Suppressor tips?

atmat

WKR
Oh, the horror!........
Lol don’t be dramatic. I didn’t say it was horrible or that I dreaded it. I just said it’s enough that I personally wouldn’t advise for any larger, unless your scope is mounted higher than mine.

Lawnboi

WKR
Everyone always talks about the db numbers when recommending a suppressor. I have big and I have small. Here are some other factors you need to consider. You’re never going to get rid of the sonic crack on a center fire can. So even if you go with a suppressor that is quieter than the crack, in different environments it’s still above what you’re seeing in the sound data. Often I can’t even tell a difference. Personally after a 6-7” can on reasonable cartridges, you are at the point where you really need to consider what it’s going on beyond just getting the biggest DB reduction.

-Size and weight, effecting your rifles balance. A nose heavy rifle is not fun to carry in the field especially if you carry muzzle up.
-Repeatability, does it do the same exact thing every single time it comes off and goes on.
-Track record of the company. You’re married to the thing for life essentially.
-Personally I’m not buying a light can for hunting unless it’s all titanium so I can fill it with CLR to clean
-Ability to mount to hosts you own.
-Barrel length restrictions to future proof your choice.

I have a magnus that is an awesome shooting experience, but I’m not carrying it hunting even on my 16” rifle.

Like with anything it’s give and take. Owning a gambit of different sizes, I personally prefer the ultra 7 for hunting. So much I bought 2 of them.

Samson7x

WKR
Pew science or nothing.

Can't tell if serious.

Go read the threads on arfcom and take his data with a grain of salt. Check out the recent "silencer summit" data as well.

I'll also reiterate that arguing over a few dB is fruitless. You won't be able to tell the difference in real world situations.

Can't tell if serious.

Go read the threads on arfcom and take his data with a grain of salt. Check out the recent "silencer summit" data as well.

I'll also reiterate that arguing over a few dB is fruitless. You won't be able to tell the difference in real world situations.
Yea the pew science definitely needs to be taken with a grain of salt

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
If you live in Colorado I’d drive up to mile high shooting. Do eform and buy a thunderbeast from them. They are legit and it’s quick. 5 months for my last one. I’d rather do it thru a dealer than doing the online deal like silencer shop. I didn’t have the best experience with silencer shop.
This is helpful, thanks! I wasn't familiar with them so I'll drive up there and start the process.

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my first suppressor (Ultra7). I see it through my scope on low power, so I’d be reluctant to go with a larger diameter can.

Also, I went through Scheels (not sure if you have one around). They do everything in house and it was great. And they price match, too.
Good to know. I'm about 10 minutes from Scheels so I'll have to see what they offer.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone always talks about the db numbers when recommending a suppressor. I have big and I have small. Here are some other factors you need to consider. You’re never going to get rid of the sonic crack on a center fire can. So even if you go with a suppressor that is quieter than the crack, in different environments it’s still above what you’re seeing in the sound data. Often I can’t even tell a difference. Personally after a 6-7” can on reasonable cartridges, you are at the point where you really need to consider what it’s going on beyond just getting the biggest DB reduction.

-Size and weight, effecting your rifles balance. A nose heavy rifle is not fun to carry in the field especially if you carry muzzle up.
-Repeatability, does it do the same exact thing every single time it comes off and goes on.
-Track record of the company. You’re married to the thing for life essentially.
-Personally I’m not buying a light can for hunting unless it’s all titanium so I can fill it with CLR to clean
-Ability to mount to hosts you own.
-Barrel length restrictions to future proof your choice.

I have a magnus that is an awesome shooting experience, but I’m not carrying it hunting even on my 16” rifle.

Like with anything it’s give and take. Owning a gambit of different sizes, I personally prefer the ultra 7 for hunting. So much I bought 2 of them.
Agreed 100% with everything he said, and the list of reasons he made are far more important than db numbers. The lifetime investment of a can turns up the "buy once cry once" factor to 11.

In the end, all the hoohaa about numbers and the "my can is quieter" is overwhelming and largely irrelevant.

My top priority was precision, and because of the reputation of Thunderbeast I got the Ultra 7 to run on my 7 SS.

That is the second suppressor I bought. And, the third suppressor that I buy will be a second Thunderbeast. It may even an Ultra 5 to run on my .223 and 6 BRA because I am thinking about prioritizing size over sound reduction. But, it will be a Thunderbeast.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Do a trust & buy something light. My first suppressor was a used SF SOCOM 7.62 RC2, it is built like a tank and it works well but at 22 oz it is awfully heavy. Recently (4 weeks ago) I ordered a TBAC Dominus CB from Capital Armory to use on my hunting rifle. Capital Armory was the easy button, they have their stuff together.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Do a trust & buy something light. My first suppressor was a used SF SOCOM 7.62 RC2, it is built like a tank and it works well but at 22 oz it is awfully heavy. Recently (4 weeks ago) I ordered a TBAC Dominus CB from Capital Armory to use on my hunting rifle. Capital Armory was the easy button, they have their stuff together.
Same boat here. My first one was a AAC Cyclone 7.62 that I've had for several years. That can lives on a 18" 6.5 creedmoor but it gets carried to a deer stand and that's it.

