Suppressor covers - who's and why

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Semi serious question, can I just duct tape a piece of welding blanket/felt on and call it a day? Could get fancy and sew some Cordura on the outside. Mirage has been driving me nuts after 2-3 shots, but $80 for a can condom?
I like this idea. Couple wraps secured with a rubber band would help with mirage. Mirage is actually worse when target shooting in the cold due to the more extreme temperature difference. Keep in your range bag as needed.

Last edited:
I use the varmegedon one. I like it. If you doing any shooting that suppressor can heat up and cause mirage.

I actually use mine more for hunting only because I like the camo aspect. Those suppressors sure shine in the sun. They beam like a mirror flash. Whether that spooks animals or not is up to you. But I use a cover most for hunting just to get rid of that mirror flash off the end of you gun.
This. Helps mirage with thermal hunting

Lawnboi

WKR
Are guys really having issues with AG covers? I would agree they are heavy, and for hunting big game I normally don’t use one, but for every other time they are near necessity.

I have never had one move when I didn’t want it to, it slides back easy for cooling, isn’t hard to take on/pull off. Not terribly heavy.

Are guys really having issues with AG covers? I would agree they are heavy, and for hunting big game I normally don’t use one, but for every other time they are near necessity.

I have never had one move when I didn’t want it to, it slides back easy for cooling, isn’t hard to take on/pull off. Not terribly heavy.

Just minor gripes. Moves a little when shooting but I can keep it from going too far forward. Not many real life situations where it’s a problem but it’s too easy to be pushed back. The fact that it’s easy to slide back for cooling might make it more appealing for comps than the cam chaps one.

Bluumoon

WKR
silicone tape wrap suppressor silicone.jpgsilicone tape wrap after 700 roundssuppressor after 700 .jpgSilicone tape wrap after 40 rapid fire rounds. The silicone is fine, just the Coban melted. Towards the rear where not melted had an extra layer of silicone wrap. silicone 40 round .jpgA layer of header wrap was placed over this and will try again

Im talking about the covers,not the suppressors.
Guess that depends on how much you practice with the hunting rifle. If you only shoot a couple shots at a time (then wait a few mins between groups) or 3-5 shots to "sight in" before hunting season I suppose you don't need one.

Marshfly

WKR
Build a light weight rifle and spend a ton when you get down to ultra light and than put on one of these,I don’t get it.
The Coletac on my Scythe is 1.8 ounces. Well worth it for the protection. I don't know why some covers are so heavy. There's just not much to them. Mine stay on all the time. Zero reason to remove them ever really.

fwafwow

WKR
I shot the Magnus with the Scope Chaps and it worked very well on a 6.5 CM. I also shot the AG on the Ultra 9 (attached to a different rifle). Although I wasn't intended to be a comparison range session, I did tighten the AG more than usual and it still moved a bit (on a 223). If I had thought ahead, I could have shot them both on the same rifle and compared the mirage, time to cool, etc. Maybe next time.