Suppressor tips?

I've just started researching suppressors for my next rifle. I'm totally new to this and don't know much about suppressors, so I'm reading all that I can about them. I'm about 90% set on a Seekins Element in 7 PRC next year, so I'm planning ahead and will hopefully pick it up after the new year. That being said, I would love to get started on the process of finding a suppressor now since I've heard it can take forever to get approved. I'm located in CO. Does that matter? Has anyone else in CO gone through this process recently?

Also open to any recommendations for suppressors. Thanks!
Only two things matter, length and girth..
If you're looking for a 7" can don't waste your money on TBAC get a YHM Resonator R2.
If you want max suppression and recoil reduction go with a Nomad LT or CGS Hyperion.
Another to consider is the Diligent Defense Enticer L

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Only two things matter, length and girth..
If you're looking for a 7" can don't waste your money on TBAC get a YHM Resonator R2.
If you want max suppression and recoil reduction go with a Nomad LT or CGS Hyperion.
Another to consider is the Diligent Defense Enticer L
That YHM can weighs like 1/2lb more than a TBAC 7 and isn’t as quiet.

if you care about accuracy on a bolt gun, it’s hard to beat Thunderbeast. I have the Ultra 7 and 9. Big fan. Go over to Mile High Shooting and pick one up from them. They’ll file the paperwork directly to the ATF eform so you don’t have to use one of the online companies that typically delay your paperwork by an extra month. I know everyone says use a trust but be prepared to greatly extend your wait time. I don’t plan to have anyone else own my suppressors so I only file individual, much quicker. Got my last can back in 5 months.

Also, lots of folks recommending AR15 style cans need to understand that precision rifle cans and your everyday semi auto cans have two different applications. It’s better to have a dedicated can for either one. Go look at what most of the top precision shooters use and it’s dominated by Thunderbeast still. POI shift on cans is real and TBAC is unbeatable in that category.

Saw someone recommend Dead Air as well, stay far away from them. They’re having an awful time with their QA/QC. Lots of their cans are failing prematurely and their warranty process it’s taking 9+ months to fix.

Samson7x

WKR
if you care about accuracy on a bolt gun, it’s hard to beat Thunderbeast. I have the Ultra 7 and 9. Big fan. Go over to Mile High Shooting and pick one up from them. They’ll file the paperwork directly to the ATF eform so you don’t have to use one of the online companies that typically delay your paperwork by an extra month. I know everyone says use a trust but be prepared to greatly extend your wait time. I don’t plan to have anyone else own my suppressors so I only file individual, much quicker. Got my last can back in 5 months.

Also, lots of folks recommending AR15 style cans need to understand that precision rifle cans and your everyday semi auto cans have two different applications. It’s better to have a dedicated can for either one. Go look at what most of the top precision shooters use and it’s dominated by Thunderbeast still. POI shift on cans is real and TBAC is unbeatable in that category.

Saw someone recommend Dead Air as well, stay far away from them. They’re having an awful time with their QA/QC. Lots of their cans are failing prematurely and their warranty process it’s taking 9+ months to fix.

TBAC is the gold standard for precision bolt gun work and there's a reason they are recommended so much on here and snipershide. They've been in the game a very long time.

Yeah, the main benefit that most folks used a trust for went away with 41P. All my current purchases are as individual. I'm not informed of current wait times so can't speak to that. Nfatracker used to be the go to source for wait time estimates but I don't know anymore.

atmat

WKR
I know everyone says use a trust but be prepared to greatly extend your wait time. I don’t plan to have anyone else own my suppressors so I only file individual, much quicker. Got my last can back in 5 months.
I very recently used a Trust and my wait was only 7 months. There’s lots of benefits of using a trust. First and foremost is allowing my children to use my suppressors when I’m not immediately around — anyone can be added or removed and it takes 5 minutes.

RussDXT

WKR
Avoid Dead Air! I have a nomad ti they forgot to weld and they can’t give me a timeline on when they will get around to fixing it, the can came apart where the baffles start. Completely unacceptable.