TBAC 7 seems to be a good one. I have an Omega 300 in jail at the moment. There are so many options you just honestly have to look at and hold as many as you can.

Look at 30 cal cans with K config...I use mine full size on my bolt guns 7", but break it down to the k config, 5.5" for my ARs. Agree on dedicated 22 can. Weigh it as soon as you get it...clean once it gains a couple oz...Start saving money to chop and thread barrels...18" barrel with a 7" can is just right. Make sure you look at barrel length restrictions...I went with a titanium 30 cal, no barrel restrictions, full auto rated, and it has a k config, 3 yrs in couldn't be happier.

B23

WKR
One more thing…a warning…you can’t just have one suppressor so be careful
Ain't that the truth! These things are like opening a new can of Pringles, you can't just have one.

I think someone already mentioned this but when you set out to purchase your first centerfire can just pony up a few hundred more and buy a good rimfire can at the same time and make sure the rimfire can you get is good to go on everything and including FN 5.7x28. Rimfires and even my 17 Hornets are soooooo much fun to shoot suppressed.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Ain't that the truth! These things are like opening a new can of Pringles, you can't just have one.

I think someone already mentioned this but when you set out to purchase your first centerfire can just pony up a few hundred more and buy a good rimfire can at the same time and make sure the rimfire can you get is good to go on everything and including FN 5.7x28. Rimfires and even my 17 Hornets are soooooo much fun to shoot suppressed.
That is the truth, 22 LR is a hoot to shoot with a suppressor.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
That is the truth, 22 LR is a hoot to shoot with a suppressor.

This is absolutely no joke. I shoot my .22 in the driveway every evening. My 6 year old is really taking a big interest in shooting because of it. She hates loud noises, the .22 suppressor has really sparked an interest in shooting for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with a TBAC ultra 7, purchased from Mile High Shooting Supply, and I went with the Area 419 hellfire mount system.

For the A419 mount, all you have to do is buy the U7 as a CB mount version with no CB adapter, and buy the hellfire suppressor mount for the ultra 7. After that it’s $40 for new adapters for each rifle and you can buy them in any thread pitch you run. This really only applies if you want to mount it on several rifles. Especially if you have some with 9/16 threads vs 5/8, etc. If all you plan to shoot with it are rifles with 5/8 thread and you aren’t always swapping it around, you could just go direct thread for simplicity.

Samson7x

WKR
I went with a TBAC ultra 7, purchased from Mile High Shooting Supply, and I went with the Area 419 hellfire mount system.

For the A419 mount, all you have to do is buy the U7 as a CB mount version with no CB adapter, and buy the hellfire suppressor mount for the ultra 7. After that it’s $40 for new adapters for each rifle and you can buy them in any thread pitch you run. This really only applies if you want to mount it on several rifles. Especially if you have some with 9/16 threads vs 5/8, etc. If all you plan to shoot with it are rifles with 5/8 thread and you aren’t always swapping it around, you could just go direct thread for simplicity.

They also have HUB models now too. Can use any mounting system you want. I just snagged a U5 in HUB for the flexibility although I’ve never had an issue with CB.

SloppyJ

WKR
I just went through this. It can be an obsession if you have a bunch of different weapons and platforms. I wholeheartedly recommend getting at least 1 .22 can with your first purchase. They're cheap and a blast to play with. With my kids, it's a must at this point.

Your best bet is a good 30cal can for your 7mm. I went with a AB Raptor 10 in 7.62 with a 3" reflex and an AB Little Bird (.22). About 100 days into that wait, modern warriors had a sale and I picked up a CGS Hydra (.22), and a YHM R9.

My last two cans got approved first at 112 days and my ABs got approved at 256 days roughly 2 weeks later. Both were approved in pairs. The only given is that if you're even thinking about it, there's no better time to get your paperwork in than yesterday.

I bought all of mine through online vendors who transfered them to a local FFL who has a silencer shop kisok in his store. I did all of my paperwork through silencer shop online and did the finger prints at the kiosk. I did a single shot trust on all of them. I'd recommend that 100%.

If you're hunting with it, a titanium can that's as short as possible with the level of sound suppression you want. After all of my research, the AB Raptor seemed to be the best for my needs. There are tons of YouTube videos and reviews all over the internet.

Otter Creek Labs, Dilligent Defense, TBAC, CGS, and AB all likely have cans that will suit you but you need to dive in to see what you're really wanting.

My Raptor is by far my quietest can but my YHM R9 might be my favorite because it's so versatile. I can swap it from my 300blk, to my .308, to my 30-30, and then to my 9mm pistol. It's perfect for the range and just messing around and has very respectable decibel reduction on all. My 30-30 with my subsonic loads is ridiculous.

Skip the QD BS right now and just focus on direct thread. If you research like me, that will save you at least a week or two of pounding your head against the wall. With that said, I find it important to have a can that has the universal HUB thread pitch so it doesn't lock you down to a specific type of mount in the future.

There, that's about all I've learned in the past year on the subject. I have 4 now, covering almost all of my bases buy I imagine I'll be putting in some paperwork for a 5th shortly. I want to try a Dilligent Defense or OCL can.