). Or maybe my parents place which is in Ohio? (I’m in WV)

2. Trust- I think I get the gist of it. Someone on it can use it? I’m single, my parents are older, and while my step dad is a gun nerd. He doesn’t shoot rifles. And my daughter would have no interest in it. I know this is a selling point silencer central likes to show off as they offer it “free”. Anybody else offer them as well?

3. Direct thread is just what it says? Screws on the barrel.
1) If You move states, I think you have to abandon and resubmit. I was recently looking for something else. Look around, there are answers on this. If you can keep you base address until approved, then no issue to move after.

2)advantage of a trust is you can add people to let them use it if you are not there or a spouse can have access to your safe. Down side is every submission is for every person in the trust. 5 people, 5 sets of prints on each submission. Used to be a loophole as you could add without submitting fingerprints. That was changed years ago so every member has to go through the same process. also can not add a person with an open submission. Since the atf is so slow I might never have a down time to add someone to my trust.
3) yes, just threads on.