I have a ultra 5 and 9 that have been perfect. The 5 is super impressive for a hunting can. As a bonus tb will clean them free of charge once a year.

Wish I would have gotten a 7 instead of a nomad ti.

That YHM can weighs like 1/2lb more than a TBAC 7 and isn’t as quiet.
Yeah it is, I've personally shot one and it surprised everyone in the group how quiet it was.
And it's just as repeatable as any TBAC, we tested that too.
If 6 oz is worth twice the price then that's the only reason to go with an ultra 7.

Samson7x

WKR
Yeah it is, I've personally shot one and it surprised everyone in the group how quiet it was.
If 6 oz is worth twice the price then that's the only reason to go with an ultra 7.

Actually there are many reasons to choose a U7 over an R2. According to the "silencer summit" testing, on a 308 bolt rifle and measurements taken at shooters ear, the U7 was 133.09 dB, R2 was 133.94 dB. So basically no perceptible difference. Actual weights were U7 at 10.06oz and R2 at 19.86oz. Lengths were U7 at 7" and R2 at 8.28". So the R2 is almost twice the weight, over an inch longer, and with a less efficient baffle stack. I don't think you will convince anyone here that an R2 is a better can than the U7 for hunting applications. YHM isn't known for precision either. They're QD system is quite clunky, although I'm a fan of it for AR's. I say all of this as a YHM owner.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got an ultra 7 for under a thousand bucks so it’s not quite double the price either. I’m glad you like your silencer but it’s heavier, louder and not that much cheaper than an ultra 7.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do understand the whole thing where we feel the need to defend our silencers, we wait a long time to get them and we are more or less stuck with them once we do. I got a banish 30 and tried to convince myself it was as good as an ultra 7, once I got the ultra 7 though it was clear that the b30 isn’t as good. It’s still an ok silencer but I would have got the ultra 7 from the beginning if I was doing it again.

JGRaider

WKR
Shot a couple hundred hogs and about 70 whitetail does with the YHM Resonator, and Resonator K. Great performers, no issues at all, and the price is right. I'd buy another in a hearbeat.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Avoid Dead Air! I have a nomad ti they forgot to weld and they can’t give me a timeline on when they will get around to fixing it, the can came apart where the baffles start. Completely unacceptable.

I have a ultra 5 and 9 that have been perfect. The 5 is super impressive for a hunting can. As a bonus tb will clean them free of charge once a year.

Wish I would have gotten a 7 instead of a nomad ti.

You can thank KGM for that, had the same thing happen to two of mine and KGM couldn’t be bothered to fix their own mistake in a timely manner nor did they bother to clean the blast media out of it after they finally got around to fixing it. Took me hours to clean the blast media out of every nook of my rifle after the first shots loosened some the media up which promptly fell into my action once I put it in the rack. Then several more hours spent getting the rest of it out of the cans and I still have some show up even a year later.

Aside from that issue I do really like the Nomad L & Ti that I have and after they get their QC issues fixed I would definitely consider buying the Nomad LT for a hunting can on my 7 PRC and leave the Nomad L for the target rifles.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You can thank KGM for that, had the same thing happen to two of mine and KGM couldn’t be bothered to fix their own mistake in a timely manner nor did they bother to clean the blast media out of it after they finally got around to fixing it. Took me hours to clean the blast media out of every nook of my rifle after the first shots loosened some the media up which promptly fell into my action once I put it in the rack. Then several more hours spent getting the rest of it out of the cans and I still have some show up even a year later.

Aside from that issue I do really like the Nomad L & Ti that I have and after they get their QC issues fixed I would definitely consider buying the Nomad LT for a hunting can on my 7 PRC and leave the Nomad L for the target rifles.
I really like my dead air mask 22 but it’s pretty unlikely that a 22 is going to blow a silencer apart so not comparable to what’s going on with those centerfire silencers.

Kerbs

FNG
Lots of good threads on rokslide, but my one piece of advice is to go ahead and get a rimfire can at the same time. Supressed .22 subsonic is so much fun that I put a 2nd rimfire can in jail so I don't have to mess with swapping between my two .22s.

Pew science has some good info - https://pewscience.com/rankings

I have used silencer shop a couple times and have had a good experience so far. Was looking pretty hard at a dead air LTi, but with the customer service issues they have been having lately, went with Otter Creek Hydrogen L.

the /r/nfa subreddit has a pretty active communty, along with wait time trackers.
This every time. .22lr suppressors are the best fun factor in suppressor land that exists. And if it gets you to shoot more it's a win win.

From personal use I can recommend either the TBAC 7 or Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti. These are the two I run most often on my hunting rifles. I believe most TBACs are either CB mount or Hub. (I believe direct thread is by special order only now.) So understand how you are going to mount it and use it. I have over 20 cans and some are not supported any more which is really a PITA at times. Also as other have said, if it's your first and you get a TBAC, go with the 7. The 5 is quite a bit louder and the 9 is unruly when carrying.

Bluefish

WKR
I am beginning to think ultimate quiet isn’t the main thing to look for. Really I won’t ever use it without ear pro at the range, so 135 vs 125 doesn’t matter. Although it does need to be hearing safe for a single shot while hunting, so under 140. After that size and weight become the driving decision maker and bore size.

I have 2 cans now, with 3 more in jail and planning on another soon. Going to add a dedicated 30 cal. My 45 cal can is huge and heavy. Unfortunately there are no short, light 45 cal rifle cans. Also not many options for 35 cal. Very little testing on the mid/big bore cans. if you look at the summit testing, only 4 45 cal cans.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I am beginning to think ultimate quiet isn’t the main thing to look for. Really I won’t ever use it without ear pro at the range, so 135 vs 125 doesn’t matter. Although it does need to be hearing safe for a single shot while hunting, so under 140. After that size and weight become the driving decision maker and bore size.

I have 2 cans now, with 3 more in jail and planning on another soon. Going to add a dedicated 30 cal. My 45 cal can is huge and heavy. Unfortunately there are no short, light 45 cal rifle cans. Also not many options for 35 cal. Very little testing on the mid/big bore cans. if you look at the summit testing, only 4 45 cal cans.

Even longer 45 cal cans aren’t that quiet, I shoot a hybrid 46 on my 45-70 and my smokeless muzzleloader, it tames the recoil and helps mitigate the sound but it’s nowhere near as quiet as the Nomad Ti on my 30-06 despite biting the same power charge.

Now the subs are an entirely different matter, the 410 Sub X over trailboss is a hoot to shoot and the impact at 100 is louder than the shot.

Bluefish

WKR
Now the subs are an entirely different matter, the 410 Sub X over trailboss is a hoot to shoot and the impact at 100 is louder than the shot.
I hope to find out soon. Just got the can last week and no range time yet. The data from the summit suggest 45 cal still isn’t that quiet even with sub loads. Going to be my deer setup this year. 500g subsonic 45-70 from an sbr. 24” barrel + can and sub 8 lbs with can. Woods I hunt are usually sub 50 yard shots.

Samson7x

WKR
I hope to find out soon. Just got the can last week and no range time yet. The data from the summit suggest 45 cal still isn’t that quiet even with sub loads. Going to be my deer setup this year. 500g subsonic 45-70 from an sbr. 24” barrel + can and sub 8 lbs with can. Woods I hunt are usually sub 50 yard shots.

Subs with trailboss are fairly quiet. I've got an sbr 458 socom using a hybrid and it's a fun setup that smashes deer and hogs. If I were buying today, it would be a Fly 45 though.

lak2004

WKR
I'm on the same path, looking at the tbac 7, scythe ti, and raptor 8. Haven't looked into a 22 can yet, but will start down that rabbit hole soon. Good luck.